Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have to say I am a little disappointed in some of the summoning spells. Graphics are cooler though especially the skeleton pulling himself out of the ground.

For example I use summon undead and I can only get two skeletons, usually I only get one. Same with creature summoning I and II these spells aren't even worth using, at least III gives a couple decent creatures. I guess it is probably a good thing though as it forces me to change tactics a little since I can't summon my own little army of fodder with a single spell as in other forgotten realm rpg's.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 06:15 PM   #2
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I was disapointed with the summoning in this game also. What disapointed me was the fact there is a limit. I remember in Baldur's Gate one you could summon as many as you wanted so you could have a virtual army at your command boy it was fun. I do agree however that there had to be a limit though because it would make the game too easy. Of course it is possible for a clever sorcerer to get around the limits...
Old 10-25-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
I have to say I am a little disappointed in some of the summoning spells. Graphics are cooler though especially the skeleton pulling himself out of the ground.

For example I use summon undead and I can only get two skeletons, usually I only get one.
What level is the caster? Don't give up on Animate Dead just yet...

[ 10-25-2002, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: pcgiant ]
Old 10-25-2002, 06:27 PM   #4
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

I think the summons are just right.

When facing low level enemy parties, some fodder is handy to draw away their attention for a while, while you are buffing up for the real fight, or youre already casting death spells and FoD's.

And when facing high lvl magic creatures, fodder is almost useless cuz the enemy will cast death spell on sight, without *that* much delay.

As far as I can see, only high lvl non-magic users would require lotsa fodder to divert away the attention.
-
SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

--

-
The crazed fighter in Nalia's Keep, on second floor who has a flail part, i couldnt get anywhere with him without web+SS (lvl9 sorc)
Old 10-25-2002, 06:30 PM   #5
Alson
Galvatron

Disappointed?!
Summons are some of the strongest spells in the game.

Each summon is useful - even the Rabid Dog will take a punch from a Dragon, or will soak a spell from a Lich. Having your summons taking the damage instead of you is good.

The Spiders from the Spider Spawn spell are powerful.
They are immune to Web (Spiders + Web will make any low-mid level fight too easy), and have Poisonous attacks, many times per round. The poison bypasses through Stoneskins, and kills Trolls.

The Skeleton Warriors from the Animate Dead spell (after level 15) are amazingly powerful. They can even be your main summon in ToB - just ask Dundee.
90% MR, Low THAC0, "Undeadish" Immunities, long Duration - you name it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Perfect for fighting both Steel and Magic.

Invisible Stalkers enters the play invisible, making it good for fighting agaist Mages. He also has some minor immunities.

Mordekainen's Sword are just too mean for words to describe. They're 100% resistance to all damage (slashing, fire, etc) except for pure magic damage, and are immune to mind affecting spells. The best tanks in the games, maybe excluding the PC.

Don't even make me ramble about the Clone spells (Mislead, Project Image, Simulacrum) or Planetars (probably the best spell in the game overall, but it's a matter of style)...
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 06:43 PM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Maybe it is because I am only at low levels. I think Aerie went up 1(cleric) or 2(mage) levels so far. I have been pleased with my lesser Fire (Nalia) and Air elementals (wand) though, even the lesser ones. They have lasted long enough, and have done much damage to both beholders, and goloms. Without them I would probaly have ended up losing several battles.

[ 10-25-2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:48 PM   #7
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

Like you said, at low level, there are no good summoning spells. Eventually you will have plenty of summoning options. Even at low level, Totemic Druids really can summon some muscle. The special Spirit Animal ability is one of the most underrated, unheard of summoning power. They have high HPs, immune to non-magical weapons, poison bite, immune to mind attacks (perfect for Mind Flayer fodder). Druid's get Fire Elemental summoning by the end of Nalia's quest. With TOB, their elemental summoning is incredable.

Mage summoning spells are the best when employed correctly in specific situations. Invisible Stalker is the best for Mind Flayers. The two spells that summon those anti-mage spirits really are funny. I love thier change of tactics when they see them coming. Mordenkainen's Sword kicks *** in ALL situations. I'm sure there are even better high level ones; but, I can't think of any right now. Keep on summoning!
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:50 PM   #8
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Crowded room + Gate = Lotsa fun

Seriously though, try a normal earth elemental... they beat skeleton warriors hands down... the fact that they can turn against you and the mental battle are the only downsides to them. Then there is the fact that you can have a horde of skeleton warriors or only a few earth elementals in the same ammount of time.
The earth elementals will beat the skeleton warriors 1 on 1 though, its your call.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:02 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

ARCANE

Monster Summoning I( lvl 3)

Death Spell/Time Stop fodder.

Monster Summoning II( lvl 4)

Spider Spawn( lvl 4: Caster lvl 7-11)

Spider Spawn + Web(s) = Ownage. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Poison attack extremely deadly when stacked multiple times. Poison attack will also finish off Trolls.

Spider Spawn( lvl 4: Caster lvl 12+)

Sword Spiders have no poison attack but have extreme attacks per round. Combine with Web to see them shred enemies alive in a matter of rounds.

Wizard Eye( lvl 4)

The perfect scout. Use it to guide your summons/illusions when you do not want your party members to enter a battle.

Animate Dead( lvl 5: Caster lvl 7-14)

Animate Dead( lvl 5: Caster lvl 15+)

One Skeleton Warrior, 90% Magic Resistance, Physical Damage Resistance, Immunity to Psionics, Charm, Stun, Hold, Feeblemind and Non-Enchanted Weapons. Haste them for great fun. 5 of these babies can take on 5 Demon Knights and win... ...

Conjure Lesser Air/Earth/Fire Elemental( lvl 5)

I got better things to memorise... ...

Monster Summoning III( lvl 5)

Carrion Summons( lvl 6)

Rightttt... ...

Conjure Air/Earth/Fire Elemental( lvl 6)

You would think the higher level summons to be better than the lower level ones... ...

Invisible Stalker( lvl 6)

Yay... something good finally. I would still prefer Spider Spawn though.

Summon Nishruu( lvl 6)

Every enemy Mage's nightmare, and yours if you do not have the Baldurdash Fixpack installed.

Wyvern Call( lvl 6)

Fodder, definitely fodder.

Cacofiend( lvl 7)

I got better spells to memorise. Can be fun to gate in one in a tavern though. Just make sure you save first.

Mordenkainen's Sword( lvl 7)

Ever seen a Dragon weep in frustration because it could not hurt something? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Immunity to all weapons, elemental damage and psionics. Death-based spells still work, as do Charm, Petrification and Magic Damage. One of the ultimate tank summons.

Summon Djinni( lvl 7)

Fodder.

Summon Efreeti( lvl 7)

Fodder.

Summon Hakeashar( lvl 7)

Other than immunity to non-enchanted weapons, Summon Nishrru works just as well.

Summon Fiend( lvl 8)

Animate Dead is better.

Gate( lvl 9)

Dudeeee! Yer level 18+, you don't need no stinking Pit Fiend already. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

PRIEST

My fingers are tired so I will take the shortcut.

Fodder: Animate Dead( lvl 3: Caster level 7-14), Animal Summoning I( lvl 4), Animal Summoning II( lvl 5), Animal Summoning III( lvl 6), Conjure Earth Elemental( lvl 7), Gate( lvl 7)
Good: Call Woodland Beings( lvl 4), Conjure Animals( lvl 6), Conjure Fire Elemental( lvl 6)
Godly: Animate Dead( lvl 3: Caster level 15+), Aerial Servant( lvl 6)

Also, always remember the Golden Rule. Always Haste your summons.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:06 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:
Crowded room + Gate = Lotsa fun
Seriously though, try a normal earth elemental... they beat skeleton warriors hands down... the fact that they can turn against you and the mental battle are the only downsides to them. Then there is the fact that you can have a horde of skeleton warriors or only a few earth elementals in the same ammount of time.
The earth elementals will beat the skeleton warriors 1 on 1 though, its your call.
It is not about summon vs summon, but summon vs the enemy. An Earth Elemental will fare very badly against a Demon Knight compared to the Skeleton Warrior. Then there is the fact that a Mind Flayer needs only one hit to KO an Earth Elemental. The list goes on... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote