Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #1
Gavin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I recently got out of the UnderDark, and I would say that the toughest battle was definitely against the 5 Demon Knights in the Exit city of the shark folks.

The only way I could do it was:

stick everyone in the side rooms off the main corridor leading to the Demon Knight temple, have everyone cast a bajillion protection spells on Korgan, give him the cloak of reflection, give him boots of speed, and most importantly, cast Chaotic Commands on him, and send him in. I found that by using hit and fade tactics with his boomerang axe, he could kill one knight by leading it all the way over to the far left room. If the knight wasn't quite dead, I had the magic users in there ready to fire up some summoned critters to distract the knight while Korgan ran around the room getting his licks in.

Sending Korgan in against the Beholders with the cloak of reflection on was a joke, he usually didn't even have to throw his axe (but he did anyway. He's Korgan, after all!)

------------------
'Always leave the enemy an avenue of escape. An enemy cornered fights on death ground.' - Sun Tzu
Old 09-13-2001, 08:29 PM   #2
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

yeah, i found these guys were one of the hardest battles in the game. many, many reloads... I think i ended up sending my kensai/mage in, flanked by 4 skeletal warriors. the kensai was buffed out with next to everything, and was barely even hurt... but it took me awhile to arrive at that strategy.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:55 PM   #3
Thrawn
The Magister

tooke me a couple try but i the end i just supermega buffed the party and went outright melee crazzy on them, had a kenshi/mage, a ranger/clerc, a clerc/mage a fighter, and an archer, so i just rememorized with every single defensive spells then cast 20 of them all over the freaking place then i just whooped ass, , what half of the party still drouped dead by the end of the fight but the second the demons spawned in, one of my party got hit for an omg crit, and exploded so i reloaded rebuffed then waitited in the coner and spawned them in then gang up all on one, heh that one exploded, then i ended up ganging up on all the rest, a couple of the party died but atleast they didn't explode, thanks god. the only one remaining in the end was my kenshi/mage with blood explodeing everywhere, heck i bet that kenshi/mage could solo them all but i didn't take the risk cause he's my main char,
Old 09-14-2001, 02:58 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Demon Knights, meet Mr Skeleton Warrior 1 and 2, Mr Aerial Servant and Mr Cuddly Wuddly Mountain Bear 1 and 2.

Boys... maul them.

While my party were enjoying their tea and crumpets, these five summons took out all the Demon Knights... ... pretty easy fight... for them... ...

And even more cheesy is 5 Skeleton Warriors... ...

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-14-2001, 04:11 AM   #5
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Demon Knights, meet Mr Skeleton Warrior 1 and 2, Mr Aerial Servant and Mr Cuddly Wuddly Mountain Bear 1 and 2.

Boys... maul them.

While my party were enjoying their tea and crumpets, these five summons took out all the Demon Knights... ... pretty easy fight... for them... ...

And even more cheesy is 5 Skeleton Warriors... ...

Are you playing on a lower difficulty? I originally summoned 4 skeletal warriors and 1 animal (needed for sacrifice), moved the animal to the altar, and moved all my chars out of the room and closed the door. The Skeletal Warriors didn't kill a single knight, and were destroyed in about a minute. I tried again substituting 2 aerial servants with 2 skeletal warriors Maybe you got REALLY lucky? not sure.

Old 09-14-2001, 04:31 AM   #6
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

one of the basic tactics in this or any other fight is, if you have the opportunity, gang up on the enemies one at a time. one on one a demon knight would and should rock a skeleton warrior. the knights start out scattered so that if all four skeletons concentrated initially on the southernmost knight, the knights at N and NW wouldnt even see them yet, giving them 4x1 the first round, and then 4x3 as the SW and E knights joined in. it's not guaranteed theyd kill all five, but theyd kill at least one and severely damage a couple of others, not to mention soaking up all those power word kills, stuns, and remove magics.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:40 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The trick is, you must fight them one by one. Of course 5 at the same time would be a force to reckon with, but when there is only one of them... heh, heh, heh... ...

You will note that they do not really spawn near each other. So here is what I do. First, send somebody in the room so that you can see the Altar. Then move everyone out of the room. Summon some weak expendable creature and click the Altar's location. When the Demon Knights spawn, you then start summoning your creatures.

When you have five of them, send them just beyond the door, 2 Knights will engage them, but the rest will not, after the 2 have been deafeated, a third and possibily fourth may join in now. Summon more as necessary, alhough the initial five should be okay, unless the Demon Knights get too many critical hits and the summons made too many critical misses.

Skeleton Warriors rocks against them because the Demon Knights waste a lot of time casting spells at them and we all know how effective magic is against Skeleton Warriors. By the time they engage in melee, the Skeleton Warriors have one free round already.

Furthermore, when you have 5 Skeleton Warriors wailing on them at the same time, it won't be long before they croak and die. At an average of 15 damage per hit, that's 75 damage per round... ... and they rarely miss.

Oh, and only in hard and insane will the enemy deal more damage if I recall correctly. Are you playing in such difficulties?

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-14-2001, 05:31 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Agreed.. Bolt of Glory does help a lot though..

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 05:39 AM   #9
Jim
Quintesson

Negative Plane protect all your melee fighters, as level/energy draining is probably the most dangerous attack they posess.
Old 09-14-2001, 05:41 AM   #10
Vampire

I had 2 fire and 2 earth elementals as fodder. No problem.
I did take them on one by one so...

------------------