Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2002, 07:50 PM   #31
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

@Magik
I do believe that Nydlari was generalising, and while I don't agree with generalisation he does have a point in that white people (males in particular) tend to be at the top of the socio-economic curve, thus they (I know, I'm generalising [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) have an advantage when it comes to power, money and a say in how things are done.

I used to think the exact same way that you did Magik, in that everyone should have to earn their place in society and that if the govt stuck to the basics (Military and Police) and kept their nose out of Health, Education, Roading, Power etc... it would make the country the "fairest" place on earth.
In other words, people would pay for what they used - if you only have 1 kid, you don't need to pay for mr Blogg's seven children down the road - if you don't have a car, why should you pay for roads that other people use? and so on...

After doing a course last year on "Society and Education in Aotearoa/New Zealand" I have vehemently changed my mind on this matter. I can now see why it is necessary for everyone to look after each other. Those that are born into poverty will never have the same opportunities available to them that the "better off" have.

And for every story you hear of someone crawling out of the gutter to success, I bet there'll be 100 that don't make it.
You've probably heard of the saying "the rich get richer, while the poor get poorer" - this is so true of a right wing govt!
Now don't get me wrong, I know that left wing isn't the answer either, I just wish there was a middle ground where aspects of both could be brought together for the good of mankind [img]smile.gif[/img]

- I've probably waffled on and I'll be surprised if any of this makes any sense but hey, worth a shot
Old 04-01-2002, 08:44 PM   #32
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Taxing and even being the primary distributer of dope could never be as profitable as the way it is now.Take into account the local,state,and even federal agencys that profit directly from sezied money,cars,boats,planes,houses,and all other manner of property confiscated.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook