Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
Lioness
Jack Burton

1 AREA: Infinite.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy offers this definition of the word "Infinite".
Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some. Much bigger in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real "wow, that's big" time. Infinity is just so big that by comparison, bigness looks really titchy. Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by staggeringly huge is the sort of concept we're trying to get across here.

2 IMPORTS: None.
It is impossible to import things into an infinite area, there being no outside to import things from.

3 EXPORTS: None.
See Imports.

4 POPULATION: None.
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination.

5 MONETARY UNITS: None.
In fact there are three freely convertible currencies in the galaxy, but none of them count. The Altairian Dollar has recently collapsed, the Flainian Pobble Bead is only exchangeable for other Flainian Pobble Beads, and the Triganic Pu has its own very special problems. Its exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu is simple enough, but since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. From this basic premise it is very simple to prove that the Galactibanks are also the product of a deranged imagination.

6 ART: None.
The function of art is to hold the mirror up to nature, and there simply isn't a mirror big enough-see point one.

7 SEX: None.
Well, in fact there is an awful lot of this, largely because of the total lack of money, trade, banks, art, or anything else that might keep all the nonexistant people of the Universe occupied.
However, it is not worth embarking on a long discussion of it now because it really is terribly complicated. For further information see GuideChapters seven, nine, ten, eleven, fourteen, sixteen, seventeen, nineteen, twenty-one to eighty-four inclusive, and in fact most of the rest of the Guide.

Anyone who hasn't read Douglas Adams' books has not yet lived. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Of course, none of us have, since we're merely the products of a deranged imagination.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

LOL I LOVED THE FIRST ONE! i've just GOTTA get my hands on the sequel!
Old 05-24-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
LOL I LOVED THE FIRST ONE! i've just GOTTA get my hands on the sequel!
It's "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" and get it right away, you will. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 10:37 PM   #4
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I read the series something like 10 years ago... it's one of those books which you either hate or love. I like it; there used to be a PC game based on the 1st book (word-based adventuring genre) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 12:52 AM   #5
Glorfindel

LOL! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] thats it... IM going to read all three of them again ROTFLMAO! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 12:59 AM   #6
Beltazar
Zhentarim Guard

I was ging to read it...think I should?
Old 05-25-2002, 03:26 AM   #7
shadowhound

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
LOL! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] thats it... IM going to read all three of them again ROTFLMAO! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Er.. there are five books.
1. Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe
2. Resteraunt at the end of the universe
3. Life the Universe and everything
4. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish
5. Mostly Harmless

PS. on a strange note i found this while wandering around like a drunken fool on the internet
http://anubis.science.unitn.it/servi...pgg-index.html
You have go to see it.

[ 05-25-2002, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: shadowhound ]
Old 05-25-2002, 03:33 AM   #8
Zidane
Manshoon

I have never read any of his books, but watched the series occasionally on TV

Played a really weird game on my Mac by him called Starship Titanic

LZ
Old 05-25-2002, 03:38 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I like Wowbagger the Infinite and Agrajag - they rock
Old 05-25-2002, 03:53 AM   #10
shadowhound

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I like Wowbagger the Infinite and Agrajag
I know Wowbagger he is Xcelent
But is Agrajag the guy who kept getting killed every time he is re-incarneted, if so i thought that was hilarious.