Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2003, 10:09 AM   #1
Feral
Elminster

I can't figure out from the descriptions in the game whether having proficiency slots in single-wielding (if that's the right name - you know, the one which says you want to use a single weapon without a shield) helps with two-handed weapons as well (since you're obviously using a single weapon without a shield), or does the single-wielding proficiency relate only to having a one-handed weapon with no shield. Anybody know? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
TordenkalveN
Dungeon Master

I'm pretty sure single handed weapon style only works when using single one handed weapons. But while we're at it, does anyone know if two handed weapon style helps you, when using bow?
TordenkalveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:59 AM   #3
Feral
Elminster

TordenkalveN -
I didn't think it said "single handed weapon", only "single weapon" (can't check the game right now) - that's why I asked the question.
I'm curious about the answer to your question, too - been meaning to ask that myself.

Ed: I just checked Six of Spades' site, which says that the single weapon proficiency applies only to one-handed weapons. No word on the two-handed proficiency & bow issue, though.

[ 10-31-2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Feral ]
Old 10-31-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Tyrion
Quintesson

Ive heard many people saying that missle weapons dont count as two handed weapons when determining these bonuses
Old 10-31-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
Klutz
Manshoon

Missle weapons don't get any weapon style bonuses at all. Two-handed weapon style does not apply to bows & crossbows, and single weapon style does not apply to thrown weapons and slings. If you're using a thrown weapon or sling and a shield, I believe you do get the shield bonus from Sword & Shield style.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
Faceman
Hathor

Weapon style bonuses:
Two-Handed: applies to Two-Handed melee weapons (Spears, Halberds, Staffs, TwoHandedSwords,...)
Single weapon: applies to single-handed melee weapons when off-hand slot is free
Sword&Shield: applies when using a single handed weapon and a shield
Two weapon style: applies when you use two single handed weapons at once (ranged weapons aren't possible at all in that combination)
Old 10-31-2003, 04:35 PM   #7
Userunfriendly
Elminster

urm...single weapon and two handed does indeed stack together...

you get the ac bonus when you have a single two handed halberd or staff equipped...

range don't give you two handed bonus or single weapon ac bonus...

sword and shield is the single most completely useless proficiency EVER...worse than useless in fact, completely valueless...

why? really simple, if you read the description for sword and shield you find spending prof bonuses on sword and shield will increase your ac against missile attacks...and in the adventurer's mart is a shield that will REFLECT ALL missiles thrown at someone...

so in the saughin city, or anyplace where there is a large number of missile attacks thrown at your party, just have lead tank use the shield of reflection...much much better than spending prof on sword and shield...

oh yeah, a single one handed weapon and a shield and two stars on single weapon will give you the bonus ac of single weapon....
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:58 PM   #8
Faceman
Hathor

May I inquire as to which version of the game you have installed???

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
urm...single weapon and two handed does indeed stack together...

you get the ac bonus when you have a single two handed halberd or staff equipped...
[...]
oh yeah, a single one handed weapon and a shield and two stars on single weapon will give you the bonus ac of single weapon....
Single weapon style does not stack with other weapon style boni.
Try it out, put a staff and a sword in your weapon slots, change between them and watch your AC. Try using a sword and a Buckler, you will notice that your AC goes up when equipping the Buckler.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:04 PM   #9
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Light Bulb

ooopse...I was writing off memory...i think you're right...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:23 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

To clarify... ...

Single Weapon Style:
--------

Applies only to single one-handed melee weapons.

There is debate over whether it also applies to single one-handed range weapons, but the general consensus is that they do not.

Two-Handed Weapon Style:
--------

Applies only to two-handed melee weapons.

--------

None of the Weapon Style Proficiencies will stack with another.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote