Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-15-2001, 03:56 PM   #11
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce The Aussie:
i've just saved after killing the shadow dragon but i shot a wand of cloudkill into fog of war, then beat the sh*te out of him and am not sure if i can justifie this as not cheating or not

Naw. You just softened him up a bit.

Old 03-15-2001, 04:11 PM   #12
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

thanks (my consence feels better about it know)
Old 03-15-2001, 04:40 PM   #13
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Legal cheats? What has the world come to?? Better change the "c" word with "techniques", it is not really cheating if it is in the game. It is more like taking advantage of loop holes in the game.

P.S. "It is not cheating unless you get caught!!"

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-15-2001, 05:24 PM   #14
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
use wand of cloud kill on unseen opponent is DEFINATELY not a cheat, not even legal cheat.

If I am an adventure, and I saw my enemy just "vanished" in front of my eyes, my first reaction is to predict where he could be and throw a cloud kill there. it is not cheating
250, I agree with you on that one mate!
I've never used it on a dragon though, but there is one situation in the dungeon in the Windspear hills where it always saves my hide. I don't want to spoil anyone though, but I consider it a tactic, not even a 'legal' cheat!

Wands of Cloudkill ROCK!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:07 AM   #15
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

Know I once too battled dragons honarably.

Then I noticed the *$#*&#@#*%$# thing was casting stoneskin on himself.

I realized that the kid gloves were off then. This was WAR!

Still, setting traps is kinda cheep. So is that cleric spell, magic resistence. But hay, all is fair in love and war right?

I would suggest trying to kill a boss the honarable (hard) way first, and if that don't work then cheep him. No enjoyment out of a game that is too easy to win.

I cheep shotted Jon in his lab on the aslium with six magic missles cast from 3 differant sequenced mages. Teach him to walk about without propper protection. He left in such a hurry he didn't even bother to send "us" in. Cheep? Youbetcha, but he had it comming.

------------------
--Kellin da Mage--
Old 03-16-2001, 05:52 AM   #16
Cayle
The Magister

I think all is fair with the shadow dragon. You do have the wardstone after all. I think Firkag or Adalon (sp? the silver dragon) should preemtively attack if you set a trap or do the magic resistance trick. They can see you set the trap and if you cast magic resistance, they should "sense" it and realize that you are up to no good. Actually, I think even the shadow dragon would notice that and realize it was a prelude to an attack by an unseen enemy: stoneskin and wing buffet time. If I were Black Isle, I would have fixed that in the patch if it were not too difficult.

When I have fought Firkag (or the shadow dragon), I hastened my cleric and cast magic resistance RIGHT before unleaching my magic attacks. I feel this maked it fairer in that the dragon should turn red when my cleric pulls that stunt. I just force it. The haste helps my cleric (sometimes) clear out fast.

------------------
- Cayle
Old 03-16-2001, 08:35 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Domer40:
I just killed the shadow dragon by setting about 10 traps in its circle. When I shot it with an arrow the traps were sprung and the Dragon was Near Death. It only took another shot or two with arrows to kill it off. How many of you consider this tactic to be cheating? I don't because if I was really facing a dragon and could set traps to kill it and make my life easier, then that's what I would do.

Domer
Taking advantage of a deficiency in the game engine isn't considered cheating. It's what's called a "cheesy solution". It's pretty much a judgment call - everyone has their own standard of when a solution stops being creative and becomes cheesy. For example staying out of range to cast cloudkill on a dragon is fine in my opinion because that is a reasonably valid form of attack. But by just standing there and choking to death while you cast 5 consecutive cloudkill spells makes it a cheesy solution because it is unrealistic for a dragon to just stand there. But who cares anyway? It's your choice, as long as you enjoy the game.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-16-2001, 09:23 AM   #18
Lord Shield

I agree. The part about Entangle/Web/Stinking Cloud spells not making enemies hostile makes it too easy (especially with groups of adventurers like in the Promenade inn or the group in the sewers). But until they fix it, "Computer Error in your favour"

Old 03-16-2001, 10:22 PM   #19
Lukas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Mmmmm... I love cheese...
Old 03-17-2001, 01:50 AM   #20
deverece
Dungeon Master

For those who just have to ease their mind about traps, set them outside the dragon's vision and lure it to them, thats not cheating, thats an ambush.