Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 08:42 AM   #1
Darc_Mind
Dungeon Master

I just hit level 12 on my Kensai and dueled him to a Mage. I chose 12 over 13 for many reasons, despite reports about 13 being the ideal level for dualing(extra half of and attack, THACO, and slightly lower saves weren't worth baby sitting this bad boy halfway thru the game). First, I wanna be able to take advantage of his abilities before the game is mostly over. Second, I wanna have as many of the high end spells as possible. For my weapon I chose 2h sword, 5 points in mastery, 2 points in 2h fighting and my extra point in quarter staffs. I have read that staffs are great for mastery as well as dual wielding katanas, I just like 2h swords better and there seems to be more powerful ones available in the beginning stages of th game. My main concerns are how long will I have to baby sit this guy from the beginning of chapter 3 before he starts to come out of his shell. I just went to meet the Shadow Thief leader and am hoping I can get him to level 12 mage, hopeully long before I start ToB. Last, but definitely not least, what would some good 2h swords be for this characters and where or how would I find them.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Lilicor is a decent +3 2 handed sword that you can talk to. Found in the sewers of the Copper Coronet in any chapter.

The Warblade +4. Can be bought by Ribald from his 'secret stash' once you return from the underdark in the later game.

At this time, you can also forge the Silver Sword with Ribald.

If you are soloing, it's very easy to go up levels as a mage by learning spells that you have kept back especially to learn (requires ToB). Just learn them all, then erase spells you have duplicates of. Repeat. I got my character upto L13 as a mage simply by doing this.

PS. You really should have gone the one extra level, the benefits of it are so great [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-01-2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Dace De'Briago ]
Old 04-01-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Annatar
Mephistopheles

I agree with Dace, you just washed down all the conventional ways for Dualing a Kensai to Mage... secondly... your profifincies... are also pretty un-conventional [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] for a Kensai.

But if you like it this way... it's your choose.

I see that the Kensai--->Mage Dual is populair (there are now 3 a 4 people that are currently playing with them [img]smile.gif[/img] )

I'm currently at level 13/24 solo, and have the following prof.:

***** Katana's (Sanchuuduko +4 & Celestial Fury +5)
*** 2 Weapons
** Staffs (Staff of the Magi/Staff of Spellswining)

1 Time stop is enough to obliterate any enemy (packs included)

Currently at the Underdark, just made my way in to Ust Natha.

Having real powergaming fun [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
Darc_Mind
Dungeon Master

Got Lilarcor, just wondering what I could keep an eye out for later. Also, I'm running a 6 man group, I don't need a powergamer tweaker kensai/mage. I did the scroll thing, but i doesn't prfit much unless you wanna disban your whole group and recollect them, 5-12 shouldn't be too bad of a baby sitting job, about to take on the planar sphere now for some more XP.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Your mage will level up pretty fast at the beginning... but when you reach higher levels (13 - 15) you'll get a hard time with a pack of 6.

Don't know if you are evil, but Soul Reaver is nice and the Vorpal Blade is also considerd heavy... though you get them pretty late in the game (chapter 6 - 7) There is also the warblade +4 at the Adv. Mart after the Underdark.

Joluv (Bonus Merchant) has one pretty powerfull 2-handed sword, Joril's Dagger +3, rather expensive though for the beginning but defenitly worth taking if you have enough $$.

Lilacor is decent enough for the beginning...

[ 04-01-2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Annatar ]