Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-22-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I have used Mobil 1 for years, and would recommend it to anybody seeking a performance motor oil.

Does anybody have any personal knowledge of "Red Line Synthetic Oils"? Or any of their complete automotive products?

I have read 'their' literature, and testimonials, but last night was not my birth night. I'm searching for any, both, all, positive, negative experiences. And, the price ratio as compared to Mobil 1.

I use 0w30 November through April, and 5w40 April back to November.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:46 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Never heard of Red Line, Felix, but I use Shell Helix Ultra for my car.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

When using synthetic oil you generally don't get the investment back over regular mineral oil unless you are running a HIGH performance engine.

What are you're specific reasons for wanting to run a synthetic?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Factory aluminum Hi-Po V6 in a sports sedan. Factory oil is synthetic as well, she has over 45K, and see's triple digits weekly, even here in the states.
Mobil 1 runs me $4.00 a liter, dealer brand runs $14.50. I have never had a problem with any dealer using my oil during oil/filter changes, to include stamping the book.

Cost of normal oil .99 a liter.
Cost of synthetic $4.00 a liter.
Cost of motor because it didn't have the correct oil in it, priceless or $4500, whichever occurs first. Me tinks it pays for itself,

[ 10-23-2004, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:39 AM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

Well, you'll find that the cost of running synthetic versus mineral won't pay off in a factory motor.

I run a 700hp 428 in one of my vehicles with regular oil. Synthetic's just don't pay dividends.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:09 AM   #6
Bristowe
Elminster

I only know Redline oils are supposedly a high performance oil and probably useful if you're running a high performance engine [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But from my own experience, i find using a decent oil and changing it regularly (every 5000 km or so) is more important than getting the most hardcore oil you can find and not changing it regularly...
Old 10-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Bristowe:
But from my own experience, i find using a decent oil and changing it regularly (every 5000 km or so) is more important than getting the most hardcore oil you can find and not changing it regularly...

Good, and sound judgement. Even thou I use Mobil 1, and hang out Here where Mobil 1 can go 10K, I still change at the 'book' (5K) data for dealer supplied synthetic.

Animal; I believe we have swapped automotive stories once before. I run open road, Autobahn, and open circuit. Excess hp will only get one off the course if the rest of the car can't handle it. I'm sure you could turn some low ETs, but how long can you run 150+ MPH on a open course? I'm concerned with 'other' leading brand synthetic oils, not exactly what we all run. Thou that could be a future topic. I still chuckle when I reminisce the last topic where that one person said he drives in excess of 300KPH. I was just curious as to how many folks here used synthetics, and or the brands.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 10-24-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Speaking of oil, how much oil do you have to put in your car per month/year? I drive an Alfa Romeo GTV and I've been having to put about a litre of oil every 1000kms, or two weeks, more than one friend who drives a Porsche Boxster and more than another friend who drives a BMW M3. I've asked the dealer to check this out on numerous occasions but even the manual says you're supposed to to that. It's crazy!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2004, 01:11 AM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Speaking of oil, how much oil do you have to put in your car per month/year? I drive an Alfa Romeo GTV and I've been having to put about a litre of oil every 1000kms, or two weeks, more than one friend who drives a Porsche Boxster and more than another friend who drives a BMW M3. I've asked the dealer to check this out on numerous occasions but even the manual says you're supposed to to that. It's crazy!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]
Mine? None. Even at the 5K mile mark it's spot on full. It holds 6.5L with oil filter during the change.

My experience with Alfa's are from Germany, and they do use oil. Heh, they aren't too fuel efficeint either. But when it's right, it's tight. You didn't mention mileage, year or motor, but me tinks 1L per 1Kk is normal in most Alfa's with 160+K Kms.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen