Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Default Re: Type at home jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielles blades View Post
know of any thats not a scam? theres gotta be some job i can do at home; i mean this is the computer age for goodness sake.
While there are certainly work at home jobs in the computer age, there are NONE that advertise themselves by unsolicited email and/or random webpages.

This particular example is laughable. People can make 12K/week = 600K/year from a company that only pays thru Paypal! LOL

Legitimate work at home jobs are almost always found via normal hiring channels. A company hires you and you either negotiate up front a work at home situation, or one develops later due to a move, or you convincing them to let you. I have a friend who worked his way into a job like this, but he worked out of the office for several years first, and only swung it because a big part of his job is traveling around the world to meet with clients (probably 1/3 to 1/2 of his time).

Jobs like medical transcriptionist and the like are also legit, but companies are going to recruit from the training courses, not from email blasts or random ad-banners. They need trained people for the work, not random people from the internet.

Semi-legitimate work at home jobs are sales jobs where you take delivery of the product and peddle it around town (i.e. Avon, Tupperware, etc). Of course, a good many of these types of opportunities are thinly veiled pyramid schemes.

Any unskilled job like typing at home is an immensely popular job--hence the abundance of scams on the topic. Imagine you were a legitimate company who wanted to employ some work-at-home typists. Would you really need to do anything more than ask current employees to recommend some people to you? Between spouses/friends/family you would have more applicants that you needed without resorting to random people on the internet. And if you did have so much typing work that you needed more people, why not at that point hire actual employees to come into the office, since you have enough work to keep someone going full-time (and you can hire people with top-notch typing skills to get everything done faster). So maybe if a friend tells you that their company is looking to hire out some work-at-home jobs, it might be legit, but not something casting a wide net online.

Even if you're intent on outsourcing type at home jobs, why would you look inside the US? There are plenty of people around the world with internet connections and English typing skills who are willing to work for a lot less than Americans.

In short, expect any legitimate opportunity to work at home to pay less than minimum wage unless your typing speed is amazing. The supply of people who are willing and eager (eager enough to fall for innumerable scams) to do this work is huge, so the price is going to be low. Anyone who says you can make good money at it is a scammer.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote