Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-07-2001, 05:46 PM   #31
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
*coughs*

It's spelt 'Blokes' FYI.

*walks off, shaking his head*

Nothing Like The Good Old English Language Eh Sharpedge, They Say Americans Speak English, But They Come Out With Strange Things... But, I Suppose They Think The Same About Us!

------------------

I Am... The Bad Dude
Old 09-07-2001, 05:48 PM   #32
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I am so tempted to use profanity for the sheer delight and hell of itbut I will refrain, ■■■■ it
Old 09-07-2001, 05:49 PM   #33
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Well I'll be a son of a suck-egg mule!
(My mom's favorite, came from her father who replaced curses with less hostile phrases.)

------------------

Father of the wickedly cute child known as MaryBeth
Old 09-07-2001, 05:51 PM   #34
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
What if I were from England, and I came on here and said...
Blimey! You bloody, blooming, bloaks!!!
Would that be bad???

Hehehehe!! No! Most people here would think you were a touch... er... *touched*.. doncha know?

------------------

Old 09-07-2001, 05:51 PM   #35
Lioness
Jack Burton

Okay Saz!

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Old 09-07-2001, 05:52 PM   #36
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Nothing Like The Good Old English Language Eh Sharpedge, They Say Americans Speak English, But They Come Out With Strange Things... But, I Suppose They Think The Same About Us!

Yeah...why the freak is the word blood a vulgar word?
My wife's maiden name is Blood, and her parents' ancestors date back to having a Duke in her family....

------------------

Father of the wickedly cute child known as MaryBeth
Old 09-07-2001, 06:03 PM   #37
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:

Yeah...why the freak is the word blood a vulgar word?
My wife's maiden name is Blood, and her parents' ancestors date back to having a Duke in her family....

The word 'blood' is not vulgar by any stretch of the word. Only when a 'y' is added to the end of the word, does it become remotely offensive. It's a relatively minor swear word in any case, IMHO.

Nonetheless, I don't think Saz intended for this thread to become an area for comparative cultural cussing, fascinating as it may be.

In all seriousness, I agree wholeheartedly. Strong language does not have a place in a forum such as this.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 06:10 PM   #38
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

There are some small but ever so fascinating corners of the Anglo-Saxon lexicon hidden away from the light of day *sigh*

------------------
Regards

Mouse who says "Swearing is neither big nor clever - but it is kinda fun sometimes "

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 06:11 PM   #39
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Well I'll be a son of a suck-egg mule!
(My mom's favorite, came from her father who replaced curses with less hostile phrases.)

ROTFL!!! Now that sounds like it's deep south, Larry!

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 06:18 PM   #40
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
The word 'blood' is not vulgar by any stretch of the word. Only when a 'y' is added to the end of the word, does it become remotely offensive. It's a relatively minor swear word in any case, IMHO.

Nonetheless, I don't think Saz intended for this thread to become an area for comparative cultural cussing, fascinating as it may be.

In all seriousness, I agree wholeheartedly. Strong language does not have a place in a forum such as this.

Personally, I do find it fascinating as well. The f-word (which is the one in question) is not considered to be as vulgar to some cultures as it is to others. I remember a movie with Steve Martin in it (L.A. Story, I think) in which a British girl, when asked if she was tired after her flight, laughed and replied with, "Oh, nothing that a shower and a good f--- wouldn't cure!" Everyone at the table was totally offended, except Steve Martin's character, who was charmed by her, and thus the romance started. Point being, outside of the US, that word isn't as highly offensive as it is here.

Also, I remember a friend of mine who was from Saudi Arabia, that said one of the worst insults you could say to someone was "your father's left sandal." To us in the states, it would garner no more than a peculiar look and probably a thought like "what HUH?" To them, it was cause for bloodshed, because of their particular culture. The left side of the body was considered to be unclean because it belonged to the Devil, the foot was a particularly unclean portion of the body because it trod where people and animals did their business (apparently it is common practice to just squat anywhere you will, esp. in the desert), and the association with the father threw all that dirt and uncleanliness back upon one's lineage. Interesting cultural point.

So, no, we can't control for every cultural instance of "cussing"...only those which are universally recognized.

------------------