Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-11-2005, 01:21 AM   #1
Baphomet
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello, I'm new to the game and would like to ask experienced guys some questions. Can you tell about classes in general, about new skills.
And what do you think about being fighter/barbarian and fighter/paladin?
How much should I level up to change my role. I become barbarian when my fighter was 6th level.
And where is rogues guild?
Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Baphomet! May your kills in the Gael Serran fertilize a whole new generation of crops [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, to respond to your questions... there are no bad choices you can make. I personally go through about four or five class changes per game, and on occasion, have held nearly every class. There's nothing wrong with it, that's for sure.

You will learn new skills at the guilds, typically at certain guild levels. Level 3 and 5 seem to be the most important, with level 3 offering new skills to everyone, and level 5 offering class-specific skills. That doesn't always hold true, but it often does.

Personally, I like to switch my fighters to barbarians ASAP. My cleric remains a cleric until he or she has one *special* level 4 vine spell, and after that, we can switch to another class when ready. For mages, I like them to get all their level 7 magic spells (especially stone magic); once they've done that (which is usually around level 13 or so for me), they can change classes whenever it feels good.

Once I get a ranger, he or she needs to stay a ranger until they get a *special* class-specific trait at the warrior guild when they train. So I usually don't like to switch anyone to ranger until after Ishad N'ha, the second city.

Ishad N'ha, BTW, is where you will find the first rogues' guild. There isn't one in Valeia, which is part of the reason why I don't play rogues. A barbarian can pick locks and detect traps as well as any rogue, and I usually have two of 'em fairly quickly...

If you look through the Best Tips thread, you'll find lots of info on class choices, options, tradeoffs, and such. There are a fair number of spoilers in there as well, so if you don't want those, stay away. You can search through the forum with the phrase "starting party" or something like that, and you'll find every post done on that topic. Click on the word "search" at the top of the page to do that.

Oh, one more thing... you posted a question in the Tech Tips thread about combat. Unfortunately, you do have to do a lot of precision clicking to attack other critters. Many times, you just have to be patient. Sorry If it helps, you can back up a little bit, or get a little closer. That sometimes makes it easier.

When it comes to picking up treasure, you just need to move the mouse around until the cursor changes to a blue cross-hair circle. Then you can pick up the item you're looking at.

And do keep us posted on your progress! We're always happy to have new folks out here
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

I just started W&W recently too, and the folks in this forum have been really helpful with my questions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you check out the 'Best Tips' thread and use the forum's Search option, you'll find a lot of useful tips here.

One thing I did, that I do in most CRPGs I play: spent a little time playing with a trial party just to get a feel for the game, then I restarted and created the party I plan to play all the way through the game. Now that I have some idea what I'm doing and understand better how the game works, things are going a lot more smoothly than with my first party.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rogues: as Bungleau said, the nearest Rogue Guild is in Ishad N'Ha. And you won't be able to get there until you've finished up the Crypt in the starting area.

One of my characters is a Pixie Rogue, and she's doing just fine; not having a guild isn't hurting her any. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I put one point into her Sword skill and then concentrated on her Traps & Locks skill, and she's been a very useful member of my party.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as targetting: move the mouse slowly and watch the pointer; it changes shape when you're over a target or something you can pick up. It takes a little practice; took me a while, and I'm still not great at it.

If you're having major problems, you might try going into Windows Control Panel and adjusting your mouse settings; maybe slow the mouse pointer down some so it's easier to control. (I'm not sure this will work: some games ignore the mouse settings in Control Panel. I don't know about W&W.)
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
DinkumThinkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Baphomet. Hope you stick around. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
Baphomet
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Recently I discovered that switching to software mode solves the problem with mouse pointing. But in software mode graphics worsen. So my suggestion is that it's happening because of directx or video card drivers. But I can't install old directx - win XP doesn't allow this.(( I'm working on this problem))
P.S. thanks for your answers! They helped me.
Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Baphomet!!!

Hope the advice others have already provided is helping you on your way! There's always good advice to be found here!

As Bungleau pointed out - there is a lot of flexibility in developing your characters. I do prefer that my magic users learn their level 7 spells before changing class. Do remember that not all spells are worth learning (like Blood to Gold - worthless).

Changing a Fighter to a Paladin was one of the first class changes I did in W&W! [img]smile.gif[/img] I always like to have several characters capable of healing!

Keep us posted on how your game is going!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The game will work just fine with DX9. I did run into some issues when I upgraded for DX9.0B to DX9.0C, but I haven't spent enough time tweaking to be exactly certain of what went wrong.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

It's working fine for me with WinXP SP2 and DX9, with all the latest patches, updates, etc.

I have an occasional flickering problem on the menus that I haven't managed to completely get rid of, but it's just a minor nuisance and easy enough to stop when it happens.
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
DinkumThinkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Griefmaker
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:

As Bungleau pointed out - there is a lot of flexibility in developing your characters. I do prefer that my magic users learn their level 7 spells before changing class.

Of course, if you change your magic user's class to a Warlock, then you can learn all level 7 spells easily (assuming you take previous classes that allow you access to all realms of spells, and that you have enough gold to buy skills at level up from the guilds).