Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 04:32 AM   #1
mad=dog

I am contemplating this setup as tank/hitter. UAI from thief negates the armor restrictions at higher levels. Moreover imp haste + timestop + kai + assasinate seems like a tremendous amount of damage. The Kensai can dual rather late and still reach near max level for thief. Thinking level 12 or 15. Could make a formidable team with Aerie and Edwin methinks.
Has anyone had any experience with this setup? I could be missing something vital and I am not sure how viable it is in the long gap between low level thief and full blossom killer machine.

EDIT: Typo

[ 04-14-2005, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: mad=dog ]
Old 04-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

I thought Kensai/Thief (or any kensai combination, really) was a powerful combination to begin with.

To put it simply: I think any class is potentially a "full blossom killer machine" if you know how to diminish the disadvantages to a bare minimum and make full use of all advantages (and possibly exploit the game a little bit as well).

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
The Hairy Caveman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My favorite character I ever ran through the game was an evil kensai->thief. He had grandmastery in dual-wielding and katanas. I switched him over to thief at lvl 21 (3,250,000 exp). It took a long time to get the 2,640,000 exp for lvl 22 thief but once I did....good lord. Easily the most destructive single attack character I can imagine. Some would argue an assasin->fighter is better but the bonus to ac and hit/damage still apply when you're just going toe to toe; making much shorter work of annoying things like mind flayers and mages that you want to take out quickly. However, this character was in a 4 (later 5) person party that did virtually everything to get exp so you'll want to dual earlier to avoid playing in TOB as a straight thief with no armor (it sucks). You should dual-class after level 13 so you get the exrta 1/2 APR, but if you want to wait till lvl 15 you should be allright too. Also, unless you have tactics or the item upgrade mod, place your proficencies in something like long sword or staff that you can backstab with and find copies of higher enchantments. Remember, celestial fury is an incredible weapon, and you can do a 250+ backstab with ease, but if the weapon can't hurt something all you've done is stepped out of the shadows and pissed of something thats likely stronger than you are. I think you'll also be very pleased with the thiefs HLA's which are among the best in the game. However, Kai lasts 7 seconds and assasination lasts 1 round so you won't be able to use both at once,(man did that disappoint me)but if you time-trap and assasinate nothing should survive anyways. [img]smile.gif[/img] As far as playing after the dual but before the reactivation I would highly recomend the Firetooth throwing dagger. I used that, and a normal dagger if something got too close or I wanted to backstab. Also, you can get the single weapon class while thief to help with the no armor/AC problem but you should be in the back row anyways. Good luck with your character and keep us informed on how things turn out.

[ 04-14-2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: The Hairy Caveman ]
\"The teaching is \'Ai Uchi\', meaning to cut your opponent just as he cuts you. This is the ultimate timing...it is lack of anger. It means to treat your enemy as an honoured guest. It also means to abandon your life or throw away fear.\" - Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings
The Hairy Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:46 AM   #4
mad=dog

... and with these reassuring words I threw myself at it. Ganged up with Aerie and Yoshimo initially and started the usual affairs in Athkalta. This is my first time with a kensai so you'll have to pardon me. I simply didn't expect that amount of damage. Wow. I claimed the rings of Gaxx (cheese, but need them more than ever), the staff of cheese and other such trinkets with relative ease. As I emerged from Firkraags smoking den I had just enough for the set goal of level 17. This will allow me to reach level 36 as thief. Good thing is that the XP bonus from completing Firkraag and a handful easy quests left open send me to level 8 without ever having to fight. Out goes Yoshi and in comes Minsc. Now as good as I will become when I scrape up the XP to reactivate the Kensai I am a literal sitting duck atm. I have all the restrictions of a Kensai and none of the benefits. I am level 12 however and ready to go to Brynnlaw. Watchers Keep does not seem like an option. Minsc will be booted out in favour of Edwin when I set sails. It'll simply have to make do.

I have discovered some bugs though. The darts +5 from the cloak of stars are not restricted from kensais. Might be deliberate, but I think it's an oversight. Could be abused, but I don't plan to do so. Also being under influence of prot vs. undead seems to break some scripts in Bodhis lair and in Umar Temple.

And then one of these little things that makes you smile. I failed a shoplift at the black market in the thieves guild and she yelled "Thief!". Well, duh, "where?". Hardly going to get any reaction at that particular location.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:51 AM   #5
The Hairy Caveman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Lol, never been a fan of pickpocketing, it's usually the very last skill I bump up. What weapons are you using? I'm telling you man, firetooth is the only way to stay safe and deal decent damage. You're not planning to use the Staff of Magi after you get UAI are you?!
\"The teaching is \'Ai Uchi\', meaning to cut your opponent just as he cuts you. This is the ultimate timing...it is lack of anger. It means to treat your enemy as an honoured guest. It also means to abandon your life or throw away fear.\" - Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings
The Hairy Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
mad=dog

I picked up Belm +2 in the grove and was using that with Pixie Prick +3 while clearing the unfinished buisness in Athkatla (Mae'Var and the Sphere). Not completely bad, but not good either. Replaced the prick with Staff Mace +2 in Brynnlaw and I should have done that before.
Firetooth is in Ust Natha IIRC. I'll surely pick it up when we get there. There's still plenty of charges in the Wand of Monster Summon so no biggie.
Edwin is currently wielding the omnipotent staff of cheese to keep him out of harms way. I don't think I'll be using it myself. Somehow it seems appropiate that he's using it.
Pickpocketing/shoplifting is a good and free way to recharge wands. Sell them to the blackmarket shop and steal them back. Viola. Another 50 charges. Know this from my blade solos where this is a must.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

imho wands are pointless anyway. I'm with the caveman, its the last skill i bumb up, apart from detect illusion.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote