Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-15-2003, 04:59 PM   #11
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
all sunglasses (no matter how much they cost) protect against UV rays.
No they don't. Some cheaper ones don't - you can tell here at least because the ones that do have a little UV sticker on them, and not all do [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 06:03 PM   #12
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
all sunglasses (no matter how much they cost) protect against UV rays.
No they don't. Some cheaper ones don't - you can tell here at least because the ones that do have a little UV sticker on them, and not all do [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]And the same goes for more expensive ones as well. If you buy a pair of expensive brand glasses, you probably pay about 60% for the brand alone. What you want is:
1) 100% protection from UV. (about 370-400 nm I think)
2) The brighter the light the darker shade og glasses you need. Dark glasses while sailing for instance.
3) The glasses should filter the same amount of red, blue, yellow and green light. If you are going to use them in nright light (like at sea, choose a pair that filters out blue colors more than the rest.
4) The glasses should be smooth. No dents or scratches! The glass should also have the same thickness in the entire sun glasses (especially if you will use them while driving).
Old 06-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Ray-Ban...

I've had these shades for over three years, and they rock!

[ 06-15-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #14
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
It depends what style you buy. If you buy those oval wraparounds then it's a good buy, they're still 'in' and people were buying them 5 years ago - and obviously if you're going for oakleys, you care about what's 'in'. I wouldn't buy a really extreme trendy shape that will look dated next year since they really are expensive. Same goes for other expensive brands. If you're going to spend that much then you want something that you can wear for a reasonable length of time.

I would think that generally, the more expensive they are, the better quality they are, but that doesn't mean that cheaper ones aren't of a reasonable quality, or that if you sit on your oakleys they won't break. So quality may not be the most important indicator.

Also I suppose it's a good idea to try to go for glasses that have UV protection since if you're wearing things to shade your eyes you may as well protect yourself from cataracts and so on. I think the more expensive brands are more likely to have this feature.

However having said that, I don't personally buy expensive sunglasses because I simply don't have the money to spend on that sort of luxury - and you can get perfectly good sunglasses that are trendy and useful for $10 - I have two pairs at the moment, one blue tint, one purple. Actually I'm just getting into sunnies this year because I got contacts in January so I can wear them and actually see where I'm going now!

Oh! Make sure you try them on and they feel comfortable on your head - otherwise when you go inside you'll have to hold them or stick them in a bag or something - very inconvenient
Bloody hell, he didn't ask for a dissertation [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #15
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

You get what you pay for! You only have one set of eyes - why make them look through some grainy, blury, distorted crap that isn't protecting them from the sun. It is too easy to get the good ones!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 AM   #16
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

sometimes i wonder why people buy sunglasses that cost as expensive as a computer.. hmmm...

personally, as long as it works and UV.. im happy

Catch me if you can..
Old 06-16-2003, 05:53 AM   #17
lasher
Dungeon Master

Color is important. For example, IIRC green is better for shortsighted.

The better thing to do would be to ask an optician.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:42 AM   #18
Epona
Zartan

I love sunglasses!

I have 4 pairs, 3 of them look similar, and the other pair have thicker frames. My best ones are small rectangular lenses and dark grey/silver thin metal frame. They aren't designer ones, but are well made and offer UV protection - cost me about Ł40 I think.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:48 AM   #19
Sigmar
Unicorn

If you don't wear sunglasses over here you're destined to a life of squinting, I've found that it's pays to buy an expensive brand name 'cause the cheaper ones break easier and need to replace more often. Plus the expensive ones look cool
Old 06-16-2003, 12:30 PM   #20
Charean
Hathor

Talk to an optomatrist. Lenses make a big difference and cheap ones will actually blur your vision. UV protection is important as well. But there are other new innovations that you may want to take advantage of.

Protect your eyes, they are the only ones you have!!!!