Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-13-2003, 04:48 PM   #21
Chewbacca
Zartan

Ah, the fringe benefits of believing that "god" is an integral part of myself and vis-versa. I don't have to worry but some lonely bearded guy up in heaven wondering why he hasn't heard from me in a while.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:12 PM   #22
Link
Jack Burton

Then tell me Vaskez, why is it wrong to point out individual things? In your viewpoint we should just ignore that priest who's abusing little boys in Southern Texas, 'just because it's a single case'? Just because we point out flaws doesn't mean we're totally against something.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:21 PM   #23
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
On a side note a local church near me just bought a brand new rolls royce for probably around $300,000+. I can see how they need that to spread the word of god. . . .
Love the way people pick single extreme examples to "prove" a point. Very professional...
Try some stats instead, they are better at showing trends and thus proving point.

Personally, the views of a lot of people on this thread piss me off, but I have the sense not to say anything - Firestormalpha is right that we should not get into this stuff again. Suffice to say if all of us on this thread studied our entire lives we would not be qualified enough to make proper judgement on this topic.
[/QUOTE]this is in no was indicative to all churchs, mosques, temples or whatever else you feel like calling it. I just love the irony of a church buying a $300,000 rolls royce. As part of the congregation I'de defintiely feel my weekly donations were well spent. I wasn't using this "single extreme example" to "prove" any point. I just honestly wonder how they justify spending that amount of money on something outrageous like that.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #24
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Then tell me Vaskez, why is it wrong to point out individual things? In your viewpoint we should just ignore that priest who's abusing little boys in Southern Texas, 'just because it's a single case'? Just because we point out flaws doesn't mean we're totally against something.
I don't think that's what he meant. I think what he meant was taking an extreme case like the $300,000 dollar car and saying that what all Christians are about, when its not. In otherwords trying to generalize everything. Something we are guilty of from time to time.

And there is nothing wrong with talking about the Priest in Southern Texas that is abusing little boys. Just don't make the assumption that all Priest abuse little kids, because that one did. That would be totally wrong.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:25 PM   #25
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Oh forget it, I've had enough to last me a lifetime of Christianity dissers and jokers. People start having bloody heart attacks and popping blood vessels when there is an injustice against a woman or a black person or any minority group or anything "politically incorrect" is said. But it's ok to rip the piss out of Christians, completely ridiculing their beliefs and laughing at their teachings? Sometimes I feel like kicking some serious ass around here. Some people who don't even have the foggiest what they're talking about spout utter crap 99% of the time. Religious debates are completely useless on forums, I've learned that much, that's why I'm not getting into it. So let's just leave it at that.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #26
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
I just honestly wonder how they justify spending that amount of money on something outrageous like that.
I wonder about that too. As a member of that particular church, I'd have to ask what that was all about and if I didn't like the answer, I'd be finding another church!
Old 10-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #27
Link
Jack Burton

Oh I understand the generalising point, Sir T. It's just that Azrael never said anything about 'all christians are like that'. The assumption that Vaskez made was wrong, and I was referring to that particular thing.

On a second note, concerning my own post: talking about a priest in Texas is okay, of course, but ignoring it all together is absolutely moronic IMHO. I mean; of course we could go and point out every single 'flaw' in Christian beliefs, and generalise about that, but that's wrong. On the other hand, we could ask about elaboration about certain behaviour, and why such things are justified (when non-believers think it is in contradiction with the Bible).

I can tell you I'm an atheist, but a girl I know (and like ) insisted that I should come with her to a religious course where the Bible, Jesus and God and all those things are discussed. I went, not only because of her, but also for myself: I like the discussion about religion, to share my viewpoint about it with others, and in the same way learn more about their viewpoints.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:39 AM   #28
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

gee i didnt know it would make this kind of debate .. i didnt think people would think about it (based on your post). if there will be flames here, i will delete this thread...

of course the reason why i placed it is because i felt that once in a while it would be nice to talk to GOD (Allah, Budda, etc). I hope you guys did not put this off as an extreme.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-14-2003, 02:11 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
some lonely bearded guy up in heaven
The God I believe in isn't some bearded guy, but an omnipresent awareness of pure love. He isn't lonely, and doesn't just reside in heaven. He lives in me, and in many other people I know, interracting all the time.

That's the God I believe in.

Donut: Yep Knows when I'll next say hello.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 10-14-2003, 02:52 AM   #30
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
some lonely bearded guy up in heaven
The God I believe in isn't some bearded guy, but an omnipresent awareness of pure love. He isn't lonely, and doesn't just reside in heaven. He lives in me, and in many other people I know, interracting all the time.

That's the God I believe in.

Donut: Yep Knows when I'll next say hello.
[/QUOTE]Uh, thanks for letting me know. I do hope you understand I was trying to humorously play off a stereotype of God...right?

I actually believe God is a very old cigar smoking comedian...oh wait that was George Burns. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, my belief in God differs slightly from what you have stated, in the fact that I believe that omnipresent awareness of pure and unconditional love lives in everyone and everything, interacting all the time. [img]smile.gif[/img]