Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Mellagar

*SPOILERS POSSIBLY LURK BELOW*

In the Cloakwood Forest, in the giant mound where the fat spider broad lives, and also where you get Spider's Bane, how do you fight off the sword spiders without getting your hat handed to you? In past games I used to pickpocket the magic cloak in the inn in Beregost, the cloak that could charm anyone from any distance as long as you could see them. Well I don't want to use that anymore as it seems like cheating and takes the fun out of it. So what tactics are good for this arena of mayhem? Let's hear 'em!
Mellagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Coran cleaned up in there practically on his own for me. Equip him with a beefy longbow and preferably boots of speed and he's a monster in there doing hit'n'run tactics.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Try and lure them a couple at a time, and use your fighters as the cannon fodder, taking the hits, while you get everyone else to use long range weapons. Also, you can cast a couple of MM's on them when they start to run out of health.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 AM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I would dart in with a mage and Wand of Fireball, fire the fireball, wait to see the damage the spiders took, and run out. Then repeat. It exploits the spiders' inability to follow you out the door, but I couldn't find any other way to do it.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:20 AM   #5
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

run is with your tanks, put them at the front with a cleric behind them constantly casting healing spellsthen have mages lay into the fat one and then kill off the spiders at your leasure
Old 04-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
ister
Drow Warrior

Blast away. Send in a fireball, and a couple of potions of explosions while your whole party stays at the door. The clean up whatever is left over with bows and direct damage spells.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
mad=dog

Leave the weakest outside. Usually Imoen in a "standard" party. I did it just a few hours ago with Charname, Minsc, Branwen and Dynaheir. The sword spiders usually hit you left and right flank so have your tanks there, in this case me and Minsc. Branwen is in the centre throwing entangle to stop anything else from approaching, and the few that does she engage. Meanwhile Dynaheir sends two fireballs centred just behind Centreol to clear the ettercaps and what else got caught and proceeds to toss magic missiles at the sword spiders where there is most trouble. I didn't have to do any cheese tricks at all.
So to sum up: Tanks on the right and left flank, cleric in the vanguard centre and mage in the rearguard centre is a good way to deal with them.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I always like stinking cloud, since I think the spiders are immune to web, cast stinking cloud, in the center of the group of them, then soften them up with either fireballs or wands of fire.

A tank with boots of speed is essential, mostly in order to keep the spiders away from your spell lobbers. A your cleric needs to be casting defensive harmony, chant and any other spells that stack for better AC/THAC0 (preferably before you go into the lair), other than that, be prepared to reload and keep slugging away. (I tended to send minsc in with the boots of speed as soon as the spider chick is dead to grab spiders bane and then go nuts, a tactic that works well in PnP D&D as well, go for the hoard before going for the monsters you can't hurt).
Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
Khayne
Dungeon Master

What is this Charname? I have seen it around on other sites and posts.
Khayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

character name (the main character)