Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-12-2001, 02:04 AM   #1
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

I just killed both of them on one days worth of spells.

First, things not to do with Kangaxx.
1. Don't use Projected Image. I figured when he imprisoned my image, I would be able to summon some other stuff. Nope. You just can't move and he zaps you next.

2. Don't get between you and your summons. He imprisons you instead.

3. Don't forget about a demons death gaze. In my second attempt, I killed Kangaxx only to get killed by his pit fiend that finally got released from his Maze.

Kangaxx turned out to be easier than I expected. I summoned a couple of Mordenkainen's Swords and put them in the corner. I spider spawned two spiders. One I put near the swords and the other near Kangaxx's spawing spot. I opened the casket and ran near the top. (Just barely enough to see him at the edge of the fog)

I cast Simulcrum and waited for Kangaxx's protections to pop-up. He casted a death spell and killed only one spider. The other spider and two swords then go in and attack. He summoned an efreeti which lasted long enough to show up before he got death spelled himself.

My simulcrum and I dispelled his protections. Two critical hits and a few Melf's Minute Meteors later, Kangaxx tried to get mean. I didn't lose any of the summons and didn't take a hit. Time stop...
MMM...MMM...MMM...MMM...MMM...MMM... you get the picture. Oops. He just imprisoned my spider. Both swords hit. Simulcrum and I are blasting away with MMM. Lost two more swords. I timed it well enough that when he imprisoned the second sword I used my freedom scroll. All three came back, just in time as the simulcrum finished him off.

I proceeded to head to see Firkraag. Sent three hasted (improved) skeleton warriors in to clean out the Dungeon. I used 2 fireballs and one abi-horrid wilting. Conster the mage was a joke. Two well placed skull traps did him in. I went up to slay Firkraag.

I cast Simulcrum and summoned a wyvern. I placed the wyvern near Firkraag and moved the simulcrum and I just within eyesight. I cast Lower resistance. I waited until just before it fired and used my simulcrum to cast breach. His resistance dropped and he went hostile. His stoneskin promptly came up and got dispelled the next second. He wing buffeted the wyvern just as my second lower resistance hit. My simulcrum fired magic missiles. I used timestop.
Abi's horrid wilting, spell sequencer (three magic missiles), minor spell sequencer (two magic missiles), greater malison, two acid arrows, and a polymorph other scroll (just for good measure), and finally, two more magic missiles.

Once again, the simulcrum gets the killing blow with her magic missile.

Edit: Actually, I forgot I rested in Firkraag's Dungeon. So not technically one day's worth of spells.

Twisted rune....here I come.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Mitro Jellywadder ]

Old 11-12-2001, 04:15 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

For Twisted Rune, consider a scroll of Protection from Undead and Spell Immunity( Evocation), both will help a lot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Congratulation on beating Kangaxx and Firkragg, especially Kangaxx, since many people find it nasty to fight him, even with a party. Question though, why did you not use Skeleton Warriors against Kangaxx the Lich? Their 95% Magic Resistance would have given him a nasty headache( once he runs out of Death Spell).

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 11-12-2001, 08:59 AM   #3
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Good job, all in a days work eh? Killing Firkraag and Kangnaxx are on my to do list. Dragons and demi-liches beware!!!!
Old 11-12-2001, 09:18 AM   #4
YeRFDoG
The Magister

Once I killed Firkraag in about 30 seconds:

First I cast a lower resistance on him before he spoke (slight cheese, with old version [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Then I sent my fighter types, (Me, Minsc, Jaheira) to keep him busy so he wouldn't attack my magic users.
Next I think (can't quite remember) I cast a greater malison, followed by a Finger of Death, which worked!
Old 11-12-2001, 09:20 AM   #5
YeRFDoG
The Magister

Sorry, but I forgot to include this in my last post, congrats on killing both baddies! :cool:
Old 11-12-2001, 09:26 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I used Finger of Death before, on the Black Dragon. My party was like all buffed up and I was like, "Go! Go! Go!". As the Dragon wing buffeted the party, my Sorcerer casted Finger of Death and the Dragon croaked... barely after 2 rounds... ...

It was so anti-climatic! I reloaded and fought it again... ...
Old 11-12-2001, 01:29 PM   #7
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
For Twisted Rune, consider a scroll of Protection from Undead and Spell Immunity( Evocation), both will help a lot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Congratulation on beating Kangaxx and Firkragg, especially Kangaxx, since many people find it nasty to fight him, even with a party. Question though, why did you not use Skeleton Warriors against Kangaxx the Lich? Their 95% Magic Resistance would have given him a nasty headache( once he runs out of Death Spell).

You need a +4 weapon to hit him right? Or are meaning for a distraction? If you meant a distraction, I didn't want to waste the higher level summons in case I needed access to breach. (I didn't think he would drop so quickly.)

As for the Twisted Rune. Too late. I couldn't resist last night. It took four tries, but they're decomposing right about now. I kinda felt all powerful and stayed up till three to beat them. I am now the proud new owner of the super-cheese staff.
(And I thought I was tough before.)

I'm going to try messing around with the website maker so I can post some pictures.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:13 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You only need +4 or better weapons to hit the Demi-Lich form, Skeleton Warriors can hit the Lich form. The reason why it may seem that they cannot hit Kangaxx the Lich, is because Kangaxx the Lich most likely has protection spells like Mantle, Improved Mantle, Stoneskin, etc... They will however, eventually wear him down and kill him. They of course, cannot do anything to the Demi-Lich form, and can only serve as a distraction while you cast your Time Stop + MMM combo.

Congratulations on beating the Twisted Rune, here is a handy tip involving the Staff of Magi. Hold it while casting Mislead, the illusion will be invisible too, and remember, the Spell Trap on it lasts 8 hours, so treat it like Stoneskin.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:32 PM   #9
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Thanks Dundee. This is the first time I've ever given it to a mage that I was interested in. I've never exploited the abilities of it. The time has come. I am now hereby accepting any and all cheese tactics available.

I love the fact that you can cast your MMM and stoneskin and they remain through a brief rest. You wake up loaded for bear.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:44 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Just a gentle reminder, that you cannot have MMM and the SoM at the same time. So make sure that you do not need to be invisible during the fight, or things may get messy.

Here's a way to work around it. Cast Mislead first with the SoM equipped, you are now invisible permanently for 2 mins, you can cast MMM now and use it under the influence of invisibility.

Just remember that True Sight will kill your illusion if it is in its' line of sight and within visual range. Also, some creatures like the Kuo-Tuo and Liches can see invisible units, most bosses can too.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]