Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2001, 08:28 AM   #1
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

How many of you believe that your soul passes on to the other side and you have the option of being reborn again (into a different body of course)? What do you believe happens after you die?

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 08:53 AM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

I am an atheist, so I don't much believe in any kind of after-life - I DO believe though that as long as you are remembered, a part of you still lives. We wouldn't be what we are, live how we do, without the efforts and struggles and genius and love of countless generations. That's my credo.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 09:13 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Wormfood.
You ae a piece of an ecological circle.
The thing Moiraine mentioned about remembered is as far as my thoughts goes as to a life after death..

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 09:19 AM   #4
Bleys
Dungeon Master

I will tell you when I find out.
Bleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 12:11 PM   #5
Aurican
Elminster

I would find it hard to live in a world that I simply cease to exist in after I die. I think their has to be a heaven and hell because without them what is the point of living?

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 01:27 PM   #6
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I can't believe I started this thread and then didn't give you all my own point of view. I do believe that our souls have lived many many lives and the one we are in now is just another. I am a big fan of Sylvia Brown. Anyone else out there a fan?

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 01:38 PM   #7
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I was deeply religious for around 25 yrs, and rather inclined to religion before that. Now I'm not.

1)The idea of a soul apart from the body makes no sort of sense. Soul/body is one and the same. Even the bible says 'All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power for there is no work, nor devising, nor knowledge, nor wisdom in Sheol, the place to which you are going' Ecclesiastes 9:10. And the writer was addressing believers! (Sheol, by the way is not a word for 'hell' but death & the grave, so far as I have been able to discover. Correct me if wrong ).

2)Where did all the disembodied souls come from? 'Heaven'? According to the bible, only god and the angels - who are supposed to be perfect - reside in heaven. Why would a god punish perfect, good beings by sending them to inhabit the bodies of far from perfect humans? Or animal? or insects? or microbes? and in those forms suffer all sorts of pains and, in some cases, appalling horrors? I mean, what FOR? What's an already perfect being got to learn? Hell, you don't HAVE to cut off your right hand to appreciate your left!

I believe that when you die you are dead. That is what the word 'dead' means: lifeless.
Since that is what I believe, it behoves me to live my life in such a way that do no harm, and try my best to do good. It behoves me to try and make this planet a better place to live for future generations.
It means I can't say 'it doesn't matter what the world is like, it is only a testing ground and we are all going to finish up in heaven'. THAT IS A BELIEF THAT GUARANTEES WE WILL NEVER REALLY CARE ABOUT THIS PLANET!! IT SAYS THIS PLACE DOESN'T MATTER!
But listen: if, as all you believers believe, God created this planet FOR US, and left it in OUR CARE, why do you think looking after it and looking out for each other - regardless of religious creed - doesn't matter!? 'Cos that is what it means to believe in an immortal soul that leaves this place and goes to heaven! Think about it!
Sorry. I get a bit passionate about religion. No offence intended to believers of any religion I just hate religion. I don't hate people who believe. Just RELIGION. It causes, or is the excuse for, so much division and hatred. I wish it didn't exist I think the world would be a much happier place without it. And without racial prejudice. Or any prejudice. (ok! OK! I know I just expressed a prejudice, lol )

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 03:40 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Although I normally wouldn't proclaim my beliefs in a public forum, yes, I do believe in life after death. I also believe that there is no way we can possibly learn all we need to in one lifetime, so yes, that we come back in to learn more. After a time when we've mastered what we need to know, we move off to a higher level of existence.

Granted, this is just my belief, and I may be wrong...but it rings a lot truer than a finite "heaven or hell" scenario that, to my mind, is all but too often arbitrarily applied. (Read Dante's Inferno for more on that, or better yet, Harlan Ellison's "Hitler Painted Roses.")

Regardless of what happens afterward, I definitely believe in an afterlife. What I saw and experienced last year in the hospital confirmed that for me resoundingly.

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 04:19 PM   #9
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Hey, no insults about heaven (NO OFFENCE I RESPECT YOUR BELIEFS!). Here speaks a Catholic Christian, belive in God, Jesus, Holy Spirit and Heaven. Not hell though. Please respecy my beliefs. Bless you......

------------------

Visit Now
or Starstryke will Stryke U!
DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 04:46 PM   #10
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

When I'm gone,I'm gone...roll end credits......fade to black.

Unless the Divine Director wants to make a sequel

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote