Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-30-2004, 10:48 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It does do both, online and not online. It has online games that you can also download and play alone. Thousands maybe, with more being added all the time. The reason is that NWN also has a third feature. You can build your own worlds with almost no real training (the more you learn the better your game can be built)...and then you can e-mail that to friends to play or make it available to play online with you. I cannot say enough about the game.

NWN is the best game out there for all kinds of people.

Edit: I see you're a Georgia resident! Hi! My mom's from Georgia. Can't remember the city right now. Welcome to our Forums!

[ 11-30-2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-30-2004, 11:13 PM   #12
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

FALLOUT1 AND FALLOUT2
Old 12-01-2004, 12:46 AM   #13
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition. This contains the original game plus the two official expansions and is available relatively inexpensively these days.

Visually it's stunning and it's possibly the ultimate nonlinear game in that one can play it for weeks without ever engaging the main quest. Replayability is also very good as one can get very varied experiences of the game each time one runs through it. Personally I've found this to be a much more enjoyable game than NWN - I gave away my copy of NWN but I've held onto Morrowind - although that is likely a minority opinion here *lol*
Old 12-01-2004, 07:11 AM   #14
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Sorry awhshopgirl, if he has Wiz8 now and loves it, he'll be disappointed with everything else! Sorry, I just don't like the combat style of most of the above mentioned games. See if he likes Pool of Radiance and if he does, I would suggest Temple of Elemantal Evil. The combat style is the same, which is great, but it is a fairly short game.
Planescape gets a lot of high marks on the forum and I think the combat is turn-based, which he'll probably prefer. But you just can't beat a game where, if you know you can kick butt, just go to the kitchan and get a snack and when you get back the baddies are dead... Love Wizardry 8!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:24 AM   #15
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Get the BG series (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal) if you like quests and fighting.
If you like LOTS of fighting with not-so-many quests get the IWD series.
If you like no fighting, good character development and story get Planscape: Torment.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #16
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

from what i've heard "Planscape: Torment" is amazing, i'll have to get that myself.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #17
Lucern
Quintesson

In case anyone's confused by Xen's post, Planescape Torment has plenty of fighting...

just not compared to the step, step, fight, step step, fight pattern taken by almost every other Dungeons and Dragons game, especially BG series, IWD (apparently), and ToEE. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Planescape plays more like Fallout than BG2. Not that I don't like BG2, but the more something feels like Fallout the better!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #18
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

As most have suggested the Baldur's Gate series is your best bet but I would also echo Blind_Prophet and suggest Fallout and Fallout 2.

I picked up Fallout 1 and 2 plus Fallout Tactics for about £12, a real bargin I'd say!

[ 12-01-2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Zarr ]
Old 12-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #19
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Get the BG series (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal) if you like quests and fighting.
Shame she already mentioned her brother has the baldur's gate series...

Well I would also recommend Morrowind, it truly is stunning and offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. Also PS:T is good (as others have already mentioned) you can find a copy on ebay. The IWD series is also much underated, and is very good! Very enjoyable. NWN is quite good, but really it is better online, not bad offline though.

My advice, if you want to keep him busy for a while and make sure you don't have to buy him another present [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] then get ES3:Morrowind. Sorted [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 04:10 PM   #20
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyril Darkcloud:
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition. This contains the original game plus the two official expansions and is available relatively inexpensively these days.

Visually it's stunning and it's possibly the ultimate nonlinear game in that one can play it for weeks without ever engaging the main quest. Replayability is also very good as one can get very varied experiences of the game each time one runs through it. Personally I've found this to be a much more enjoyable game than NWN - I gave away my copy of NWN but I've held onto Morrowind - although that is likely a minority opinion here *lol*
I'm going to have to try and dissuade you from Morrowind. It's true that it's visually stunning. It's true that its non linear. And It's true that it's re-playability is excellent. Kinda.

But in my opinion, the combat system is awful. Absolutley dreadful. Crap n' Pap.

Get the BG series or NWN. Both are good.