Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 09-16-2002, 12:45 PM   #1
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I have this bug where the death of Kangaxx triggers a cut-scene mode (no status bars and no cursor) but nothing happens at all.

I already had installed the Bioware patch when I attacked Kangaxx and Baldurdash doesn't seem to be of much help either.

Does anyone have a clue what is happening or whether it is preventable?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:49 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Have you tried fighting Kangaxx again? It might be just a one-time bug.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Yep. Same quicksave though.

If I have to do it all over again it won't be to big a bother though. He's quite a pushover when most of your characters have hit the xp cap and five out of six party members possesses +4 or +5 weapons (if I had kept my Cloak of Stars that could be six out of six, damn!).
Old 09-16-2002, 12:58 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
You may have to deal with the posibility that he's been imprisoning your main character. Sometimes the game sticks on that and you never get the whole main character turns to dust scene.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:06 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

May I know what was your general tactic against him?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:28 PM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Well, Jan proceeded to pickpocket him for the cheesy Ring of Gaxx. I had drunk a potion of haste and an invisibility potion as well as casting non-detection on him so I could bail him out after the job was done.

A horde of inconcequential summoning spells stood ready to soak up some instadeath. The next wave of summons was hardier including a nishruu, a Mordenkainen's Sword and a steady stream of skeleton warriors (yep I read your guides ).

I sent in my main character, a berserked babarian wielding Crom Fayer and Flame Tongue standing right behind the skeleton warriors.

My other party members kept themselves a bit away from the line of scrimmage.

My mages (three of them) was busy throwing a steady stream of counterspells while Mazzy Fentan was providing fire support (Gesen Bow). Anomen animater skeleton warriors (they called him Anomen the Animator afterwards [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

At a point Kangaxx cast Meteor shower at which point I evacuated to the first floor. No obscene use of cheese (I was already quite guilty after having exploited the pickpocket bug) so I only used the breather to berserk my babarian and got down there again right after (evacuating a room after somebody casts Meteor Swarm seems a sensible move from a roleplaying point of view).

I proceeded with the same tactics which proved successful. Kangaxx the demi lich fell easily.

Kangaxx had summoned an efreeti that proceeded to kill Jan after the game went into freeze mode (Jan had snuck up to try backstabbing Kangaxx with the Cutthroat).

I played on core difficulty so I'm not especially hardcore.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:32 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Erm... what were your protections against his Imprisonment spell? I was looking out for that. Oh, and by the way, Barbarian's Enrage does not protect against Imprisonment, only the Berserker's Rage. Just in case this is the problem.

Do you see a grid matrix form around your main character?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:36 PM   #8
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Nope. As I said I always had a shield of summons between me and Kangaxx.

My character was all well a and ready to rumble after Kangaxx fell and the game went into cut-scene mode.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:44 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I would ask for the save game, but I got the Improved Kangaxx mod on, so the variables will be different. This is just speculation, but Kangaxx may be ignoring the summons and targeting your main character instead. One easy way to find out is to use a Protection from Magic scroll on your Barbarian. If it works, then all is well. If it does not, reload and conserve the scroll for future use and tell us about it.

ADD] Or use a Protection from Undead scroll. It is cheaper and much more common.

[ 09-16-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 09-16-2002, 02:11 PM   #10
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Still the game being frozen by an uneventful cut-scene is not the usual effect when your main character gets imprisoned. Usually you get the pulverized hand video.

Also the effect happens a half second after Kangaxx's corpse drops (complete with the ring and everything).