Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-15-2003, 02:01 AM   #11
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

At first I saw this at newspaper I thought this was a joke, then when I saw this thread then I realise this is for real. I just hope some of my friends in that region is not one of them.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:16 AM   #12
SecretMaster
Apophis

This is really horrible. Those poor people. And even when this goes away, the aftermath will be devasting, droughts and stuff.

REMOVED

[ 08-15-2003, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
Old 08-15-2003, 04:07 AM   #13
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
This is really horrible. Those poor people. And even when this goes away, the aftermath will be devasting, droughts and stuff.

And where is the U.S. lending their helping hand that they are always talking about? Spending billions of dollars hunting down this one man who most likely will not live long (god i love my country)
Erm... i think we can take care of ourselves, thank you very much.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:52 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What's the US got to do with a French heatwave??? Don't politicize this, SecretMaster - that was a very poor attempt at trying to get a bite. This is NOT the time, the place or the forum to be taking potshots.

To others following this - I'd appreciate it if you gave SecretMaster's comment the treatment it deserves - by ignoring it and focussing on the main topic of the thread. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:03 AM   #15
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
It makes a difference if you've been acclimatised to the weather. I would imagine that most Europeans used to perhaps a 25 - 28 deg summer, & suddenly found temperatures at 40 deg, would be quite discomfited, to say the least.
Well that's maybe an english summer temp yeah, but southern frace has temps up in the low 30's every year as do most central european countries. Eastern Europe is even warmer in the summer as it's landlocked (and colder in the winter). Typically in eastern europe summer temps will be around 35C with winter temps going down to -15 and -20. Records lows have reached -35C in the last century....luckily not quite as cold as Russia
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 08-15-2003, 09:22 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I think the prolonged heat is in places where they just aren't used to it now. I know that for a while Moiraine says her town had water problems due to the heat no rain.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:13 PM   #17
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
What's the US got to do with a French heatwave??? Don't politicize this, SecretMaster - that was a very poor attempt at trying to get a bite. This is NOT the time, the place or the forum to be taking potshots.

To others following this - I'd appreciate it if you gave SecretMaster's comment the treatment it deserves - by ignoring it and focussing on the main topic of the thread. Thank you.
Memnoch, really sry for those who I offended. I wasn't really thinking straight mainly because I'm really tired and haven't sleeped much and from swimming and mowing my lawn. That and this whole power outage thing is really annoying because they cut off our power during the day and it goes back on at night. So my deepest apologies to anyone I offended, and I do admit that it was a stupid thing I posted and I went outta hand.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Memnoch, really sry for those who I offended. I wasn't really thinking straight mainly because I'm really tired and haven't sleeped much and from swimming and mowing my lawn. That and this whole power outage thing is really annoying because they cut off our power during the day and it goes back on at night. So my deepest apologies to anyone I offended, and I do admit that it was a stupid thing I posted and I went outta hand. [/QUOTE]Don't worry about it - just don't do it again, eh. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2003, 05:16 PM   #19
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
I thought this was just a heatwave like you guys get every 5 years or so but I'm obviously wrong. My thought go to all those in the region
unfortunately it's not quite like the 'every-five-years' heatwave. actually, this has been the warmest summer since regular temperature measurements have started (at least here in Slovenia and i guess across most of central and eastern Europe). the problem with this years' summer is there's been frequent periods with temperatures in the 35-40+ degrees range (these are 'official' temperatures recorded at hidrometeorological measuring stations; 'real' temperatures nearer the ground can be several degrees higher, especially on surfaces like concrete or asphalt) for many days in a row (week, two...). for instance, there's been around 40-45 days with temperatures above 30 in my area this year, while the previous record was 33 such days in a year! this June was about 5 degrees warmer than the long term average and was hotter than average July temperatures. not to mention the drought that's been going on for several months now, interrupted by the occasional severe storms, with hail destroying what little crops had survived the drought and heat.
no doubt, this has been one fu**** up summer...