Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-02-2001, 11:22 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Mostly in RPG games, at the beginning of the game you're very poor and can't buy all the good items. During your adventure you kill monsters, found chests, sell items and you gain gold pieces and dreaming about to buy these weapons, armors, items. But through the middle stage (or through the end) of the game you become extremely rich and you got lots of gold and you feel like you can buy anything. That's the point where the game lost its fun a bit. It happens mostly in all RPG games. I wonder if it happens also in BG2? Anybody who got over 500.000 gp? (or 1 million)
Old 09-02-2001, 11:40 PM   #2
Kitka
Dungeon Master

yeah, it happens a bit. but most of the really great gear requires you to fight a pretty tough opponent or party, in bgII. money is spent mostly on recharging wands and buying potions, there really isnt so much good gear on the shelves. you may want to buy baldurans armour or the belt of strength, but to raise such large sums you must fight through several encounters that usually give you better stuff anyway. rest assured that if you want the best sword / stave / ring, they cant be bought: you will have to fight many beast obscura.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:56 AM   #3
zNOVAz
The Magister

Actually I just noticed that I have not bought anythign in two chapters,, I just use the stuff I find and I have more than enough weopons and potions, p[lus I sell a lot of the extra, I have no idea even how much money I do have,,,
Old 09-03-2001, 10:59 AM   #4
deathknight
Drow Warrior

really i get more potions (or steal hehe) than I know what to do with but the good gear that can be bought in shops is simply amazing. I usually know what I want and save for it. I haven't really ever had THAT much extra left over though.
Old 09-03-2001, 12:47 PM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

To make the game more exciting dont let the gp get over 50.000
I go to shop and I bought expensive items (such as +5 hp amulets, a sword which causes only 2 more damage than my sword) and I left with only 1000! And I dont steal anything just buy so I dont spend my thief's skillpoints to pickpocket and I save them to disarm or hide in shadows. On monsters I collect only +1 and more weapons dont carry basic swords armors etc it makes the game more enjoying
Old 09-03-2001, 12:57 PM   #6
Vampire

I only have too much gold in the last hours.

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 04:34 AM   #7
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i completely agree. after buying every spell i would use and the few items i needed (notably the hill giant girdle and stonefire), i donated the rest of my money at ilmater's temple. aside from the few thousand gp's i'll need in the UD, i never pick up equipment i'm not going to use, and any excess over 5k i donate. i can rp it as keeping the guard off my violent trail, hiring messengers, and living large at the best brothels and inns.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:31 PM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Resting in royal inns, donating money to temple and drinking dragon beers (genie gins, tarrasque whiskeys!?) yeahh very enjoying and I'm doing too. I feel good when my men rested in a comfortable hall.

I didnt understand the part "the guard off my violent trail, hiring messengers" whats that?
Old 09-05-2001, 05:05 AM   #9
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

keeping the guard of my tail... consider that you're in a major city wandering around in full battle gear duking it out in the streets and taverns, houses and shops. number one this points out the glaring corruption and ineffectiveness of the guard (count how many athkatla quests you get to do because the officials have been bribed or just arent powerful enough, the latter being an excuse for the former). two, you're stepping on helm knows how many toes and gold seems to be the standard way to placate them.

re messengers, in a pnp the party almost always has a courier "service". it's not like the party's a bunch of orphans with zero connections outside of the party. the fact that ANY of the scripted npc quests involve messengers in such a huge expanse of land coupled with a crowded trade port definitely implies there's some method of locating people.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:07 AM   #10
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

if you are smart you buy thing's for healing and stuff
than you have money left for a weapon