Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-07-2000, 11:51 PM   #31
RavenW

To Wyv: Mostly illustration, though since discovering pc art a few years ago (help me I'm in tech support!!) I've been working with Photoshop and Gimp for awhile now. (If no one minds a self plug my !work in progress! site is www.ravendesigns.net )

Now to stay on topic, my girlfriend is a semi-avid gamer, hates tech (or geek-speak) but likes rpg's, fantasy novels, and is a rabid star wars fan (go ahead ask her anything! I'll relay the question) She beat mm 6/7/8 before I did and IceWind Dale but she took one look at me getting frustrated with W&W when I first started that she declined to play it. Needless to say shes a gaming / sci-fi lady (she refutes the use of the word geek) and in her own words: "As far as all the games ive seen there really arent that many good looking scantily clad chicks, too many blondes, and their t**s are too small!" Well from what I've seen is that this thread has gone so far into the topic of the Prevalence of Scantily Clad Game characters and imagery in games it deserves its own Forum. What do you think? Meanwhile back on the farm...

(Added note: Wyv can you spoil me on that Shurugeon Castle secret tunnel?) my original posting was "Shurugeon Castle secret...?" Thanks!)

Old 11-08-2000, 11:44 AM   #32
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

I give up, knifehand. All of my net searches return only information on martial arts.. hmm..

I also wanted to mention to everyone, if you have the inclination, please post a list of some of your favorite CRPGs; I'm sure I missed some good ones along the way.

Is anyone on the Arcanum Beta, by the way?
Old 11-08-2000, 01:41 PM   #33
Kate
Welcomed New User

I think I'm enjoying reading some of the posts almost as much as playing the game!
Nice to know what people think about various subjects and interesting to see this game compared to other games. I know that the underclad and anatomically improbable females sell games...this is the real world after all. I just find it a bit annoying that the men wear so much and the girls don't - just look at the CD cover - the knight/paladin chap and the woman with him.
On the other hand (as I always include a mixture of males and females in my party) I do want to choose good looking ones in my party (whichever sex they are). In fact I think the choice of male characters should include more with long hair - why shouldn't they have a few looking like rock stars rather than all butch guys, after all we girls buy games as well. Can't the designers please us as well? (After all a few long-haired leather-clad males on the covers of the boxes along with the scantily-clad females might help to sell a few more games!!)
Old 11-08-2000, 02:14 PM   #34
Lora

Wow I didn't think my simple remark about Bras and thighs would draw so many responses. Thanks for the game suggestions.

Old 11-08-2000, 02:18 PM   #35
Lily the Ranger

Knifehand - a hint? Book, movie, yoga move, disgruntled housewife whose husband is in the doghouse? I'll settle for half a kadzillion with a hint.

Old 11-08-2000, 03:00 PM   #36
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

Been out of the loop since I completed the game and stopped playing, but 34 replies caught my attention.

Its great to see more female players out there, makes me not feel like its some testosterone guy thing that I've overlooked somehow.

I do agree that the scantily dressed female warrior is pretty ridiculous in video games. I am also a big fan of fighting games, most notably the Street Fighter series, and anyone of you who have seen it, know of the some of the moves have the gals skirts fly up, etc. Or, if you have played Dead of Alive 2 with a "bounce" setting for the womans breasts. I wonder about the programmers of that game...closet perverts or something?

Ok, I'm a man and I date women, but I do think this kind of stuff is silly little boy crap. It just never does much for me, but I guess its more about marketing these days. It would be nice to more average looking people, thin, fat etc. Probably why some of my friends don't get it when I wont watch shows like Xena...sorry guys...I need a good plot not a bunch of T&A to capture my interest.

Re: the bras in W&W, I found a plate mail bra and then enchanted and blessed it for my vampire stricken zen master. In the end, it has a +2 regen and about 8 AC. As much defence as the dragon armor, weighs 2 pounds and even a warlock can wear it! Yes indeed, not a bad item.

Ok, thats enough for one day! Is everyone enjoying the game?

Scronan

Knifehand - gosh I don't know...Tang Soo Do (I used to study it) was a good guess. Perhaps an assassin, or rather an hashisasn, who held those little hand daggers for killing people, called a katar or something? Am I close or off by a mile??
Old 11-08-2000, 03:15 PM   #37
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Watching this board has become far more interesting than replaying the game although I am doing that too!
There are still a lot of things I haven't really played around with so far. Perhaps I will get into enchanting things next.

Why are there rarely any nice folks wandering around outside? (because it is too dangerous!) Might be interesting to be able to see other good people out and about. Rescue handsome geeks in distress, etc. Would be nice to have a pet (baby) dragon in the party too which I could name after my other alter ego.
So many possibilities!

Wyv
Old 11-08-2000, 03:50 PM   #38
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

I agree, I'd love to see familiars in the game. As I recall, I believe they are in BG2? I haven't picked BG2 or Icewind Dale up yet.. for some reason I just can't stand the sight of the infinity engine for now. (It's a good engine, but have you ever had that feeling where you became tired of a game engine? I think it's because I played BG so much. Same thing happened to me with the HOMM series.)

This does seem to be a nice forum; a lot more mature than a lot of forums I've been on; when I have the free time, I'll usually play Wizards & warriors or Dues Ex for an hour, then come check the boards to see what's going on. In fact, I just finished popping off the weld points on the superfreighter in Dues Ex, so it seemed time to celebrate with a cold one and a trip to the boards. After that, it's off to Wizards and Warriors to figure out what Monsieur Toadie desires from me Shitabricki apparently wants me to do something dastardly.. hmmm..

What do you guys think of the town structure? I'll admit, I prefer the "walkabout" towns like the ones in M&M. It seems much more of a rush-job with the static town scene, no townsfolk, etc. Granted, it is convenient, but overall I think I prefer the way M&M handled it. Speaking of M&M, I just cranked up M&M6 for the hell of it. I love that intro on the game! It's sad that I practically have it memorized. Once, I put part of it on my answering machine. "An ancient enemy, of an ancient people. Now, they are here, on our world, to do to us what they have done to so many others.. unless someone leaves a message. "

And I wonder why I'm single... hehehe
Old 11-08-2000, 05:10 PM   #39
alzagor

RE: Hair lengths

There are/were different hair lengths in the game. Every humanoid person (male and female) had 3 types of hair. Long, Average & Short. I haven't the foggiest notion why they were "removed". Perhaps it's just another interface issue.

Old 11-08-2000, 05:27 PM   #40
Lily the Ranger

Familiars would be fun. I'd even give up a character slot for one who would be more than a domesticated pet. Do not want one that gets DOA on first hit. I like six character. Played MM 6+7 four is not enough. Five to six is good.

I was pondering cursed items . . . minus one and superglued to your hand is standard but want about some of the following: cursed armor that can only be worn by men, when wearing this armor and leading the party they get lost because they won't ask for directions; PMS armor (women only) intelligence goes down but to hit rises due to sheer irritability, maybe rings don't fit when wearing this armor; morphing armor turns your character into some creature, always with a down side; armor of burden, weighs a lot; armor of amnesia, can't remember where you put your weapon even though it is right in your hands . . . really, I'd just like to see something inventive NOT game spoiling. Wyv has a wonderful wishlist. Check it out.