Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-14-2003, 09:52 AM   #1
patton
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi everyone, I just started playing Morrowind and has a couple of (stupid?) questions.

First, is it possible to store stuff in crates, baskets? Or will they be “stolen”?

How do you compare different armor types? I play a thief so I want good light armor. When I was in the store in the first town I could buy Nordic fur armor which had a armor value(?) of 6 I think, or the Chitin armor with a value of 13. Heavier armor had lower values so I thought that the fur armor was the best. But then when equipping the different types I got a higher value in my little picture if I used the Chitin armor. And I got even higher values with heavier armor types.

Why is that? And how should I think when choosing armor type?

Also does equipped armor or shield affect any other abilities (sneak, acrobatics)?

Thanks for any answers!
patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Welcome to the boards general.

To your questions:

Yes, you can store stuff in crates and chests, and no, it won't dissapear.

You have to check your stats, when your char is a thief, his preference is usually light armour, but along the road you'll be able to train ALL skills, including medium and heavy armour, so eventually you WILL have benefits from the higher stats of heavy gear. For now, i should try to get my hands on a glass outfit if i were you.

Equipping a shield will not effect your sneak abilities in a negative way.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
A higher armour class within each level (light, medium, heavy) is always better. So the chitin armour is preferable to fur. However how useful it is also depends on your skill in using armour (that is, your light, medium and heavy armour skill). You will certainly have a higher AC with iron armour than chitin, but if you have 50 skill points in light armour and 5 in heavy, you're going to get greater benefits from wearing the light armour. As Johnny says, you'll probably later develop your skills in medium and heavy armour, but early on, you want to play to your skills. So when choosing armour, find out what weight of armour you're most skilled in using, and then buy or equip stuff you find that has the highest AC in that weight level. For light, that will be glass, however you probably won't find any glass armour for a bit

You can actually store all your stuff on the ground in the middle of the street and no one will take it. It won't disappear either, as long as you put it there (ie if you kill someone who has armour on, it will disappear with their body after a while). Of course, making your storage area the middle of the street mightn't be ideal for role-playing purposes . One thing I found was that if you put your stuff in crates outside people's houses, if a guard sees you removing it later they will think you're stealing it and attack you. Same goes for crates and such in guilds you are a member in. Best to find somewhere out of the way where guards can't see you, or find an abandoned house to squat it (or download a residence mod).
Old 11-18-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

1. Storing items in crates. I have heard that storing items in crates is unsafe. Some crates can reload later and you do not know which ones will do. If you store your items in such crate, you will lose all the contents of the crate when it reloads
The only safe storages seem to be:
- The ground. You can put your stuff on the ground and it will not disappear. Well, such "base" isn't too attractive. You will have to place different items at different places, otherwise, you'll be unable to pick what you want. Moreover, such base isn't too aesthetic.
- Chests inside plugin houses. Do not hesistate to install some of many plugins that give you a house. There are many of them around. Each house contains some safe chests where you can store your items. It's a fault of the game that it does not give you any good place for storing your items for a long time: as usual, you will need a base immediately, not at the end of the game.

2. The armor. Each kind of armor has its armor rating (AR). Your armor class (AC) is determined by your skill (Light Armor, etc.) and the state of the armor. If your armor is okay then your armor class is

AC = AR*skill/30

Therefore, at skill = 30, you will AC = AR. At skill 100, you will have AC = 3.3*AR. And so on. It can happen easily that a good heavy armor will give you a worse AC than a not so good light armor - if your heavy armor skill is low and your light armor skill is high. And so on.
The chitin armor is the best cheap light armor (AR = 10). The netch leather and the fur armor is worse (AR = 5). The best light armor is the glass armor (AR = 50). You can buy the full set of glass armor in the Ghostgate - well, if you have about 70 000 gold [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
The dependence AC on the state of the armor seems to be linear. The more worn armor the lower AC. In such case, catch up the armorer's hammer or have the armor repaired.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
patton
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thnks for the answers, they helped a lot.

I have dowloaded, eh I meen, I have bought myself a little house in Balmora. Nice to have my own crib!
patton is offline   Reply With Quote