Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: TV - music - film - books

The Pacific gets better and better. Gut-wrenching to say the least.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #32
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I saw 2 movies this weekend. I want to make sure no one else makes my mistake. DO NOT SEE THESE FILMS. THEY ARE HORRIBLY DEPRESSING AND ADD NOTHING TO YOUR LIFE.

- Brothers
- Lovely Bones

This has been a public service announcement.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #33
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Rider2 View Post
Just saw the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who. Matt Smith seemed to do a fairly good job. It seemed to me like he was channeling David Tennant quite a lot, though, instead of putting his own spin on the Doctor. Karen Gillan was alright as well. A pretty good episode, considering it had a new director as well.

Anybody else seen it???
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
It was good, very good even, but not outstanding. Yes he was chaneling David Tennant but hopefully he will grow into the role and use is own personality. The girl / woman side kick was promising. Not as funny as Donna (Catherine Tate) or as sexy as Rose but I think she will be fine.

The weeping angels make a return soon. I hope the don't stuff up because the original weeping angels was without doubt the greatist Dr Who episode ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Rider2 View Post
Agreed on the weeping angels. That episode was brilliant, if incredibly creepy (my mistake for watching it on a dark, stormy night, alone...). I always liked Martha as a character. But I suppose we can't really judge yet as it has only been the first episode.
We don't get BBC America with our cable, so I bought the season pass on iTunes. I think it's going well so far.

Before watching the first Weeping Angels episode, I rewatched Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (introduction of River Song) and Blink (first weeping angels episode).

The first weeping angels episode this season wasn't as creepy as Blink, but the previews for next week look like it features the angels more.

For Who fans or those wanting to check it out, the first 4 seasons of the revived series are all available via streaming from Netflix.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #34
wellard
Dracolisk

Good on you Olorin - I don't recall any USA based DR WHO fans on this forum

It seems people have memories of the late 80's early 90's dr who episodes that where for children and are basically crap. The new set-up started in about 2006 and has been the greatest sci fi programme on TV ever. I can't believe that it is not available on free to air tv over in the USA. The new series which started a month or so ago is not up to the same standard but still fun.

That BLINK episode (weeping angels) got voted the fans favourite episode ever of all time and seeing that the show has been going since the day JFK was shot that says a lot!

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #35
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
I saw 2 movies this weekend. I want to make sure no one else makes my mistake. DO NOT SEE THESE FILMS. THEY ARE HORRIBLY DEPRESSING AND ADD NOTHING TO YOUR LIFE.

- Brothers
- Lovely Bones

This has been a public service announcement.
Damn! I was looking foreward to Lovely bones Timber, is it a case of you did not like it ( what about Rain?) or that NO one will like it.

Hey it is a peter Jackson film after all

Old 05-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #36
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
Good on you Olorin - I don't recall any USA based DR WHO fans on this forum

It seems people have memories of the late 80's early 90's dr who episodes that where for children and are basically crap. The new set-up started in about 2006 and has been the greatest sci fi programme on TV ever. I can't believe that it is not available on free to air tv over in the USA. The new series which started a month or so ago is not up to the same standard but still fun.

That BLINK episode (weeping angels) got voted the fans favourite episode ever of all time and seeing that the show has been going since the day JFK was shot that says a lot!
I have vague memories when I was young of Dr Who on PBS. The revived series was originally being shown on SciFi (cable station), but without the Christmas specials--thankfully those were added to the DVD box sets.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #37
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Smiley Re: TV - music - film - books

I grew up watching reruns of Tom Baker's Dr. Who, and IMO he's still the king. The wit, personality and humor were so fun to watch.

Anyone remember Red Dwarf? That damn hologram... The 'Dog' was funny..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #38
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Chalk up another US-based Doctor Who fan. Back in high school, a friend of mine and I wrote back-to-back Doctor Who stories for our senior literature class. Was fun... had the doctor go through a regeneration, casting him into the image of our literature professor. Entitled it the Janus Complex... gave me two different ways to describe our prof (one very appealing, one rather nasty)

Got an A on that, as I recall...

Not sure what the "80s/90s crap for children" Doctors are. I started with Tom Baker and went a little forward and backward. I think Colin Baker might have been the last Doctor I really saw... don't get SciFi here
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #39
wellard
Dracolisk

The 80 / 90 were the collin baker and Sylvester Macoy years - utter rubbish IMO. I loved the Pertwee / Tom Baker years the best.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #40
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I just had the misfortune of watching Journey to the centre of the earth (The new one not the classic)

Don't ask me why I sat through it, but I did.... Every terrible, eye-soreing (Yes I made that word up) second of it.

Wow, does anyone know what it's budget was?
I assume about $150?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote