Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 09-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I am trying to construct a cheesy oriental martial arts theme custom party with all the klichés we have grown so fond of here in the western world.

I am also trying to make it at least somewhat well-balanced and fun.

I already know that I want at least one pureclassed kensai, one monk and one assassin (t3h Ninja), but I am not too sure about the rest. I thought about a bit about a stalker (more Ninja). Perhaps also a classical Samurai (who refuses to wear plate mails).

I know I want at least one person who uses staves seriously, in melee. And I also want someone with katanas. What about clerical and wizardly ability? I thought about a gnomish cleric/illusionist wiseman (with the mage avatar) and a sorcerer.

Yeah, and I also want some darts and throwing knives in the mix.

[ 09-10-2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Indemaijinj ]
Old 09-10-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Sounds like you've got the gist of the party already.

Nice party theme
Old 09-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I think that the Assassin should lay back and throw Throwing Daggers and occasionally backstab (Assassinate the enemy). Poison them before any battle beforehand. They're the closest to throwing knives in the game... [img]smile.gif[/img] Max out Dex (they're supposed to be agile), and give him the Boots of Speed (they're supposed to be really fast).
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

And what about Wakizashi's and Ninja-To's?
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:26 PM   #5
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Okie, besides all the kitsch there is also a tactical theme over this party. After a long while playing BG1 being slowly driven mad by the narrow claustrophobic tunnels, the retarded pathfinding and the sluggishness of my movement I want to really feel the increased mobility that the BG2 environment offers me.

Therefore I want to make a party that depends neither on a vaguely humanoid wall of iron nor a band of walking tactical nukes. I want a party that depends on stealth and "moves".

My initial plan looks as this:

Retardo San:
Pureclass ("pure class") kensai. Mastery in staves. Maybe also dual wield and clubs later. Following ascetic principles he has honed his skills with the simplest weaponry and equipment. A "Hit and Run" character I guess he actually can benefit from Staff of the Ram's knockback power. Will be the second character to recieve a pair of Boots of Speed.

Bluce Lee Bluce Lah:
Monk. 'Nuff said. Pure Kung Fu style when he gets down and dirty, but he will also attack enemies afar using some kind of concealed weapons (throwing knives and darts). Even though the martial arts theme I refuse to take more than one monk since they tend to become carbon copies.

Hönse San (with a Swedish ö):
Stalker. Part ninja, part samurai. Takes the best from both worlds and combines it with a serene spirit. Disdaining inferior weaponry he will only fight with the katana and it's traditional sidearm, the wakasashi (two katanas?? gimme a break will ya). He has also practiced archery as part of his path of enlightenment.

Kumi San:
Assassin. This is our beloved ninja. Unescapable unseen death clad in black and skills beyond the fathom of the unenlightened mind. Will be using darts (shurikens) for ranged attack and the most exquisite blades for his surgical strikes. A ninja doesen't fight protracted meelee battles. He moves in, does the kill and quickly zips back to return to his meditations. Therefore he will be the first one to recieve a pair of Boots of Speed.

Karafaran:
Blade. Obviously a foreigner he has worked his way into the hallowed halls of the Panda isolated Dojo through his blinding skills with blades that looks more like a joyful dance than combat, but nevertheless leaves the enemies dead in a way that can only be described as art (this guy is more into Indian martial arts). Has a preference for scimitars and will use Mislead since that spell is seriously "ninja".

Tue Sensei (very occasionally also affectionately known as "Tue Chan"):
Gnomish cleric/thief (uses dwarf mage paperdoll for the proper chinese/japanese wiseman look). The everpresent enlightened spiritual head of the Karate Clan. The clan will come to him for respite and encouragement. Though old his ninja skills has by no way suffered. Being truly enlightened age is merely a new facet in his ever-evolving "flow". He will be the lock opener and trap disarmer.

This seems like a fun and well balanced tank-less melee party. Extra points to those who can figure out the band reference.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #6
landsknecht
Elite Waterdeep Guard

With a Swedish "Ö"...??? How about a Swedish Å and Ä as well...

Kul tema på partyt!
Old 09-11-2003, 04:55 AM   #7
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Regarding spells I chose only those that could be explained from a martial arts framework.

Things like Haste, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Blur etc. could be explained as different "stances" and "moves". Summons and "flashy" spells are out though.

I will have some healing for the cleric since he is a master of ancient chinese herbology (or something equally overrated).

I will probably also include some spell protection removers.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:12 AM   #8
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Regarding spells I chose only those that could be explained from a martial arts framework.

Summons and "flashy" spells are out though.
yep - but i reckon your wise old dude could summon demons though
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote