Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-06-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

I am going to make a monk, and what to make him the best possible warrior.

Here is my proposed char:

Deep gnome

Str: 18
dex: 18
Con: 16
Int: 3
Wis: 18
Cha: 3

That should make him pretty powerful. hes for a party, so he aint going solo.
My question is this: What feats and skills should i give my monk? and what order should i get them in so I maximise his potential. Thanks peoples,
Tim
Old 02-06-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

With the deep gnome +/- stats, I'm not sure if the above build will become once you make the character, but I get your gist. You can do without weapon proficiencies, though it may not be a bad idea to take a ranged weapon. Take a bunch of the fighting feats: dirty fighting, improved critical, etc. If you have the EU component of improved monks, you can also take the weapon finesse feat to add your DEX modifier to your attack (the mod makes monk fists count as small blades). If you want, you can take the +save feats such as discipline to compliment the monk's natural defenses, making him both untouchable and uncurse/fear/stun/etcable.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

ok thanks thats a start, what order should i get these feats/skills in so i can maximise his potential?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

ive loaded an old game and kicked out a player so i can add my monk. i dale keepered his exp to what they should be to be level with the rest of the group. how often are gnomeish monks suppost to get skills and feats?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
wanderon
Dungeon Master

with 3 int you get 4 skill points to start and 1 skill point per level. Feats at level 1, 3, then every third (6,9,12,15) and attributtes every 4 levels. (4,8,12)

As mentioned starting stats aren't quite what you posted earlier max str is 16 w -2 racial penalty - the rest would work as planned.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

thanks wanderon. My revised stats are:
str 10
dex 20
con 18
int 5
wis 20
cha 3
what feats do you suggest i get? and in what order should i get them. he will be primarily a defensive tank, so increasing saves might be a good option here. what are the best feats for me?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by timothy trotter:

what feats do you suggest i get? and in what order should i get them. he will be primarily a defensive tank, so increasing saves might be a good option here. what are the best feats for me?
Just my thoughts, but I don't think the saves feats is a good idea. A monk already has high saves and adding to that magic resistance, racial saves, and high ability bonus saves, getting that +2 saves feat is a waste of feat.
Even though the monk is defensive, I would suggest giving him offensive feats. Improved critical is an excellent choice. Power Attack->Cleave->Greater Cleave is another good choice but requires STR 13. Heretic's bane is good but I'm not sure if it is available to monks. Don't take dirty fighting; pretty useless since a critical hit is supposed to kill anyway (this feat is only useful if using ranged weapons). Dodge is OK. Blind fight is mediocre. You might also consider taking a ranged weapon feat. Or strong back, if you go with STR 10 (then again, a monk wears no armor so doesnt really need it).

As for skills, don't take the diplomat skills (diplomacy, bluff, intimidate) because your monk will not be talking due to his refuse-reward policy. Consider hide/move silently. It also depends on what skills the rest of the party takes. If none of them takes skills like Knowledge (Arcana), Alchemy, Search... consider giving them to your monk if he has nothing better.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
wanderon
Dungeon Master

Depends on how you plan to use him and whether or not you are using additional mods. (I'm thinking specifically about the one that allows finesse for fists). As a low str monk finesse may indeed be useful and if not with fists via mods then perhaps DW short swords since fists really dont get very good until later. So thus ambidex, TWF and maybe wf small blade. I am not sure if dash stacks with monks speed increase or how useful it might be but its a possibilty.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderon:
I am not sure if dash stacks with monks speed increase or how useful it might be but its a possibilty.
Well, actually in some cases I found monk's speed more an annoyance than being useful in a party. He would get much ahead of everyone else and meet enemies before the rest could catch up. I wish high speed was a skill that could be turned on and off (through the special ability icon; much like power attack etc).
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
Magness
Quintesson

While I've never played a monk, I generally agree with what ZFR wrote.

The improved saves feats are generally a bit of a waste for a monk. Monks have the best saves of any class.

I'd take Weapon Finesse, particularly if you're using the Wiemur EoU mod's sub mod for "monk fists as light weapons". Heck, I'd get it regardless and use short swords and daggers in melee to take advantage of your monk's outstanding DEX.

I think that Strong Back would be a feat well spent, given your monk's low STR. Dodge would be worth the cost, since a +1 AC would be worthwhile for a decoy, defensive monk.

Improved critical is a must have, when you have a high enough BAB.

I wouldn't bother with Dash. Monks are already fast enough. Save the feat for something better.

I do not believe that Heretic's Bane is available to monks, since it requires the ability to cast divine spells.

I'd probably take a 2nd point in small blades, and spnd 1 or 2 points in Bow. Sure, you could just use a sling or darts, but as thrown weapons, they get the STR bonus added to damage, and your monk has none. A bow would be a more productive ranged weapon for this character.

I'm not really sure that I'd spend points on Ambidex and Two-weapon fighting. It's not bad choice, but you'd probably get more bang for the buck from the other feats I've listed.

Regarding skills... Move Silently and Hide all the way. Both are DEX based skills that will be greatly enhanced by your character's high DEX. Any of the INT or CHA based skills would be wasted, given your char's low INT and CHA.

Here's a different skill choice to consider. Think about taking a point of Wilderness Lore. Sure, it will be an off-class 2 point skill, but with your char's high WIS, even 1 point of WL will be fairly useful. And you would really only "need" 1 point.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote