Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 10-19-2004, 03:06 PM   #1
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Christmas is approaching, and I'm soon finished with my current reads, so I need some advice as to which books to read next. There are simply too many authors out there, and I've heard good stuff about most of them. I've read fantasy books by these authors so far: Tolkien, Robin Hobb, George RR Martin, Raymond Feist, David Eddings and Daniel Hood, from the top of my head. Hobb is my favourite. So, any inisights or counsel? Note that I only read series.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, read Sara Douglass's Axis and Wayfarer: Redemption trilogies, that are in fact one series split in two. You can get more info about them here.

She's in my top 3 best writers list.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Exxon, you sound like you enjoy the same types of things as me. Have you read all of Hobb's books? If not I suggest you finish them all off, because they all are amazing.

Other than that I would have to look. Ehm what about trying a couple of FR books?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Gxc
Elminster

I cant remember the last book ive enjoyed that i can share.. its sad.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:05 AM   #5
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

If you want to read something in the Sci-Fi/fantasy genre, read Ursula LeGuinn's Earthsea trilogy.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Just for the hell of it, try reading Finnegans Wake. I say try, not do. I'm not sure Joyce himself could read that damn book.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #7
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Exxon, you sound like you enjoy the same types of things as me. Have you read all of Hobb's books? If not I suggest you finish them all off, because they all are amazing.

Other than that I would have to look. Ehm what about trying a couple of FR books?
Yeah, read them all. Amazing stuff.
I deliberately avoid FR, because I have had enough of that setting for some time.

Thanks for the suggestions - I note all and will look into each author later. So please, keep 'em coming. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

On second thought, I retract my suggestion, don't try reading Finnegans Wake, yet...You have to think in English to get that one. Unless you speak Turkish real well, I suspect you'll want to stick to Ulysses.

Speaking of which, Ulysses as a reading experience is very different from other books, there's a genuine revelry in the simple joys of language itself, the mere presence of such fantastic and incredible use of the English language is half the fun.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

hmm... here are books I've read over the last month that I'd personally recommend... and your list includes some of my favorites so you might like these:

Stephen King - Gunslinger (just finished the first... much better than I'd EVER expected from Stephen King)

Pratchett's Discworld series, currently reading two a month... all have been excellent.

Atwood - Oryx and Crake - not very good plot but well written
Crichton - Prey - avoid... just a bad book
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:21 PM   #10
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

try The Chronicles of Narnia, my favorite series. also, as long as Ursula Leguin was mentioned, i enjoyed the short novel "Far Far Away From Anywhere Else", very...psychological. and if you want some science fiction, try peter strauss (is that how you spell it?) or, i like William Sleator. his books look a little childish, but they make you think about how things really work. oh, and ttry some classic book, The Count Of Monte Cristo was a wonderful story, and if you get a full translation (with absolutely nothing skipped out) it will keep you busy for a while.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote