Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-23-2001, 03:19 PM   #21
Rikard

I've grown up in a famaily where the TV was usually on when anyone is home
And i saw more tv thenm parents (both were working really hard and i accepted the fact they did just be sure to show enough love for you kid as imho opinion and that's AS important as spending time with them)
And now I'm sitting behind the Computer while watching Feyenoord - Bayern
But basicly that fact i watch TV only help me readin and with engl;ish but that is just dutch television where they love subtitles
If you want your kids to read make it fun to read
lket him chose the subject
don't force him
Because dispice the fact it's my third language the most books i buy lately are English because they are just more fun (somehow Except Feist not must fantasy gets translated )

------------------

Old 10-23-2001, 03:57 PM   #22
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerise:
Hmm my daughter is 4 and not readying properly yet.. but she is learning and has always been facinated by books knowing many by rote. At her request I got her a leap pad which is a kind computerised reading aid .. you point a pencil shaped thing (technical term there I think) at the book and it reads it to you, so if you get stuck on a word it helps. Or it can read the whole book to you, but you have to turn pages etc.

We read together a lot, but this toy really excites her...

4-5 yrs. old isn't a problem. 8-9 years old is a problem.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-23-2001, 04:11 PM   #23
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Cerise,

Where did you get it? More importantly what is it exactly?
Namebrand, etc..Thanks.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:12 PM   #24
Garnet

Sir Kenyth

I'm going to presume that, by your admission that by the time you were his age, you were reading at high school level, your son is beyond 'easy reader' books.

I'm a homeschooling mom presently of a 14-and a 12-yr old. Our almost 19 yr old was also home taught and now lives in CA state doing rather well for himself. (One other is in public school) The oldest was *not* particularly fond of reading until he discovered the world of nanotechnology (while *I* *still* can't figure out how or what it is!). Then he sort of blossomed--and is now developing a computer game with a couple testers (for one of the big companies). *How* he made the transition, I still haven't a clue. But he did and is now an avid reader--of computer-related (*BORING*) books.

The 14 yr old is like dear ol'mom--got his nose in a book likely as not. He just discovered Jordan and is devouring the WOT series. Like me, he is a varied and very fast reader and always has been.

The 12 yr old--you couldn't pay her to read most of the time! I used to defend myself and her reading abilities to my sister (a public school teacher) and my mother (a snotty, know-all, do-gooder bitch) because she would absolutely refuse to read aloud anything they asked of her. But at home, if something caught her eye--like an article in Nat'l Geo--she'd very competently read the thing out loud for everyone without prompting!!! And she's done this for three years or so. There *was* a problem early on. She kept saying she 'couldn't' read and I took this to mean she didn't think she had the capability. Then I took her to the eye doctor for a screening and found she was far-sighted--thus she couldn't *see* to read well.

In my long winded way, I guess I'm trying to say that if you can find the trigger, your son will not only read, but actually *want* to read! For my oldest, it was itty bitty technology and how it applies to the future. For my daughter, it's usually sports or Pokemon related (sometimes x-files type stuff). Give her Pokemon and she'll read happily for hours! Give her much else, and it's like pulling teeth ("this is stupid!" "I don't want to read this!" ::huge snort, rolls eyes:: as only a preteen girl can, etc.)

Puzzle books are great. So are computer games which have spelling type puzzles. As for books, depending on his age, the 'choose your own adventure' ones can be fun as they allow for variety and a certain control over the story not available in the typical static story. Or have him write his own short-shorts--and illustrate them. If they're ultra short (in the beginning), his attention span won't be shot and if he illustrates the story, it'll help him focus and concentrate better while being a bit of creative fun. Put them together in a 'book' of his very own when you have a certain pre-agreed upon number--and give them as presents to grandparents, etc. (computer printers with their fancy fonts--if he types, he's learning typing *and* spelling!--are wonderful inventions!!!) Learning isn't meant to be boring or at the expense of fun!

Beware the 'he should be reading at xxx level at this age' crap the public school preaches. They cater to the 'average' child, a creature who simply does not exist. All children are exceptional, yet in different ways. Our job and *theirs* (the school's) is to find what particular gift(s) a child has and expand it to create a well-rounded and -developed individual!

As for tv, use it as a teaching medium. I realize you have little or no control over what is watched at your ex's house, but if you discuss your concerns with her, surely you can come to an agreement which will sit well with both of you.

Hope this helps a bit. If you'd like, e-mail me offlist (addy in profile).

Garnet

Old 10-23-2001, 06:14 PM   #25
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Garnet:
Sir Kenyth

I'm going to presume that, by your admission that by the time you were his age, you were reading at high school level, your son is beyond 'easy reader' books.

I sure don't expect him to be reading at the level I was. I was a gifted reader. Spelling and vocabulary were also strong points. On the other hand, this was balanced out by poor to mediocre performance in math. Grant is performing to standards in math. I did expect him to be able to read competently by this point in time. I catch him constantly asking me or other relatives what something says, without even trying to read it himself. I always answer with,"well, you've got eyes to read it with too. Don't you buddy?" and I make him read it. At this point in time, I think he dislikes reading and writing because he knows he is so far behind and it shames him. Avoiding it won't make him better at it though. I'll start off with reading comprehension and a verbal report of what he read and some word circle puzzles. After a little while I'll make him write his report in a few sentences.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-23-2001, 06:27 PM   #26
Garnet

I sure don't expect him to be reading at the level I was. I was a gifted reader. Spelling and vocabulary were also strong points. On the other hand, this was balanced out by poor to mediocre performance in math. Grant is performing to standards in math. I did expect him to be able to read competently by this point in time. I catch him constantly asking me or other relatives what something says, without even trying to read it himself. I always answer with,"well, you've got eyes to read it with too. Don't you buddy?" and I make him read it. At this point in time, I think he dislikes reading and writing because he knows he is so far behind and it shames him. Avoiding it won't make him better at it though. I'll start off with reading comprehension and a verbal report of what he read and some word circle puzzles. After a little while I'll make him write his report in a few sentences.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I was the same way too---lingual skills were leaps beyond everyone else and math--well, math sucks (interestingly enough, my son who reads avidly has the same 'difficulty'. I think it has to do with the thinking processes. Mathematics tend to be more abstract while reading is more concrete, skills-wise. Altho everyday arithmetic is a different story--practical and easy.)

Sounds like you've got a plan, though. All the best of energies sent your way on this one!

Garnet