Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 06-13-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
Northraven
Manshoon

In my good play-through of BG2 I have been using a LG Paladin as my PC. One thing that I noticed is the lack of an uber-mage for good-alinged parties...I mean Nalia and Imoen are both decent and their low-level thief abilities make them even more useful but the only NPC mage with 18 INT is Edwin. How has everyone found the inability of Nalia and Imoen to scribe 9th lvl spells in the grand scheme of things...was it a big handicap without a PC mage in the party. I've only beaten SoA once and that was with a NG Mage so I am just looking for opinions and help/advice now that I am playing through again with a few different party/alingment combos.
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 01:24 AM   #2
Wynne
Dungeon Master

BG2 ignores such rules. Nalia, Imoen, and Aerie can all cast 9th level spells.

Edwin's 18 INT really means nothing, in fact, he dies faster than ANY of the three above, seeing as the rest of his stats are crap.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:13 AM   #3
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Giving edwin the staff of Magi is a very good way of stopping him from dying so often [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes there is a lack of a good pure mage... the tashia NPC is a good way of countering this [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:20 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Well, Aerie is a good mage, and she's LG, but except her, there are pretty few, yes. Too bad.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:57 AM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

With this lack of high mages is the reason I like to have two mage casters in the party. I say: BRING BACK DYNAHEIR!!!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:01 AM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
With this lack of high mages is the reason I like to have two mage casters in the party. I say: BRING BACK DYNAHEIR!!!
BURN MINSC, BURN MINSC!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:04 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
Giving edwin the staff of Magi is a very good way of stopping him from dying so often [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes there is a lack of a good pure mage... the tashia NPC is a good way of countering this [img]smile.gif[/img]
Also, from what I understand, the Kelsey mod adds a NG mage into the game...ok, well, he's a sorceror, but that can be even more powerful if you know how to play it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 02:54 PM   #8
Northraven
Manshoon

Edwin may die fast if you let him get into melee but man does he get A LOT of spells per level with his school specialization and that mysterious amulet [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:05 PM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Northraven:
Edwin may die fast if you let him get into melee but man does he get A LOT of spells per level with his school specialization and that mysterious amulet [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yes, Edwin is the best magic-npc, imo. But in this topic, good-aligned mages are the subject, so I kinda get the feeling that Edwin doesnt fit in here... [img]tongue.gif[/img]