Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Darkstone

Old 05-07-2001, 02:50 PM   #1
Regina
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Maybe someone can give me a little advice here. As I said it's been absolutely FOREVER since I tried an RPG game and this one has so many different (odd) twists to it that at times I know not whether I'm coming or going, LOL.

Maybe a good place to start would be with the age of my characters. I'm just a tad bit concerned that they may be entirely too old before I ever get anywhere that could give them anti-aging potions. They're both 40 and I'm just barely starting on level 9. Would it be a good idea, possibly, to just re-start the game so these poor folks aren't quite so old at this point in the game? I'm afraid I'm very slow at playing games and since I don't have a manual for the game (came cd/jewel case) there's a lot of stuff I've just had to figure out on my own (like why some items had descriptions in pink, and how different items can affect your life, manna, etc.).

Another question I have is this: I have the Sun Cross quest. I have the amulet to allow access to the sanctuary but for whatever reason can't get it to work. I think I messed up royally because I killed the poor guy on the stretching table. (Well, I never would've in real life, but this is what that fellow said to do.)

Anyway, that's enough questioning for now. Yes, I'm old--older than my characters are, LOL. And not quite so sharp-witted at this type of game as I would like to be.
Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 03:14 PM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm....you should be all right for the present, but if you have aged that much so soon I suspect that you are resting a lot. Dont use that!!!! It ages you damn quickly. Its a far better tactic to Magic Door to town and get refreshed there.

As you don't have a manual, it is going to be hard for you to find out all the commands, shortcuts and some of the less obvious features in the game.

If you like, I can e-mail you a walkthrough that also explains some of the basics.

And don't worry about YOUR age either - I am a child of the 50's

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 05:32 PM   #3
Regina
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah, you are so kind! So resting makes you old fast--geez, I knew there was a reason for keeping active all the time, LOL. Actually, I haven't 'rested' my fellows too awfully much but more lately. AND I found some info at the official site as to what a bunch of the stuff actually does, which is quite useful. It kind of helps to know exactly what 'orientation' does, LOL. I'm definately going to take a few notes off that site.

Now, is there a trick to getting the amulet to work opening the sanctuary door? I've tried holding the amulet on the door and left-clicking. That didn't work--was told I wasn't allowed. Then I tried it right-clicking. That didn't work, either. Of course, it took me about a dozen times to figure out how to make the 'magic door' work, then I discovered it accidentally. That really called for a good session of banging my head on the table, LOL.

I guess I shall carry on, however. I keep killing my poor chaps as soon as I go down into the ninth level, though.

Ah, back to work. Must work first, play later, LOL.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:22 AM   #4
polgeria
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In your inventory your character has a place for two amulets put your's in one of the two places
I'm also older than your characters but i love to play rpg's. LOL
polgeria
polgeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 06:44 PM   #5
Regina
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you, Polgeria & Mouse! I did finally figure out the place to hold amulets. Now of course that's a big 'DUH' LOL. I kept looking and looking but for the life of me didn't think about those two boxes beside the helmet being for amulets--they just didn't look right.

I did go ahead and start a new game with a couple of new characters. Considering I was only at Level 9 (just starting the rescue the baby quest) and my couple were 40 it made me just a tad bit nervous knowing that in another 10 years they were going to start wearing out.

This time I chose a warrior and a thief. I'm no good at thievery, but that gal is sure wicked with a bow and arrow! My favorite weapon for him has to be the halbert--only wish there was one that scored higher damage points but haven't found one.

I just got him up to Level 20 (expert--yeah, right, LOL) and my thief is one notch below, they're about 35 years old and we're heading into Level 17. BTW, I think this might be a good time to say I really hate snakes! and the ones in the game're no exception--downright nasty buggers!
Old 05-30-2001, 10:05 AM   #6
Cesare
Elite Waterdeep Guard

keep your characters running (the icon like a foot at centre-bottom, near the one which tells you places you've visited). You will consume more food, but you will age slower (=passing less time to reach a place)...look for youth potions at town (after you've found potion of youth in doungeons). They are selled randomly, and are lot expensive, but will keep you 5 years (or 4 and a half) younger. Remember you are not allowed to be younger than 20. Start giving all those young potions to your First charachter. Give to the second only when needed.
Happy hounting,
Cesare Imperiali
(I am old, but this is not my language. What exactly LOL stands for? Younger?)
Cesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 01:17 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cesare:

(I am old, but this is not my language. What exactly LOL stands for? Younger?)
Welcome! LOL is shorthand for expressing amusement - Laughs Out Loud.

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:52 PM   #8
Wildcat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

lol=laugh out loud

------------------
The wildcat got the dog
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:25 AM   #9
Cesare
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks!
Cesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 07:35 PM   #10
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I do not mean this badly but not knowing LOL shows your youth. It came from the good old BBS days. Well if you ever made it to the chat boards.
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote