Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Problem with Neverwinter Nights...

Hey everyone! I hope someone can help me... I bought the game Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition, and the game ran fine for a while. I played online and on the Official Game, but frequently my game would crash (either in single player and multiplayer). I downloaded some haks for gameplay and all, but when I did a scan, I found that a great deal of the game files were corrupt. I uninstalled the game, and reinstalled it. The other day I did a scan of my computer, and again, a good portion of the NWN files were, again, corrupt. The only downside to playing the game now is that it crashes some, and I have to reload my saved game and replay what I had lost. Some of the files I downloaded were CEP files, something I read about called Project Q, and a couple other files that I heard about while doing research. (btw, the people I spoke to about those files were - as far as I know - legit). Anyone's thoughts?
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Re: Problem with Neverwinter Nights...

I could try and uninstall, and reinstall the game, and go from there. Is it possible the game itself is corrupt, not the downloads? If people out there feel that certain downloads are good and beneficial for playing the Official Campaign, please let know. Lastly, if I have to uninstall and reinstall, how do I save my saved characters?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Problem with Neverwinter Nights...

I bought the Diamond edition for Noty and I about, oh, two years ago. We found that we had to install several updates but they had to be in precisely the correct order. Noty will double-check the install order and check with her Petals & Thorns contacts to see what else you might need. We never had any problems with it crashing.

As far as saving your characters, you should be able to export the characters and/or copy the save game files into a holding location then use them when your installation is fixed.

I have never heard of anything called Project Q but I do know that with installing mods you have to be extremely careful what you are getting.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Gavindale
The Magister

Do you suggest I copy my characters, uninstall, reinstall and avoid those downloads in question?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post

I have never heard of anything called Project Q but I do know that with installing mods you have to be extremely careful what you are getting.
http://www.qnwn.net/home/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavindale View Post
Do you suggest I copy my characters, uninstall, reinstall and avoid those downloads in question?
It's possible that your characters files have been corrupted as well but what the heck.

Let me see, you downloaded a bunch of files and haks and your game starts acting wonky? Well yeah I think I might avoid those downloads.

Just to make sure do what Az suggested: do an uninstall, reinstall, and then fully patch. Play the game for a while without any mods, haks or other downloads. IF it STILL corrupts then your original game files are probably bad and you should contact the publisher (HAHAHAHAHA Good luck with that!) for replacements.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Gavindale
The Magister

I guess I will just uninstall and reinstall, and make a new character. Bummer, I had a great lvl 16 fighter too.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Problem with Neverwinter Nights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Just to make sure do what Az suggested: do an uninstall, reinstall, and then fully patch. Play the game for a while without any mods, haks or other downloads. IF it STILL corrupts then your original game files are probably bad and you should contact the publisher (HAHAHAHAHA Good luck with that!) for replacements.
Just the usual Standard Operating Procedure for broken games, that's all. You can use a character editor to reconstruct your character back to 16th level easily enough, of course. I think one comes on the Diamond Edition but, again, Noty knows more about them than I do.

I concur with Micah--if your orignal files are corrupted then your best option is just eat the loss on those disks and try to buy another copy somewhere. I got mine from Fry's...or maybe it was Half Price Books; I can't recall.

I normally avoid other people's mods because I typically don't like their aesthetics or how they edit items/dialogs/spells/etc. This does serve to highlight another reason to avoid other people's mods--corrupted files, either because of their lack of expertise or perhaps even willful mischief (they wanted to break your game on purpose).

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote