Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2003, 11:19 PM   #1
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
> Subject: WARNING PLEASE READ THIS
> > >>
> > >> During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening
> >or
> > >>launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in
> >any
> > >>way, regardless of who sent it.
> > >>
> > >> PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
> > >>
> > >> FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE
> >CENTER &
> > >>IS REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY.....
> >THINKING ITS
> > >>A STORY RELATING TO 9/11 .....PLEASE BE CAREFUL....... BIGGGG TROUBLE
> >!!!!
> > >>DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor"
> > >>
> > >> It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will
> >come to
> > >>you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat a
> >friend sent
> > >>it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so
> >lucky
> > >>and now he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in
> >your
> > >>address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.
> > >>
> > >> If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it.
> > >>Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries
> >(.dll
> > >> >files) from your computer.
> > >>
> > >> PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE
Soo... a virus that clears your entire C:, but only removes *.dll - I know I have more than that on my Hard Drive, myself. It has stopped someone from being able to start their computer - no boot disks ?? That would usually mean a pirated OS anyway.
It comes in an email called "WTC Survivor", which would have been more relevant about a year ago...
"A friend sent it to me but called and warned me before I opened it" - so, he couldn`t start his computer, but he knew it was that email that did it. He also knew that it had sent itself to someone else, from him. If he knew that, why`d he open it ??
"I`d rather receive this 25 times than not at all" - well, I suppose that`s true. It`d be confirmation that the scam is working, atleast.

Some people realy must think the general online community is absolutely stupid.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:20 AM   #2
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Well its not as annoying as receiving that DAMN "if you don’t email this to 15 people you will be deleted from Hotmail" one. GRRRRR that pisses me off so much, how dumb do you have to be to do that? "If you email this to 15 people you will not get it again" I mean, if you were dumb enough to fall for it the first time this must give it away, surely! STUPID PEOPLE!!!! Ok... I’m calm... *Cough* sorry about that, its just that email has been sent to me over 20 times by only a dozen (stupid) people.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:02 AM   #3
Slizerio

I've never recieved an Email like that Mac and Yahoo must be bug-free [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2003, 04:53 AM   #4
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
Well its not as annoying as receiving that DAMN "if you don’t email this to 15 people you will be deleted from Hotmail" one. GRRRRR that pisses me off so much, how dumb do you have to be to do that? "If you email this to 15 people you will not get it again" I mean, if you were dumb enough to fall for it the first time this must give it away, surely! STUPID PEOPLE!!!! Ok... I’m calm... *Cough* sorry about that, its just that email has been sent to me over 20 times by only a dozen (stupid) people.
I know what you mean, and we both know whos fault it is that we are still recieving it dont we Dagorion.... did you get the email from her where she chucked the little fit about people complaining about forwards?
Old 01-02-2003, 08:23 AM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
What dumbasses still use Hotmail anyway? The only time I used it was when I first started using the Internet and I didn't know anything about it.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-02-2003, 08:34 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

My main email account is an hotmail one.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #7
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Dont feel bad about that , Luvian. In my experience e-mail accounts like hotmail are infinately safer than useing crap like outlook express because if you do get a virus in your inbox you still have to download it to be infected. Where as with outlook express by the time you see the virus it is already too late.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:53 AM   #8
MagiK

Dang! I misread the topic I thought you said you had gotten a New Emu [img]smile.gif[/img] we have been hearing a lot about emu oil here in the states lately about its curative powers....what next?

Old 01-02-2003, 09:06 AM   #9
andrewas
Harper

Hotmail has a massive advantage over a POP3 email account - a large proportion of viruses depend on vulnerabilites in Outlook etc to spread. An online account stops them cold. I havent (yet) heard of any viruses that spread through a hotmail account (Although there are a few through MSN messenger, so watch out for weird links appearing in convos). And nobody can use a hotmail account without virus scanners, so it is a degree safer.

The only way to make a outlook account that safe is to run a scanner on the server your connecting to. I have one account I can do that on (at work), all the rest your dependent on the ISP doing it.

Now, if only there was a way to cut down on the spam.