Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Marathon
Elminster

Hey guys - does anyone have a list of what falls under the category of mind affecting spells? I assume fear and confusion, but what else? I am hoping paralyze falls under this, but I don't think it does.

[ 05-10-2006, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Marathon ]
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Darkman

Good question. I wanted to know the answer to this as well so I made a test character (a L20 wizard) and tried casting just about every spell at an NPC wearing a belt of Immunity: Mind Effects. Here are the results:

Spells that the NPC was immune to:
Daze, Charm, Color Spray, Scare, Sleep, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Confusion, Hold Person, Fear, Feeblemind, Dominate Person, Hold Monster, Mind Fog, Dominate Monster, Power Word: Stun, Weird, as well as the paralysis effects of Grease, Web, & the Bigby's spells.

So, pretty much most of the Enchantment & Illusion spells and anything dealing with fear, daze, sleep, stun, paralyze, or direct attacks on the mind, are all countered by Immunity: Mind Effects.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That can be misleading. I don't think it will confer immunity to paralysis from a death attack for example. Grease has no paralysis, it will slow you, and causes a reflex save to falling down(slipping), but immunity to knock down will alleviate that. The same holds true for web, and on it, and grease, freedom will inhibit the movement decreases. I'm not sure, but doesn't Weird require a fort save too, I could be wrong, and am not ready to dig out the book though. Stunning fist should be able to affect you too, since it's supposed to be a fort save now.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Marathon
Elminster

Yup - stunning fist no longer is mind effecting as of patch 1.67. Freedom will give immunity to hold person (paralyze) spells as well as web and grease.

The whole mind effecting question came up for me on a low magic world where I found that suit of armor from the original NWN OC - the Broewind (something like that) Family Armor. Has immunity to mind effects, but I have to lower my AC by 1, plus switch out gauntlets of Ogre Strength for Bracers of Dex +4, which lowers my attack and discipline, and I lose the better elemental resistance from the Chromatic Breastplate. Enough creatures use combat feats (disarm, knockdown, and called shot) that this matters. But, my guys a barbarian, and low level shamans can nail him with hold person easily. Sort of a trade off with no right answer - just need to switch it up depending on situation.

Darkman - thanks for the list! Nice work.

[ 05-11-2006, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Marathon ]
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote