Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Through out the game,i have seen many references to metallica songs,mainly "Master of Puppets."

Other than the ones with tags,i remember reading something like "kill,its such a friendly word" along the way.Thats a line from "Welcome Home(SANITARIUM)".
BG1 SPOILER
'Mulahay and Tazok appear only to have been PUPPETS and thr real MASTER is yet to be discovered"

ToB SPOILER
"Mellisan is the PUPPET MASTER who has been PULLING YOUR STRINGS".The line from the song Master of Puppets is "Master of puppets,Im pulling your strings."

Could black ilse be fans?

[ 06-09-2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: TheGodThatFailed ]
Old 06-09-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

I'm quite a big fan and i've never noticed it. I shall have to look into this [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW do you know who said: "kill, its such a friendly word"?

[ 06-09-2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: bjorn ]
Old 06-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

No,sorry,lol you wnated it for the quote game didnt you...if i knew,id use it as its one of my favorite quotes of all time
Old 06-09-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

hehe no actually i didden't think of using it, it would make a good one though! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

lol
Old 06-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Sounds a bit farfetched to me. It's a common phrase, ain't it?
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes but theyre are plenty of lines from their songs that i havnt mentioned and anyway.Whats "farfetched" about liking metallica?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Liking Metallica is not far-fetched, but assuming they implemented it into this particular game because both Metallica and Black Isle use certain sayings is, IMHO [img]smile.gif[/img]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
That's killer! I had noticed some stuff like that, but I just figured I was hallucinating again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Go Link! You made Elder Orbs! Just noticed right after I posted. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 06-10-2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Dron_Cah ]
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #10
Hank Parsons
Zhentarim Guard

Sorry, I don't think the puppet-master quotes from BG are a reference to Metallica. This is a common phrase used throughout literature and vernacular. It is a reference not to hand-puppets or Muppets, but to marrionettes (spell?), the kind of puppets which dangle from strings and the puppeteer controls the movement of the doll's arms and legs by moving the strings. The metaphor that people are puppets and God(s) control our strings, is far older than BG or Metallica (and is in fact older than computer games and electric guitars).

It would indeed be far-fetched to link every reference to "pulling your strings" as a Metallica quote -- in fact it is the other way around, Metallica borrowed the same common idea for their lyrics in the 1980's.

Likewise, I doubt if every mention of the word "kill everyone" is a shrouded reference to Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" album.

On the other hand, the world is as you see it. If you see cultural references everywhere that are meaningful to you, then they do exist: for you. Feel free to "see" connections that you like, whether they were intentional or not.