Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #21
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
This is the year for me to decide on the path I will take that will effect the rest of my life, and my family's. I have two choices in my career, and I cannot make up my mind.

* I have been working on attending college to get certified to teach Spanish at the high school level, and have a major in psycology.

* I have been invited to join the help desk crew when a position opens, learning how to build a PC from the beginning, install the OS, and resolve any trouble that comes along with people's machines.

I cannot decide which one I should do.
I know I'll probably get a ton of argument, but go for the PC opportunity.
My reason is simple, knowing the rudimentaries of fixing these will take you alot farther in life IMO. Ever thought of owning a business? This IMO, would be step one in building that path. The argument will likely be "well Elric everyone and their brother are already in that business". My answer, "of course they are! But only the good ones stay around". [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
I suppose it all comes down to what your long term plans are Larry. Neither in of themselves should be your end all IMO, rather, just the first step in that direction. Good Luck with your decision!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #22
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Owning my own business? Why can I not do my own teaching club, then? You see...my wife is brilliant in mathematics...and I am stongest in literature...so we were planning on home schooling. Well...we know alot of people that want their children home-schooled, but do not have the time nor ability to do so. What if they paid me and Karen? Just an idea. I have no idea if this is against the law. I just know that it would be easier to have home-schooling work correctly, if I was actually certified to teach.

By the way...it seems that it is rather easy to become certified. I can do it in three years, plus have a strong base in another major, like psycology.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #23
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Owning my own business? Why can I not do my own teaching club, then? You see...my wife is brilliant in mathematics...and I am stongest in literature...so we were planning on home schooling. Well...we know alot of people that want their children home-schooled, but do not have the time nor ability to do so. What if they paid me and Karen? Just an idea. I have no idea if this is against the law. I just know that it would be easier to have home-schooling work correctly, if I was actually certified to teach.
*NOW* your thinking brother! [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] Your ideas along these lines will go fathoms further than considering more schooling to "go to work for someone else". In fact, this may be one helluva opportunity for you bro! My advice to you, is dont limit yourself to thinking about your career as a means to earn a paycheck, and you will be suprised where that mentality can take you financially! Your idea above is a FANTASTIC one, especially considering some of the legislation under debate as we speak in DC.

Quote:
By the way...it seems that it is rather easy to become certified. I can do it in three years, plus have a strong base in another major, like psycology.
Sounds like the beginnings of a good game plan brother! [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #24
Animal
Gold Dragon

To be completely honest with you, building a PC isn't very hard at all. If you can figure out how to play with Lego, you can build a PC. Teaching Spanish on the other hand, is something that requires some learning.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:00 AM   #25
Epona
Zartan

Larry, that sounds like an excellent idea.
I know my friends who are teachers prefer doing home tuition as opposed to classroom teaching, you only have to deal with one or two kids at a time, and there's more money in it.
But if your laws are anything like ours, you would need to be certified first.