Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-10-2001, 09:12 PM   #1
Malthaussen
Manshoon

I didn't notice this idea in the hints compilation, so I thought I'd bring it up here. Since the Ghost of Rumphy in the Crypt regenerates after you kill him, a good way to get lots of experience for the early levels is to whack him several times. Just leave the crypt, then go back in. A couple of mages with five or six "zap" spells can stand off and waste Rumphy, without the party ever being in danger. At a cool 1100+ EP a shot, you can switch classes several times and still level up fast. And the wand he always leaves behind can add gold to your coffers.

--Malthaussen
Malthaussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:27 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Great suggestion, Malthaussen, for those who may not know this!

Also: You don't have to leave the crypt to get him to respawn. Just go back to Kerah's Statue and say "Sanctus Kerah" to her. Apparently SHE respawns Rumphy!!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:29 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Looks like a candidate for the BEST TIPS thread to me!!

Great one, Malthaussen!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 10:47 PM   #4
andora20
Manshoon

Doesn't work though If u install the patch
andora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 12:09 AM   #5
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I didn't know that you had to say "Sanctus Kerah" to get Rumphy to repsawn. Here all this time I was just walking into the room, turning around and walking back. Amazingly Rumphy respawned anyway. I wonder if Dezmund was muttering "Sanctus Kerah" under his breath when they entered the room.... nah. Dezmund was muttering, but it definately wasn't "Sanctus Kerah."

Anyway, I think you just have to get far enough away and then he will respawn.

As for the patch, I play with holes in my code. I never got the patch and I am not sure that I want to. The troubles are worth living with and the benefits without the patch seem to be quite good.

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 12:52 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Knarfling wrote:
Quote:
As for the patch, I play with holes in my code. I never got the patch and I am not sure that I want to. The troubles are worth living with and the benefits without the patch seem to be quite good.
Amen to that, brother!!!

Thanks for the info on Rumphy, BTW...I never could get him to respawn unless I either reloaded the dungeon or said "Sanctus Kerah" to the statue. Maybe I need to try going a little further than what I did.

-Sazerac

Old 05-11-2001, 09:40 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I'm patchless too!

"If it isn't broke, don't fix it." Never had any problems and like the perks!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:45 AM   #8
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

So, you can use what to hit this guy? Just magic? I don't remember anything I had hitting him. Have Fire and Stone spells btw. Thanks

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 10:47 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Elemental Blast and Zap are most efficacious against him. So are any weapons that are +1 or higher (+1 short swords, +1 long swords, etc.) Witch's Sticks will also work.

If you have Moon and Fiend magic, Pain and Spectral Raven work against him as well. Not sure about other spells, though.

Word of warning: Make sure you save before "whacking". Rumphy has a very small probability chance of "stoning" one of your characters on a successful hit, and if so, it can be rather $$$ to "unstone" them at the temple, unless you have "Stone to Flesh" which is one of the 6th level Stone Magic spells.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:50 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One other thing...if the patch removed Rumphy's ability to respawn, then it ADDED a bug to the game, because according to HPI, the respawning of Rumphy was by design, not a bug. He was specifically placed in the Crypt as a character "trainer", much like the Murphy's Ghosts waaaaaay back in Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

(I must have battled those ghosts at least 500 times or more! Not exaggerating...in fact, I may be understating it.)

One more reason not to use the patch unless absolutely necessary!

-Sazerac