Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Tyros the Demon Slayer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know I have read a lot of people saying, "big deal" about this axe. Having finally nailed a greater picus on Arnika-Trynton Road, I was able to create one, and, for the moment, I share the lack of enthusiasm about this weapon.

Can anyone tell me what monsters this gets double damage against? There are very few monsters (as identified in the bestiary on Flamestryke's site) that are listed as "beasts" -- mainly things like unicorns and dreadmares.

If, in fact, that is all the axe is good for, I think I finally will cave and stop trying to build my ranger up in the axe skill.

Let me know if you disagree.
Tyros the Demon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
xfactor
Dungeon Master

I think it does double damage against Hogars. I've never bothered to use it so I wouldn't really know for sure.

I agree with you about the axes. They're really pretty poor in Wiz8. They tend to do about the same damage as swords and usually have a penalty to Initiative. I do have a Dwarf fighter who uses an axe 'cos it's traditional but that's the only time I've used them.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

I have a warrior/bishop duo somewhere at AP, which wants to get to level 50 at some time (currently in the low 40s). And they want to max out all available stats. So i used beastslayer for some time up there (along with a light shield).

It does double damage against lots of creatures up there - gazers, scorchers, flying serpents. And against these, the damage is comparable to most high end weapons. Aside from this, Axes are not impressive.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
SpitBall
The Magister

Is a bipennis an axe, or a polearm?

Either way, it was a deadly weapon for the dwarf fighter - until I could get him Fang.

Beastslayer was not worth the effort and $$, in my opinion.
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
hayaku
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am fairly sure 'beast' just means any animal. Beast after all was an old word FOR animal... it has only recently, for some reason, taken on the meaning of monster or whatever.

So yeah, I would guess any animal.... ie, no humanoid, no android. Insects I am unsure about.

and yeah, after seeing the stats I thought it was a bit dull too.
IMHO most of the custom weapons are pretty worthless, exception being the vampire chain and ivory blade.
hayaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think, the steelhide breastplate is o.k too. It was the best armor for my gadgeteer a long time.
The beastslayer axe is useless, IMO. I never had a chance to use a featherweight armor. I only found those feathers at AP in my games and at this time I had enough strengh and good armor to ignore it.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:30 AM   #7
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Hayaku wrote weapons, not armor.

The Zy plate is a great armor for fairies. Even mages can use it!

The featherweigth i sometimes used until the end with a samurai. Good AC, very light, and it might be that armor weigth affects his ability to do lightning strikes.

There is a fix encounter with 3 plumned serpents (along with 3 golems) in the mountain wildernesse retro dungeon. In the room you can leave by 3 teleporters, use the left one.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

@wereboar
I never used the Zynaryx Plate. If I had a Fairie in my party she mostly was a magician and stood in the back. It was more interesting for my to have additional mental resistance.

My current party is lvl 18 and hasn't visitid the third retro up to now. Evin if I get a feather there, it's useless for me. The party is already very well equipped. A Featherweight Armor can't be better.

I think the Featherweight Armor is the only custom item, I never used .

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 05-11-2005, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #9
bladedog
Dungeon Master

Its funny, I always strive to find all the ingredients, but unless I am lucky and find them all early on, most of the custom items have already been superceded before I can get them made.
I think the main exceptions would be the Ebon Staff from Antone and, depending on the order I go, the ivory blade and mirror armour from Ferro.
I've never bought the beastslayer, but I once managed to make and buy the vampire chain but was a little disapointed. Maybe my Lord who is building himself up with Diamond Eyes and a War Mace will have more success with it this time round.

[ 05-11-2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: bladedog ]
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #10
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

I've used vamipre chain for some time as a backup weapon for my fighter, with my fighter/bishop duo. When the bishop is dead/ko/whatever, the fighter doesn't need any heal, but feeds himself with the vampire effect. I wouldn't use it with a character that has heal spells, or in a party with several healers around.

Wait - i used it in some parties for bishop/priest. They want an extended weapon, if they are in the center. And if they can use a shield, vampire chain and cat'o'nine are best.