Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-22-2003, 10:21 PM   #1
Sythe
Ra

Well I never actually played REAL dungeons and dragon pen and paper style. But how long must I wait to find a group that is intrested. Well I discovered dungeons and dragons when I played BG1. Came out in 98 and I was a little tyke at the time. The rules were very complicated and all of that but I do remember playing it. Then somehow it got lost and many months later I spent hours searching for it. About 2 or was it 3 years later I saw BG 2. I looked at the back and was intrested in it and remember how much fun I had playing bg 1. I went to sleep and sandy clause came down the chimmney and gave it to me [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img] I installed it right away and started playing it. I became addicted to it in fact to addicted so addicted it messed up my eyesight. (DAMMIT) But that didn't stop me, I was halfway through the game but my PC got messed for several months. Bought BG 1 and beaten it.. Beaten it too and wonder what to play next. At school they were selling a whole lot of old Dragon magazines for 25 cence each! I didn't have money and frowned next day it was all gone man! My PC was finnaly workin again and played BG2 again I was halfway through but I lost a key to get to the next dungeon and I searched for cheats. Then I accidently stumbled into Ironworks I was just about to get the cheats and leave. I accidently clicked on forum and thus I was taken to the page read and became very intrested. Heck I signed up for it and have been here since. But I didn't finish BG2 and I was spoiled by the ending 2 times from people who didn't bother putting spoiler tags! But later I beaten it and recently i found out my best friend bought all those dragon magazines! He gave em all to me and I just finished them all and woo wee I found my local dream wizards store which sold Dungeons and dragons stuff and anime and all the like. This is how I stumbled upon d N D!
Old 01-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
SomeGuy
Unicorn

My uncle.If it were'nt for him,you would'nt even know who i am. He got me interested in D&D.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-22-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

My dad, he got me into BG which was the 'Gateway Game' to D&D
Old 01-22-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
Judas Maccabeus
The Magister

I discovered it through my older brothers. Unfortunately, there is very little in this area, so I never got much of a chance to play it. Then I discovered Baldur's Gate. Never looked back.
<br /><br />\'Far be it from me to do such a thing as flee from them! If our time has come, let us die bravely for our kinsmen and not leave a stain upon our glory!\'<br />--1 Maccabees 9:10
Old 01-22-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
My dad, he got me into BG which was the 'Gateway Game' to D&D
I thought LoTR started it all?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-22-2003, 10:42 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

My first experience with AD&D was rather roundabout, I had a subspcription to nintendo power at the time (way back when they were still covering SNES games) and some new kid in my algebra class asked if he could borrow one when I was done, as I kept numerous issues in my bookbag I loaned him the one I had been reading, (I'd read through it a few times already) and through talking he eventually got me into Magic the Gathering, and that eventually turned into a full blown D&D campaign. as far as interest I had always been interested in the genre, since watching the cartoon the hobbit, and return of the king, and eventually in 5th grade when I read the books and began expanding my readership of fantasy novels.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:28 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

RBF showed me

Closest thign to D&D before him were the bungie games: Pathways into Darkness, Myth The Fallen Lords, Soulblighter, thinking WAY WAY WAY back... a REALLY REALLY old Fantasy Game that I played after school with 4 freinds on a LAN with our (get this) apple IIGS's [img]tongue.gif[/img] (We didnt even have a mouse!) called the eye of the beholder or something like that... yeah i guess that was pretty close to D&D...

I was really introduced to d20 games with battletech back when the TV show was popular I got me the board game and joined some freinds and we played it and mech warrior II Lan games until I left for Cuba. It was big in Germany, though after that it was mostly subtle if even remotley that. I dunnow what happened. I recnetly tried restarting a Battletech game online but all the players refused to get along in it >_> and its hard to describe moving troops with no game board... I never really thought fantasy was even remotley interesting until about 3 years ago when I decided to hop on the D&D bandwaggon. Since then i've found myself being really big on it.

[ 01-22-2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 01-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #8
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

My older brother used to play it. I saw some of the books and I though they were awsome, then I started playing and realized the pictures were as cool as the game was
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 01-23-2003, 01:31 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh man, I don't know if any of you know of the OLD Board game called 'Dungeon' by TSR? That was my first 'AD&D' type game. in the early 80's.

Next was the Intellevison Dungeons and Dragons game--1983, then on to the Commie64 and 128 with the 1st few Goldbox games..

Anyone here remember "Dungeon" the Board Game?
... I remember that Black Pudding was hard as hell in the blue area.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-23-2003, 01:50 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I discovered D&D when me and my friend bought some old D&D rulebooks in a yard sale, years ago. It was the Basic Dungeon and Dragon, Elf was a class back then, and overland adventure where not covered int hat first book. That was part of the expert section of those rule, covered in the next book. I remember just having the xp table up to level 6. What was cool was that each level had a title.

I read that book, but I knew nobody who was playing D&D, so it stayed there for a while. Then my friend bought another book, and sold it to me for 25˘. That gave me my interest back, and I decided to play it. I explained the rules as best as I could to my cousin, and made an "adventure".

I drew a little dungeon map, but I put all sort of strange things inside, and just put monsters at random, including random encounter. My cousin was my only player, he had never read the rules, and we only has one set of dice.

The dungeon was so messed up. He was a level one good fighter (back then, aligment, was only good ,neutral, or evil). But I had put treasure like a crown worth 100000 gold, and other such treasures. Every time he killed a strange monster, he insisted on bringing the body with him, just in case that was worth something.

That dungeon was inhabited by anything, from kobold, to faeries, to blacksmith. I pulled monsters at random from the monster list. I really liked playing, but my cousin did not, for some reason.

Edit: GRRRR!!!! I pressed submit by mistake, before finishing my "little" tale.

So I stoped playing, for lack of player. Then, a few years later, The same friend that had sold me the previous book for 25˘ came to me and told me: "Look! I bought a Dungeon and Dragon book, and it's new! It's Advanced stuff, and it's (Edit) second (Edit) edition! It must be cool!"

So, I obviously could not let him become more experienced at Dungeon and Dragon than I was, so I went to the shop and bought the Dungeon Master guide, even if I had never read the player's handbook. Somehow, I found out that the Dm's guide was a lot better at explaining how to Run a campaign than the little Basic Dungeon and Dragon book I had about how to play a level 1 to 4 character, and I found those new rules to be interesting, so I went on a buying rampage, and (Edit) bought every 2nd edition books the seller could get his hands on (Edit). I read them all, but still didn't know anyone that was playing.

Then, some time later, I found out one of my classmate was playing, and asked him if I could join his group. Of course, by that time, I already owned about 30 or so 3rd edition books, and had read them all multiple time, so I already knew more about the game than they did, but we played a lot, and I learned even more, and not long after that I became the Dm. We played every days, and I spent at least 6 hours a day planning my quests and adventures (that was before I found out about the internet). I also convinced my cousin to try Dungeon and Dragons again, and this time, he really liked it, so we spent all our time playing. He nearly moved to my house. I think that for 3 or so years, he spent every weekend sleeping over at my house. We played D&D all day long, only stoping to get a 4-5 hours of sleep before starting again.

So while I while my weekend where spent playing D&D with my cousin, my week where spent playing with my regular gaming group.

That was when I was in high school. And I think I spent about 90% of my time playing D&D.the last 10% was spent sleeping and eating. I was getting no more than 4-5 hours per night.

Then my cousin started doing drugs, stealing, and hanging out with bums, and I lost touch with him. Those 3 years of almost no sleep really exhausted me, and I made a burn out. I quited school in the last year of high school, my regular group of player moved to different colleges, and I lost track of them.

I played a little more with other people after that, but they moved to college too, and I also lost track of them, so I stoped D&D, again for lack of players, and got a computer instead.

I still kept buying every new 2nd edition books, and now I buy a 3rd edition book once in a while, but I didn't get to play since then.

Yes, yes, I edited my post 5 times so far, but it's almost 3 am, it's not my fault! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-23-2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]