Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Adamo
Dungeon Master

My character has the ability to disable traps(supposedly) but every time I try (about 5 or 6 times so far) I always get a 'Success not possible' result. Does this mean that my character 'cannot' disable traps at all, or just the complexity of the trap is such that my character can't disable it at his current level?

adam
Adamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

It means that even with a 20 roll you skill isn't high enough to disable the trap. YOu can try using a lock picking kit to enhance your ability Or pump your dex with a potion and see if that helps.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
javan
Zhentarim Guard

The complexity of the trap is too high for your current level.

If you look at the console log you will see some numbers after the message. It looks like “ (20 + 3 = 23 vs. DC 25)”

The first number is randomly generated between 1 and 20 if you are in combat. If you are not in combat then the game engine assumes you will keep trying until you do our best and assigns the maximum; this is called a “Take 20”.

The second number is your adjusted disable traps skill. This is the number of ranks you took during level-up adjusted by your ability score modifier. Your disable traps skill is one of the few rogue skills adjusted by your intelligence rather than your dexterity. Certain items also adjust this skill (i.e. Amulet of the Master)

The third number is the sum of the first two numbers. This is compared to the last number- the Difficulty Class (DC) of the trap is a measure of how hard it is to disable. If the third number is greater than or equal to the DC then the trap is disabled, otherwise you can’t do it.

Try drinking a potion of Fox’s Cunning (to improve you intelligence), use skill enhancing item ( like the affore mentioned amulet), or wait until you level up and add ranks to your disable traps skill.

I hope this helps

[ 01-05-2006, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: javan ]
Old 01-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

In other words, your rogue sucks at traps... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You can also examine a trap (from the radial menu) before attempting to defuse it.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I assume your character is a rogue, but it is possible for other classes to take disable traps skill points, it is just you will have to pay twice the skill points. I did this with my wizard so I could solo and still disable traps. Between a few points in disable traps, the +20 modifier for examining the trap before attempting to disable it and the boosted intelligence modifier that any sensible wizard will have, I could disable most of the traps I encountered, especially if I added items like the amulet of the master, Tomi's ring of the rogue and some rogue gloves which all enhanced disable traps. The only limitation to disable traps is that only rogues can disable a trap with DC greater than 35.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
banzai
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Witchdoctor:
I assume your character is a rogue, but it is possible for other classes to take disable traps skill points, it is just you will have to pay twice the skill points. I did this with my wizard so I could solo and still disable traps. Between a few points in disable traps, the +20 modifier for examining the trap before attempting to disable it and the boosted intelligence modifier that any sensible wizard will have, I could disable most of the traps I encountered, especially if I added items like the amulet of the master, Tomi's ring of the rogue and some rogue gloves which all enhanced disable traps. The only limitation to disable traps is that only rogues can disable a trap with DC greater than 35.
Another nice way to disable traps for all classes with summoned companions is with your Pixie companion. Just choose Pixie as your type of companion and you have a really capable trap disarmer and lock picker at your side. In my experience this is especially useful for sorcerors and wizards because your companion´s abilities grow as you level-up.