Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-10-2001, 07:31 PM   #1
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

First off – I originally wrote this some time ago, but with all that's been going on I thought I would dust it off, edit it a bit and repost as it encapsulates the way I feel at present. It is not aimed at any individual poster, but is purely my opinion, so please don’t take this personally.

Recently, it seems to me that some of us have become overly agitated about posting rules, slights (real or imagined) and other trivia. I would admit to having felt that that way myself. We have seen arguments and flaming where there used to be discussions and people announcing their intention to leave the board etc. There is a marvellously descriptive phrase “Throwing the toys out of the pram” which is used to describe childishly unreasonable behaviour. At times recently, Ironworks has resembled the aftermath of an explosion in Toys’R’Us………

IMHO the bottom line is this :-

This is the Ironworks Forum. It is owned and run by Ziroc. He sets the rules and interprets them as he sees fit. What it is not is a democracy. Ziroc and the Mods will make the judgement calls and if asked, they will explain them. Sometimes they will make mistakes – after all they are human. Before shouting the odds at a decision you don’t agree with consider the fact that none of them is paid for what they do and the flack (or praise) that comes with it. As far as I can see, they do it for our benefit and because they care for this community. If anyone does not like the way things are done here the solution is simple – stop visiting and posting.

If anyone feels threatened, insulted, or finds the atmosphere here unpleasant, remember that this site is a very small corner of cyberspace and there is a whole big wide world called reality out there just waiting to be explored.

Yes, we may state our opinions and discuss our differences, and it’s a given that on a board with a diverse membership, disagreements will occur both on the subjects of threads and on individual postings. It’s how we as individuals handle them that is important.

I would hope that if I posted something that another member considered inappropriate in tone or content, they would reply via the board or by e-mail with their concerns. If I did not alter my behaviour, then I would expect them to alert a moderator and abide by that moderator’s decision. I believe that such a course of action shows respect to fellow members and allows us all to use this board in a mature and sensible manner.

Personally, I have seen some people leave here recently whose absence I genuinely feel will leave our community diminished. I will miss them and wish they were still here. However, if they were not longer enjoying their time on the boards then I believe they have made the right decision.

I like this place and it has given me a lot of pleasure during the time I have been a member. But it is NOT the most important thing in my life, and if I ever feel threatened/abused/unwelcome then I will know it’s time to go as well.

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 08:05 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:

IMHO the bottom line is this :-

This is the Ironworks Forum. It is owned and run by Ziroc. He sets the rules and interprets them as he sees fit. What it is not is a democracy. Ziroc and the Mods will make the judgement calls and if asked, they will explain them. Sometimes they will make mistakes – after all they are human. Before shouting the odds at a decision you don’t agree with consider the fact that none of them is paid for what they do and the flack (or praise) that comes with it. As far as I can see, they do it for our benefit and because they care for this community. If anyone does not like the way things are done here the solution is simple – stop visiting and posting.

I have to agree with that one Mouse. I feel like this is kind of like moving to a foreign land. Things may not be the same "rule wise" as the place you came from. If you cannot conform to the wishes of the "King", put your signs down and stop protesting, as this land is a GIFT, a FREE gift might I add. And the King works very hard to provide this place for us. Respect the King and his laws, or find another land to live in that suits you better. Personally, I love this Land. I find the laws amenable and extremely tolerant and fair.

Basically, it really bothers me when I read an offensively worded complaint to our King (Ziroc). I think to myself, umm, hey, this isn't a frikken government, this is not a real "land" its a frikken website. Some guy (Ziroc) sat one day and thought up all this, and made it so, and made this forum for us out of the goodness of his heart, cause he doesn't get paid hardly squat for all his efforts, and I think that has to be taken into consideration. Even if Ziroc made a rule that I did not particularly like, I would still respect it, as again, this is HIS WEBSITE!!!!! Another example is being a guest at a person's house. Is it right for one to sit there and gripe that maybe somebody was served an extra bologna roll-up than you were. Do you say, Hey! This is not fair, I did not get a fair amount of bologna roll ups!!. And I actually don't care because I hate beef bologna! Why are you serving beef bologna anyways? Is a pathetic choice, I much prefer....," etc.

Does that make any sense?

------------------

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 09:33 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I have to agree with that one Mouse. I feel like this is kind of like moving to a foreign land. Things may not be the same "rule wise" as the place you came from. If you cannot conform to the wishes of the "King", put your signs down and stop protesting, as this land is a GIFT, a FREE gift might I add. And the King works very hard to provide this place for us. Respect the King and his laws, or find another land to live in that suits you better. Personally, I love this Land. I find the laws amenable and extremely tolerant and fair.

Basically, it really bothers me when I read an offensively worded complaint to our King (Ziroc). I think to myself, umm, hey, this isn't a frikken government, this is not a real "land" its a frikken website. Some guy (Ziroc) sat one day and thought up all this, and made it so, and made this forum for us out of the goodness of his heart, cause he doesn't get paid hardly squat for all his efforts, and I think that has to be taken into consideration. Even if Ziroc made a rule that I did not particularly like, I would still respect it, as again, this is HIS WEBSITE!!!!! Another example is being a guest at a person's house. Is it right for one to sit there and gripe that maybe somebody was served an extra bologna roll-up than you were. Do you say, Hey! This is not fair, I did not get a fair amount of bologna roll ups!!. And I actually don't care because I hate beef bologna! Why are you serving beef bologna anyways? Is a pathetic choice, I much prefer....," etc.

Does that make any sense?

It makes a load of sense, LadyZekke, and thank you for saying it. There is a Persian proverb that says, in so many words, "You may pee wherever you want to in your own house, but enter another man's dwelling and do not even spit on the floor." I've been seeing a lot of "peeing" going on around here lately.

Mouse, you are right on target. Well said! I pray the dark day will never come when you feel it necessary to leave IW, as you are a voice of sanity and reason. Thank you and bless you.

------------------
Old 10-10-2001, 09:37 PM   #4
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Well said Mouse. I couldn't agree more. Though I am still relatively new here
I have had some very good experiances. I hope they continue.
There are alot of good folks here and I think we all have to remember that everyone see's things differently. Tolerance and common curtesy go along way.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:07 PM   #5
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

mouse, have you copyrighted this particular piece of work? i think i might need it to explain to the fools at my b.net clan WHO is boss and WHO sets the rules... is it ok if i decide to use it and just switch the names?

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-11-2001, 05:02 AM   #6
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
mouse, have you copyrighted this particular piece of work? i think i might need it to explain to the fools at my b.net clan WHO is boss and WHO sets the rules... is it ok if i decide to use it and just switch the names?

Go ahead - if it makes sense to your mates and helps you out fine. Just try to be a benevolent dictator - there is less chance of your subjects rebelling........

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old 10-11-2001, 07:31 AM   #7
Conan

Mouse, very well thought points you have made here. Taken to heart by many I hope. By me thats for sure. I think that I want to race you now..first one to that door over there wins! GO!

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 10-11-2001).]

Old 10-11-2001, 07:18 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well, from watching both sigs on the screen, it appears Conan is the one ahead LOL

BUT NOT AS FAST AS ME!!

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 10-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old 10-11-2001, 08:01 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Throwing in my little piece, I have never seen Ziroc or any Moderator make any mistake, ever.
To me, they are super-human!
Admittenly, once, I challenged one Moderator's decision, before I had understood the entire meaning behind the action.
I was the one in the wrong for making the challenge.

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF and Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.