Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2002, 09:02 PM   #1
LennonCook
Jack Burton

A few things...
1. Does anyone know what has happened ??

2. I am seriously thinking about moving the forum I have hosted there... does anyone know of free webhosts which support forum software, such as YaBB ??

and 3. Is there anywhere where I can download this forum software ?? I would prefer something which has the option of Announcement boards and/or sticky threads...

Thx in advance.

Edited to select the email notificiation box..

[ 03-16-2002, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 03-17-2002, 03:13 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Getting near the bottom of the page, so BUMP.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:16 AM   #3
Victor von Steiner
Silver Dragon

They just had some server problems as the 2 boards that i belong to that use this service are up and running.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:23 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well It worked on my comp just a second ago... so mayb it is working??
Old 03-17-2002, 03:40 AM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, I cant get to any xsorbit boards... havent been able to in 3 days... it ISNT my ISP... just tried the laptop.. didnt work. It gives me a This Page Cannot Be Displayed.
I am going to give them 1 week from when it started, (4 days left) and then i am DEFINATELY going to see about moving from them.

Does anyone know where I can go to set a new one up ??
And is it possible to buy things like YaBB and UBB in Aus ?? As in, either d-load them for free, or buy them from a computer store.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:33 AM   #6
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

I don't know where you can set a new one up Lennon but Xsorbit is back up and running now.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:22 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Well, can't say I didn't warn people about Xsorbit, anyone who is handy with the search function on this board should be able to bring up the doom and gloom story I had on Xsorbit back in October I think... But as I'm too lazy to look it up myself: Xsorbit simply has a bad name, period. There was a period in June (?) last year when they suddenly got really popular, suddenly entire hordes of people thought they could run a forum on their own and lure people to their board, but in the end Xsorbit ended up with thousands of boards with only a few posts and the site got slower and slower until it literally cracked.
Sounds familiar?
As what is happening now is quite similar to what happened back then... Thousands of people who would never get a serious forum running are trying to do so anyways, and as a result, the Xsorbit servers are completely clogged up again with half-failed attempts at message boards...

My advice? Leave Xsorbit at once. Maybe they are able to get over this crisis, but like I pointed out before, they've been in a similar situation before and it seems there's a good chance Xsorbit will crack again in a few months from now.
If you really want a proper forum running these days, you'll just have to pay for some webspace (like at PHPWebhosting for example, only $10 a month) or take another risk and go for one of the few free hosts that support cgi scripting, NetFirms, but like I said, it's a serious risk. I've had some bad experiences with NetFirms in the past.
And the only other free alternative I can think of right now is ezboard (*shudder*), as proboards is having similar issues as Xsorbit does, only it also deletes any posts older than a certain amount of days on top of that.
As for the YaBB software, I think you're free to download it from their official site, probably http://www.yabb.com, but I'm not completely sure about that.

[ 03-18-2002, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 03-18-2002, 09:08 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Completely agree with Grojlach, as anyone who looks up that previous thread will know. I was the other prophet of doom who said xsorbit was gong down
Old 03-18-2002, 09:39 AM   #9
Grojlach
Zartan

Found the thread in question btw. [img]smile.gif[/img]
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=005573
Old 03-19-2002, 01:44 AM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

ok, ive made up my mind. I wont leave Xsorbit yet... but will do so as soon as I can 1) Set up a new forum. and 2) Get it hosted somewhere in my local area (so that I can check if its server problems if I cant access it)I cant use a paysite, because they require credit cards... which I am not old enough to have... and so, the sooner I find somewhere, the better ... (to those people worried: Yes I will archive the threads before dumping the board, and put them in the relevant place at the new one)

EDIT: Grojilach, I dont think thats the YaBB website somehow [img]tongue.gif[/img] the japanese doesnt change my opinion

[ 03-19-2002, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]