Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-24-2001, 04:19 PM   #11
Tancred
White Dragon

Interesting Question.
Supposing all things were in isolation, and it was Sarevok, the character you face at the end of BG1, and Irenicus, the mage you face at the end of BG2, fighting it out. First thing to consider are their abilities.
Sarevok is a level 15 fighter. Bearing in mind that in all fairness he'd be wielding the Sword of Chaos, a +2 two-handed sword with lifestealing capabilities, he's rather hard. He has about 135 hp, reasonable. Most important would be his powerful Magic immunity (yes, it is an immunity, with only one weakness - Magic Missiles) and sky-high fire resistance. This makes him immune to almost anything Irenicus could throw at him, and let's face it - would Irenicus actually think of using Magic Missile, when all his high-power magics seem to fail? Would he have the time?
Irenicus, on the other hand, is a level 30 mage, and that is it. He has no resistances or other special abilities - I am assuming we're not referring to Slayer-Irenicus here - other than his incredible arsenal of magics. In fact, he seems to be a more capable mage than Elminster.
A fight between the two would seem to go thus:
Irenicus casts a spell.
Sarevok shrugs it off.
Irenicus casts another spell.
Sarevok ignores it.
Sarevok strikes.
Irenicus makes himself immune to magical weapons.
Sarevok waits for Irenicus' protections to expire.
Irenicus summons some things.
Sarevok kills them.
Sarevok strikes and wounds Irenicus.
Irenicus teleports away.
Irenicus casts a spell at Sarevok.
Sarevok ignores it.
Irenicus summons something big and scary.
Sarevok fights it.

And so on. It's the classic mage vs. fighter argument.

A more interesting thought would be - would Irenicus and associates prove a match for Sarevok and company? We'd have Irenicus, Bodhi (looking bad for Team Sarevok already), Suneer(a mage), Ilyich(a duregar) and a few vampires and golems. On the other side, we'd see Sarevok, Tazok, Angelo, Semaj, Tamoko, Slythe and Krysten, Mulahey, Davaeorn and some assorted followers of Bhaal.

Interesting...
Old 05-24-2001, 04:24 PM   #12
Shadow
Manshoon

Slythe was a tuff fight. Heh.

I killed him with lighting bolt from a wand(bounced back and forth)

I lost my money paying for reseructions!

Since (BG1 spoiler)

Sarevoks is child of bhaal, Bhaal would use his godlike abilities and make sarevok immune to everything!

IS IRENICUS CHILD OF GOD??? DONT THINK SO!!!
Old 05-24-2001, 04:31 PM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

sarevok. he is immune to magic... so whats the use of irenicus now?

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe
Old 05-24-2001, 04:37 PM   #14
Glycerine
Manshoon

If Irenicus is level 30, he'd wipe the floor with Severok. There are so many different tactics he could use. One thing he could do is simply gate in high level monsters, keeping himself hasted and invisible.

And how about Tensor's Transformation? How would the battle go if the first thing Irenicus cast was a host of defensive spells (Blur, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Simulacrum, Improved Mantle, etc...) and then cast Tensor's Transformation. And what about Time Stop? Just because Severok is immune to magic doesn't mean he's immune to time being stopped...

I think the clear winner here is Irencius...easy. At level 30 he has enough magic to use pretty much any tactic.

Glycerine
Old 05-24-2001, 04:54 PM   #15
jabidas
Silver Dragon

For pure power irenicus obviously wins and i believe its possible to lower sarevoks resistance isnt it.

Personality wise Irenicus was really creepy the whole people in jars thing was relitavly unerving and having him in your dreams was brilliant.

Sarevok had way more mystery though you didnt know who he really was and what he was for until way into the game and it was really a lot more interesting trying to figure him out, Jon was really fun as well though

------------------
Old 05-24-2001, 04:54 PM   #16
Shadow
Manshoon

IRENICUS??? no?

Casts time stop takes 9/10 of a round and since sarevok has sword of chaos hed run up and kill him before he finishes casting the darned spells!!

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 05-24-2001, 05:04 PM   #17
Magambo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have played BG1 and BG2 from start to finish twice for both games.
I would have to say that the toughest battle I had in either of them
was the final demon (forget its name) in Tales of the Sword Coast. That
was one tough fight.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:15 PM   #18
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Story wise-Sarevok

Battle-Sarevok

Who was tuffer to beat-errmm for some reason i think Irencuis,just seemed harder for some reason
Old 05-24-2001, 05:22 PM   #19
Tancred
White Dragon

Do remember to factor in that Sarevok, I feel, is a more creative, somewhat more intelligent person than Irenicus. The plot of BG is more or less all down to Sarevok, after all... from the first attempt on your life all the way to the final showdown at the palace, it's all been a plan within a plan within a plan. Sarevok double-crosses, schemes, plots and connives, making up for his deficiencies with sheer cunning. Sarevok seems much more 'evil', not caring who lives or dies, loving no-one and nothing, living for his own goals, willing to sacrifice an entire continent to elevate himself to godhood.
Irenicus, by contrast, seems to have been something of an opportunist, and rather easily led by his sister. After his banishment, he grows colder and colder, thinking about a way to restore what he has lost, losing what is left of his personality in a frantic search to avoid the curse upon him. You could almost pity the man he was for what he has become. But his plots seem to be those of an amateur villain, taking things for granted and never thinking things through.

Tancred
Old 05-25-2001, 03:31 PM   #20
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

I guess the real question is who did you find tougher at the end of the game. Have to say Sarevok, at least when you ran away he chased after you (and at pace), the first time I fought him, I didn't realise he was magic resistant to 100% and did the old web/cloudkill thing, imagine my irritation when he came charging across and started beating my head in, while his mates cast fireball after fireball after him, dead annoying it was.

Meanwhile with Irenicus I merely summoned tons of cheesy monsters sat back and peppered him (hom mad is that staff of summon dumpy monsters?)