Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Need Help: Flat Screen Audio Setup

Hey, remember when I was all excited about getting a new Flat screen TV? Well...my plans changed a little bit from the one I wanted to buy...I could not turn down paying $21 for a 42" instead of the $1,200 I was about to pay. How? Friend had an old Sharp that he was about to toss, but told me if I could fix it, I could have it. After obtaining the $1 capacitor with $5 shipping and $15 for a man to sorder it, I now own a Sharp 42", older model TV that came from Walmart years ago.

One BIG drawback is the audio. There is no external audio ports for HDMI or Optical. So far, I have been able to hook my laptop up to the TV with the HDMI cable and get the audio to come from my laptop instead of the factory speakers on the TV (changing a setting in my laptop speaker playback devices page). I also think that if I get an RCA extension cable for the Red and White cables, I can plug up the Wii to an external sound bar. TV sound is a no-go...I don't see anyway to get TV to play through anything but the Sharp speakers.

My BIGGEST desire is to get good audio from my new BluRay. On the BluRay, I have two HDMI ports, an Optical port and a composite group of ports, 7.1 audio out. In the Settings of the player, I can select my audio output. I had HDMI-1 going to the TV (for video) and in the menu I selected HDMI-2 for the audio output. I plugged this up to my laptop. I did NOT get Audio output through HDMI-2, and I do not know why. Since this did not work, I am not sure if purchasing a Sound bar and Optical Cable would work, either. I assume that if I had an optical cable plugged into the port, the settings menu would recognize it and give me the option to select that audio output, but since this HDMI test failed to produce sound to my laptop, I am frustratingly let down. Oh...and I thought maybe the laptop could not receive PCM through the HDMI, so I switched the output to Dolby, but that did not help. There are a lot of MHz and other frequency settings that I do not understand or know if it'll help.
Can anyone figure out how to get my BluRay to output to an external speaker ? Do you require more info or pictures? It's a Samsung 7500, btw.

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Need Help: Flat Screen Audio Setup

Don't you just LOVE Digi-Key? (that's where I get all my parts). fast, good packing and marking in bags.
is the Sam 7500 the TV with the two sided remote with a QWERTY KB on one side? I LOVE that remote...

Is this setting going into the receiver before it goes into the TV/PC? if so, where is the end result setting for the RECIEVERS setting? (You gotta set it too sometimes on some of them)
I would think that you can run a TV/PC and AUDIO on HDMI 1.... (the signal is combined on the same port).. never split it before.. and I get 800 watts of 'way too loud' .

Lemme know..

Maybe in PC settings you need to modify the settings in Sound?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
Hey, remember when I was all excited about getting a new Flat screen TV? Well...my plans changed a little bit from the one I wanted to buy...I could not turn down paying $21 for a 42" instead of the $1,200 I was about to pay. How? Friend had an old Sharp that he was about to toss, but told me if I could fix it, I could have it. After obtaining the $1 capacitor with $5 shipping and $15 for a man to sorder it, I now own a Sharp 42", older model TV that came from Walmart years ago.

One BIG drawback is the audio. There is no external audio ports for HDMI or Optical. So far, I have been able to hook my laptop up to the TV with the HDMI cable and get the audio to come from my laptop instead of the factory speakers on the TV (changing a setting in my laptop speaker playback devices page). I also think that if I get an RCA extension cable for the Red and White cables, I can plug up the Wii to an external sound bar. TV sound is a no-go...I don't see anyway to get TV to play through anything but the Sharp speakers.

My BIGGEST desire is to get good audio from my new BluRay. On the BluRay, I have two HDMI ports, an Optical port and a composite group of ports, 7.1 audio out. In the Settings of the player, I can select my audio output. I had HDMI-1 going to the TV (for video) and in the menu I selected HDMI-2 for the audio output. I plugged this up to my laptop. I did NOT get Audio output through HDMI-2, and I do not know why. Since this did not work, I am not sure if purchasing a Sound bar and Optical Cable would work, either. I assume that if I had an optical cable plugged into the port, the settings menu would recognize it and give me the option to select that audio output, but since this HDMI test failed to produce sound to my laptop, I am frustratingly let down. Oh...and I thought maybe the laptop could not receive PCM through the HDMI, so I switched the output to Dolby, but that did not help. There are a lot of MHz and other frequency settings that I do not understand or know if it'll help.
Can anyone figure out how to get my BluRay to output to an external speaker ? Do you require more info or pictures? It's a Samsung 7500, btw.

Thank you in advance.
How about posting a pic of all the connection ports on the TV as a starter?

Usually, you should be running your Blu-ray to an AV receiver and then using the intrinsic pass thru features of the AVR to send that signal to the TV. The audio from the AVR then goes to your speakers.

Until my new AVR arrives, I am currently running my Blu-ray direct to the TV and using the audio out to send the sound to my old Sony 5.1 dvd dream system. The sound is nowhere as good as it was when I can output it direct from a dvd in the 5.1 system but that system is now failing to read dvds so I had to modify the audio path.

(By the way, I used to be a huge fan of Sony but I'm swearing off everything except their TVs. The temporary Blu-ray I got from them is probably not going to last a full year, and their customer service on my dream system is totally fvcked up. Asshats want me to send the entire system INCLUDING the speakers to have the main unit serviced. Screw that.)

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, a pic would make it easy.. we can color code it for ya!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey guys, I got really lucky with this! I got the Samsung 5500 Sound Bar when I went to BestBuy and picked up a display and looked at the back of it, and then asked a few questions...(then bought it from Amazon.com for two dollars cheaper, free two-day shipping that actually ended up coming a day early!)
For my BluRay, I have the HDMI going into the HDMI-IN on the sound bar, and another HDMI cable plugged into the OUT port on the sound bar which goes to the TV so that the speaker gets the sound before the TV does and cancels the TV's speakers! Alternately, I bought an optical cable just in case that did not work. I also bought an RCA to 8" aux cable adapter so I could plug my Wii audio into the aux port on the sound bar. And having Bluetooth connection with my phone's music collection is just icing on the cake! The kids love it because I love it so much. First movie we watched with the new sound...How the Grinch Stole Christmas, which also arrived today.