Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-18-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Greetings all. I went to see the 12 afternoon showing today at 10:45(we nabbed great seats, the theatre was 3/4 full at 11!). Unfortunatley Em and I were the only ones wearing cloaks, lol. Guess I should have gone to the midnight to see others like us [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, there was tons of anticipation as well as expectations that the movie would be as good, or better, than the Fllowship. Especially after reading, then re-reading and doing a 20 page analysis on it.

I would say personally that it was not as good as the Fellowship at all. I left slightly dissapointed. Sure, I cheered and sighed with every other teenage girl when Orlando Bloom(Legolas) 1st popped onto the screen, and numerous times after. I cried twice too. But I cried 4 times in the Fellowship, lol.

Now I know they always leave things out of movies when its based on a book. But Arwen actually left to the west, and shes not supposed to do that. And at the end of book 2 Frodo and Sam are supposed to flight Shelbob...I know for length they couldn't extend the movie that far, but still...it means that Return of the King is going to be that much longer [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The battle scenes-best i've witnessed. I loved them

Now, for those of you ho have scene it, supply your opinions
Old 12-18-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I really enjoyed it despite the use of some "creative license". [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I won't give it away for the sake of those who haven't seen it yet(especially those for whom it's not even availible), but I was surprised that it ended sooner than I expected(based on the book).

I thought it was at least the equal of LotR and maybe better.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:20 PM   #3
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'm going to see it tonight (Thursday) at 8:30pm. It's 2:24pm now. Needless to say I'm counting down the hours. It's gonna be fun.
I'll fill you in on what i thought of it sometime tonight.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:22 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

I thought it was at least the equal of LotR and maybe better.
I see it on Sunday, and I'm glad you wrote this.......
Old 12-18-2002, 08:24 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
I'm going to see it tonight (Thursday) at 8:30pm. It's 2:24pm now. Needless to say I'm counting down the hours. It's gonna be fun.
I'll fill you in on what i thought of it sometime tonight.
Whatever you do.... don't order the large drink!

It's murder to avoid a "much needed" bathroom trip for 3 hours because you don't want to miss anything.

Trust me on this, ok? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Whatever you do.... don't order the large drink!

It's murder to avoid a "much needed" bathroom trip for 3 hours because you don't want to miss anything.

Trust me on this, ok? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Hahaha.
Sounds like sage advice. I'll take it to heart
Old 12-19-2002, 06:07 AM   #7
The Hierophant

Ok, I just got in from seeing it.

DAMN GOOD MOVIE!

It didn't have quite the same impact as the first as I/we were already 'used' to 'The Fellowship's' good quality as it were. Yet as an experience, this installment was grand.
It's a visual effects masterpiece! Some amazing images and spectacles in this one. The ents look great, the battle of the hornburg is suitably monumentous, the worg riders look pretty gnarly too.
But the highlight of it all is Gollum! He stole the show in every possible way. You'll just have to see how it is done to believe it! Kudos to Andy Sarkis and the CGI team!
However, the battle of Helms Deep ended much too abruptly IMHO, as did the movie itself. Bit of an anti-climax really, which is a shame. And, as has already been stated, NO SHELOB!!! Bugger! They finished up ending the Two Towers storyline quite suddenly, and they have ALOT of storyline to cram into The Return of the King. Hope this doesn't mean that they will do too much story-chopping.

All in all, an excellent movie. A real continuation of the spirit of the first one.I'll be seeng it more than once!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:23 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hmm, NZ gets to see it this ealy, but we over here in OZ get to wait another week [img]tongue.gif[/img] . On the topic of cutting the book short, that may not be such a terrible thing, because don;t forget that Return of the king is probably the shortest of the books having that thimping great set of appendices in it.

360 pages compared to TTT 440 - evening them up at 400 pages a piece leaves Frodo having not long left Faramir, and in the process of witnessing the horde setting forth from the gates of Minas Morgul (ie before the ascent of the stair at Cirith Ungol).

Damn - another whole week ........ tick, tock, tick, tock.......
Old 12-19-2002, 06:32 AM   #9
Jorath Calar
Harper

It is simply AWESOME!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:26 AM   #10
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Hmm, NZ gets to see it this ealy, but we over here in OZ get to wait another week [img]tongue.gif[/img] . On the topic of cutting the book short, that may not be such a terrible thing, because don;t forget that Return of the king is probably the shortest of the books having that thimping great set of appendices in it.

360 pages compared to TTT 440 - evening them up at 400 pages a piece leaves Frodo having not long left Faramir, and in the process of witnessing the horde setting forth from the gates of Minas Morgul (ie before the ascent of the stair at Cirith Ungol).

Damn - another whole week ........ tick, tock, tick, tock.......
SPOILERS

I don't think they filmed the Scouring of the Shire, so that removes another chunk of the 3rd book, which explains why they ended this film where they did.

I thought it was great, better flow and character development than the first film.

To the first poster, I doubt very much that Arwen went to the West, they just showed her leaving Rivendell.

Gollum stole the show.

I don't know why they had Faramir take Frodo and gang to Osgiliath, but I expect it to be explained in the 3rd film.