Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2000, 04:43 AM   #11
lordkymil

Man I'm getting sick of waiting for these bandits to show up. I'm currently carrying THREE clerics (Viconia because she's the best cleric around bar none, Anomen who is a dick but I want to play through his subquest, and Jaheira who is not a bad fighter-druid with the right equipment). I've been sleeping around everywhere. I even tried sleeping in my thieves' guild. It must be a totally random trigger. I even tried sleeping on the street near that ruffian outside the Seas Bounty hoping I would get mugged but all that happened was some guard came and threatened to turf me out of Athkatla. Oh well.

Old 10-31-2000, 04:52 PM   #12
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hey all, lordkymil, I'm the one who mentioned that bandit encounter, it happened to me after resting at the mound. After reading the other posts, it must be somewhat random.
To get that quest in the Harper stronghold, you first have to rescue the poisoned man from his attackers, happend to me in a travel/waylayed, scenario. Taking him to the Harpers is what gets your foot in the door. Heh, if you told Xzar where to shove it, then yeah, you missed out.
Jaheira's being called away after you inadvertantly become an accomplice in Xzar's death seems to be random as well. I have a few games running concurrently, in my Ranger game she was called away at that time. In my fighter game, that incident has come and gone and I am still waiting for her to be called away.

Addenum: Regarding Jahiera as an NPC, I know alot of people seem not to like her. I actually enjoy her character immensely, especially in BG2 since you get to see here character delvelope from her constant BG era nagging and bickering into a more sensitive and even romantic personage. It is a nice developement. I also have to agree with those who view Jaheira as an asset in the group. Heck I'm only in chapter 3, and she has nearly a hundred hp, plate +1, ring of protection, med shield +2, helm +2, and her armor class is -7. Heck she almost never gets hit by anything. She has a sling +2 with bullet +2, and hits with nearly every shot. And she also has a good range of spells.
I think some of these side quests may be based on your relationship with the woman/women if you have the overide. My third game is as an Half-Orc fighter, I wanted the strength and dexterity bonuses of 19, which I got. He started the game with 120hp, could pack 500 pounds and an unmodified thaco of 6, great for a starting character. The prob is that Half-Orc's suffer a big charisma hit (of course Black Isle doesn't say how big ,). Heh, no woman wants him, and I have noticed that since they are not chummy chummy with him, that some of these side quests have not come up.
Old 10-31-2000, 05:05 PM   #13
Larr2

Could you not use that girdle that raises your charisma to 18 ??

Old 10-31-2000, 05:26 PM   #14
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hi Larr2, Heh, actually I do have it. I got a fantastic skills roll and was able to start my Half-Orc with;
Strenth 19
Dexterity 19
Costitution 18
Charisma 17, which is now 18 with the girdle. The charisma penalty the Half-Orc suffers is aparrently in the coding and somehow not related to the charisma skill roll.
I am at the same point in chapter 3 in all 3 of my games, and I am in tight with all 3, Jaheira, Aerie and Viconia (I hate the way viconia constantly harrasses Aerie ), in my human/fighter and elf/ranger games. But in my Half-Orc/fighter game, none of them has ever initiated dialogue allowing for a romance to develope. Oh well, no distractions.
Old 11-01-2000, 12:33 AM   #15
lordkymil

That's a bit strange! That must mean that the romance threads are race-specific. Isn't that descrimination?? What if your half orc has a charisma of 17, buffed with strength and dexterity of 19, con of 18 and int and wis of say 5 each (your typical studmuffin musclehead himbo), why is he less desirable than a skinny elf with char of 13. I'd be interested to know if dwarf, halfling, gnome and half-orc characters have EVER been able to carry out the romance thread.

The.Relic on the bandit issue: it finally happened and perfect timing too. Doing the Umar Hills quest and I rested outside this cave for 16 hours then the bandits came and I did the heroic 'offer myself in her place' thing. It was funny because after I kicked the shit out of them she goes 'we'll talk later' then just after that the Harper came to pick her up then she said 'I'll be back...I-I don't want to be away from you for too long." Shades of Casablanca! Anyway it gives me a chance to pick up Mazzy who I have been slagging off in this forum in a major way.

Old 11-01-2000, 01:09 AM   #16
Reily

I have had similar frustration with Jaheira...SPOILER>>>>

...I come out of the underdark, take care of Dermin, she says she didn't want to do that, but is okay with it...I make her laugh, then...nothing. Prior to that in chap 3 she questoned my tainted blood, chap 4 the same question though this time when I got queasey after the ritual she questioned me not Imoen, chap 5 she commented after my virtuous stand with the drow but she again asked me about my tainted blood (everytime I gave the nice answer) then Chap 6 and Dermin, but my question is "now what?" I have done the side quests, I was waiting to squash Bohdi after J and I figured things out...but I am getting tired of waiting, but yet I have put a lot of time into this...women!

Old 11-01-2000, 03:56 AM   #17
Salty512

The bandit thing must be time related and also have something to do with where you're at. I'm on about day 30 but I'm only in Chapter 2 (I just got the game last Tuesday). I was working on the Haer Dalis subquest in the sewers, did that, was ready to go back to the sewers when I got sucked into the extra planar prison thing. I beat that and then decided to head to the Umar Hills before going back to the sewers to complete the Unseeing Eye quest. As soon as I got to the Umar Hills my party was fatigued so I rested and awoke to the bandit thing.

Old 11-01-2000, 04:01 AM   #18
Armisael

Hmm... in my game the bandits showed up at Umar Hills, too.

Old 11-01-2000, 04:05 AM   #19
Armisael

Also, Jaheira's romance takes the longest to get through.
Not that I'm into this stuff, love is for the weak and all that. *cough*

Old 11-01-2000, 04:10 AM   #20
Salty512

LOL... I really love all the new character interaction in this game. It makes it almost impossible for me to quit playing it.

BTW, I didn't pick up Aerea (sp?) until just recently. Before her arrival, I had a blossoming romance going with Jaheira. Then, A shows up and talks my ear off. The only thing that's happened with Jaheira since then is a little fight she and A got into earlier today.

A told her that she kept giving me "those looks"...

Can you only have one romance with one woman at a time?