Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2001, 11:08 AM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

OK, what is the deal? I have a P3 866 with a 32 MB nVidia Riva 2 card with a BG2 and ToB full install.

I've really only experimented up to this point with the game, but wanted to a run a full party and beat the game with my Fighter-Mage.

Anyways, whenever more than 4 characters are on screen and moving, especially if there's fog of war, the animation is like watching a claymation film! It is so jerky and stuttery. I also notice that my HD light reads a lot when more than 4 characters are on screen and moving.

Now if there are 6 on screen and only one or two move, its not so bad. Combat also isn't too jerky. So what the hell is going on???
Old 11-08-2001, 12:29 PM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Yeah, I have the same problem to! I dont know the cause of it though..
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:35 PM   #3
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Hm, I got the problem, when I installed ToB. Since then the stuttering began. I play in 3d accelerated mode, perhaps I should try to play in software mode...
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:36 PM   #4
Nifft the Nimble

Sounds like you're running out of memory and thrashing into virtual memory. Try buying more RAM (prices are CHEAP this week---I've seen 512 megs sell for $25 + shipping etc.) or quitting all applications, desk bar items, etc.

How much RAM do you guys have?

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:38 PM   #5
Kaleban
Manshoon

32 Megs on the video card, 128 system.

I should probably at least put in another 128, but you'd think a P3 866 wouldn't have problems. Ah well. Chips & Bits, here I come!
Old 11-08-2001, 12:47 PM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Nifft the Nimble:

How much RAM do you guys have?

I have 32 megs on the grafics card, and 128 system.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 01:35 PM   #7
OmegaKiller
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You guys think that is bad try my case on for size. Everytime the ground shakes (earthquake) or my heros gets a critical hit (and I get alot of those against the good sucking scum of the earth) my viewing screen goes to the opposite side of the map. Also, when a mage tries to maze me or imprizons me, my game goofs up. It does not faze my character but I have no control of the game whatsoever. It is like it is in the constant movie playing scenero.
Perhaps this is the working of Helm!! No matter, I will defeat him and his scum once and for all

OmegaKiller

*I am the final death

**The destroyer of the Keldorn Order

The Destruction of the Keldorn Order is underway. Apply today!

Benifets include but not limited to:

Power
wealth
slave girls/guys
respect
and many more

APPLY TODAY, THESE POSITIONS ARE LIMITED!!
OmegaKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:38 PM   #8
Ares

How much room do you have free on your harddrives? I have 32 on card and 256 system...only gets jerky by Dragons
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:44 PM   #9
Kaleban
Manshoon

Ares, I am talking about RAM not HD storage. I can increase my HD cache size to over 4 gigabytes if I wanted, but the usual 400 megabytes should be sufficient, if the game specs are to be believed.

I need to upgrade my RAM anyways, maybe as high as 512...
Old 11-08-2001, 08:11 PM   #10
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Just try taking off a few of the extra (waste of time) visuals and your game should pick up speed. I always take off the weather (who cares about rain, etc.) and all the un-needed sounds. Footsteps would qualify. There is a bunch of nonsense sounds that eat up your processing speed. Try taking some of the ambient (sp?) sounds out. It should take out some of the jerking. Cut down on your path searches. My computer is only six or seven months old. I can run tons of differents applications at the same time. I have to set my configuration (for the game) at less than anything my computer can run at. If I don't I get the same jerky motion that you are talking about.

If you are playing a multi-player game, try saving your multi-player save into your single player game and that should also help.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote