Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
calon
Dungeon Master

Has anyone got any advice about which spells i should take with a sorcerer?

So far I've taken chromatic orb, magic missile, shield, find familiars, protection from evil, mirror image, knock, melf’s acid arrow, web, melf’s minute meteors, spell thrust, haste, spider spawn and stoneskin.

I'm not soloing. My party will consist of Jaheira, Imoen and Minsc. I'm not sure yet if I will have a fighter more (Keldorn) join the party.
calon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by calon:
[QB] Has anyone got any advice about which spells i should take with a sorcerer?

So far I've taken chromatic orb, magic missile, shield, find familiars, protection from evil, mirror image, knock, melf’s acid arrow, web, melf’s minute meteors, spell thrust, haste, spider spawn and stoneskin.

Check out Dundee's spell list.
BTW, why on earth did you chose find familiar? You are likely to only cast it once throughout the whole game, and that should be from a scroll you find.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Spell choices aren't so critical if you're in a party. But if you ever play a sorcerer again, not find familiar!! You only cast it once and you can find a scroll v early in the game.

Not gonna wade through Level 1 or 2 apart from
Level 1 - Identify (if you haven't got high lore, or can't be bothered with waiting for the glasses to recharge)
Level 2 - Mirror Image - great spell
Level 3 - Remove magic, skull trap and Mass Inv
Level 4 - Imp Invis, Stoneskin, Wizard Eye if you plan on using PI cheese,
Level 5 - Breach, Lower Resistance, Spell Immunity
Level 6 - Contingency, Possibly death spell, Improved Haste (but maybe not if you've already got haste memorised, it's much superior though), Mislead, Prot Magical Weapons, True Sight, maybe Prot Magical Energy
Level 7 - Mordy Swords if you need some fighting power, Project Image - incredibly powerful, Spell Sequencer
Level 8 - ADHW!!!, poss PW:Blind, Spell Trigger
Level 9 - Chain Contingency, Spellstrike, Spell Trap (although not if you've picked up everyone's favourite staff), Time Stop!!!, Possibly wish
Level 10 - Dragons Breath, poss energy blades (not as important as a solo game i shouldn't think), Imp Alacracity (awesome, use with timestop and clear the screen), Summon Planetar

EDIT: Left out flame arrow which does a suprising amount of damage

[ 03-08-2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Don't learn Identify. A sorceror gains 3 lore per level, plus you should have some sort of lore bonus at least from your intelligence. Stores can ID items from your early on, and before you know it, you won't need ID anymore.
I didn't see Magic Missile in shamrock's list. That's a must have spell.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Hmmm...I'm soloing a sorcerer now, but I've played one through with a party before. Here's some of my picks:

Level 1
  • Magic Missile: one of the most useful spells in the game.
  • Chromatic Orb: the level 12+ orb is a poor man's finger of death (for a level one spell)
  • Spook: the -6 to saving throws really helps
The rest you can choose on your own. Identify is pretty good, Shield can help protect against Magic Missile, and Friends helps with buying stuff cheaper. Not much else for this level.

Level 2
  • Mirror Image: awesome defensive spell, pretty much a must-have
  • Glitterdust: an area effect blindness that also reveals invisible; pretty useful spell
  • Melf's Acid Arrow: a damaging spell that spreads out its damage, helping to disrupt spellcastin
I also usually take either Web or Horror (depends on my party and/or my mood at the time), and also Vocalize.

Level 3
  • Melf's Minute Meteors: solid spell, especially against creatures like golems
  • Skull Trap: this spell can hurt if you don't use it right (not much range), but it really hurts the enemy
  • Flame Arrow: a very strong attack spell (this is a very good level for offense).
I usually like Dispel Magic and Haste at this level as well.

Level 4
  • Greater Malison: a pretty much must-have; later opponents will make all of their saves without this spell
  • Stoneskin: this is a must-have (not even pretty much must-have...definitely must-have).
  • Improved Invisibility: useful for sneaking around party members, and the bonus to AC can help in combat
I usually also take Emotion (Confused opponents can still attack) and Spider Spawn (especially if I took Web at level 2; this combo can take you through a good part of SoA).

Level 5
  • Breach: another must-have. Only sure-fire way to take down Stoneskin, PfMW, etc.
  • Animate Dead: take once you get to level 15 (Skeleton Warriors rock)
  • Lower Resistance: if you plan to do more than just breach down defenses for your tanks, you'll need this spell later in the game
  • Spell Immunity: an overlooked spell by some people, this spell will save your bacon more than once.
I usually round out my list with Feeblemind (person just stands there and drools while you cut them down).

Level 6
  • Chain Lightning: party friendly attack spell; great in closed quarters
  • Death Spell: you'd be surprised at some of the Hit Dice of some of the creatures in the game; this will take out a lot of creatures, and all summons.
  • Improved Haste: turns your tanks into chainsaws, without fatiguing them.
  • True Sight: the best illusion-killer out there.
I usually finish it off with Mislead or Protection from Magic Weapons (usually the latter).

Level 7
  • Project Image: greatly increases your spellcasting ability (use the image's spells instead of yours); wait until you get chain contingency
  • Mordenkainen's Sword: great summon. period.
  • Ruby Ray of Reversal: an Alteration spell that takes down magic defenses (thus, gets around Spell Immunity: Abjuration). Affects any level protection, as well.
  • Spell Sequencer: extremely useful.
I usually round out with Finger of Death.

Level 8
  • Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting: your best area attack spell (except if you have ToB... ).
  • Protection from Energy: great protection for all of the energy damage you will face along the way.
  • Pierce Shield: knocks down a spell protection and lowers magic resistance all at once.
  • Spell Trigger: very useful.
I usually round out with Symbol, Stun

Level 9
  • Time Stop: do I really need to explain this one?
  • Chain Contingency: just like the sequencer and trigger, extremely useful
  • Shapechange: great spell, especially after you cast Time Stop...
  • If you have ToB, then Wish (really don't need to explain)
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:04 AM   #6
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

does no one take is it kebels warding whip?

It's a greatly effective spell often overlooked, takes down spell defences over time, so you need only cast it once and it'll rip down defences as they come up, very very effective if used at the right moment.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:19 AM   #7
Xzirox
Manshoon

wow...nice list of spells Nerull
Old 03-09-2004, 03:24 AM   #8
calon
Dungeon Master

I didn't remember about the familiar scroll :/
But I guess it doesn't matter that much.

thx everyone for the help!
calon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:28 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Identify is useful for Sorcerers because...

Bum-bum-bumdum!

Sorcerers only get +1 Lore per level.

Besides... what else do you want to pick? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Khelben's Warding Whip is useful, but a Sorcerer has limited spell picks and Ruby Ray of Reversal can eliminate any Spell Protection, something a KWW cannot do.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:40 AM   #10
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

but KWW only has to be cast once, once it's going you can cast your offensive spell's while the other magi put's defences back up only to have them stripped away again..

Personaly I like KWW then breach +BBoD and your looking at some pain.. but then I like BBoD so [img]tongue.gif[/img]

oh not picked Shocking grasp in BG or BG2 yet, but I find it quite deadly in IWD, so that might be another good pick, or chill touch..

[ 03-09-2004, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Q'alooaith ]