Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: Legitimate Terror Target or Assassination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post

Would it be acceptable to drone-kill him here? (We can substitute snipers for drones, if you prefer, because the effect is the same.)
Probably not since the Posse Comitatus Act might likely preclude the use of military forces for domestic law enforcement. So no Air Force drones or Army snipers for that matter. Since this could be classified as a National Security Issue the lines might be a bit blurry. TL would probably know the particulars. Use of the National guard might be a possibility though.

And if he was in the US, capture might have been a viable option. Not sure if that was a legitimate option when he was in Yemen.

It's an interesting issue, but it's a moot point since he wasn't in the US. So the options were either to attempt to capture him (either via a solo US, solo Yemeni or a joint OP) or hit him from a distance with a drone.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: Legitimate Terror Target or Assassination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
So far we have what I was looking for--discussion of the issues at hand.

Most rational people will agree that this guy needed to be taken out--he was advocating violence against innocent civilians, wherever they may be found.

Felix, I am aware of the oath that military personnel take. The $64,000 question, though, is this: what happens if the President of the United States is acting against the Constitution? Does he qualify as a domestic enemy? I'm not talking about Obama, per se, but any person who is President who acts against that which he, also, swore to uphold. Even Bush. Also, who decides when/if the President is acting against the Constitution?

I have an answer, but its long and technical, and riddled with loopholes.

Quote:
Now...what if this guy had been doing this sort of stuff here instead of in Yemen? Would it be acceptable to drone-kill him here? (We can substitute snipers for drones, if you prefer, because the effect is the same.)
I don't think he would have survived the (insert choice of redneck sounding militia here) here.

Quote:
On a side topic, I prefer the use of drones because it keeps boots off the ground and doesn't unnecessarily endanger soldiers. I also prefer heavy use of sniper teams--take out the leaders of an enemy combatant force until no one steps up to lead it anymore.[/color]
There is collateral political damage with drones. I personally do not know where that drone was flown from, but I'd guess from a remote location in a US friendly country that could reach Yemen from remote control vehicle (which means they are closer than you think, but still a few hundred miles from strike). Unless one has emerged from under a shroom of late, they would be hard pressed not to be able to plot that locale.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Legitimate Terror Target or Assassination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
[/color]
I have an answer, but its long and technical, and riddled with loopholes.
We'll just make that another thread to discuss some other time.

Suffice it to say that this guy's fate should, ideally, send a message--don't incite others to acts of violence against civilians. Free speech is fine, but trying to get other people to car bomb shopping markets is not.

Still...I think putting our fellow citizens on a hit list has the potential to be disastrous.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote