Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
shadowspecter
The Magister

Well, I have just some random questions that I just decided to ask....Yea, well here they are:

1) In some post, people will say "Here's my 2 cent." Well....heh heh....what does that mean? Why is it used that way?

2) This question is also similar to above. The word "shotgun", a term used to say you got front seat next to driver....Why is this term used the way it is?

3) This is not even gonna relate to anything I said above...I think. Well does anyone know a site that list all the currently known adware and spyware?

Well there they are....Yep....Thanks if you can answer any of them.
“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” <br />-Mark Twain<br /><br />“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?” <br />-Scott Adams
Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

1. It means I'm going to give you something (advise) that's probably worthless but may have a little value.
2. Probably goes back to the old west stagecoaches, where the guy sitting on the driver's right held a shotgun.
3. Have you tried looking at the Ad-Aware sites like lavasoft.com? Maybe you can view their definition files.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:29 AM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

1) I don't know

2) is because if you were doing a drive by you cant shoot and drive. So the person in the passanger seat holds the shot gun.

3) There is no site (to my knowledge) that contains a list of all spy wear. The lavasoft (Adaware) site and spybot sites may have some lists there.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:31 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

1)Yeah, It pretty much means im going to give you my opinion.
2)I agree with Vulcanrider, mainly because I have no idea and he sounds right.
3)If you head over to Cloudbringers forum (The Oasis) with this link, there is a thread on usefull programs, such as a few of the spyware removal tools.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 AM   #5
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Yes, as far as the origination of #2, I have heard the same as VulcanRider. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

#2 does go back to the old west, where there were two people driving the stagecoach... the actual driver and the guy carrying the gun, whose responsibility it was to kill anyone who tried to hold up the stagecoach.

'Course, those banditos knew about that, so they tried to kill the driver and shotgun rider first...

WRT the others, I've often heard the two cents line, but I've also heard "penny for your thoughts". What happens to the other penny?

And yes, I know that's some comedian's line. Consider it resurrected [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:03 AM   #7
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

and there i was thinking "shotgun" was a modern slang term or something, given it's origins i like it now.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Always sounded weird when you said "shotgun" because we use that term, and now we know. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks a lot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by shadowspecter:
Well, I have just some random questions that I just decided to ask....Yea, well here they are:

1) In some post, people will say "Here's my 2 cent." Well....heh heh....what does that mean? Why is it used that way?

2) This question is also similar to above. The word "shotgun", a term used to say you got front seat next to driver....Why is this term used the way it is?

3) This is not even gonna relate to anything I said above...I think. Well does anyone know a site that list all the currently known adware and spyware?

Well there they are....Yep....Thanks if you can answer any of them.
1 They want to give you money, don't accept it though, they are not to be trusted. Didn't your mother never teach not to accept anything from complete strangers ? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

2 I'll ask around in Compton the next time i'm there.

3 This is a handy tool.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:38 PM   #10
Gxc
Elminster

1) Not too sure.
2) I have no clue.
3) ^^ the one above.