Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I need a good spyware/adware thing(not sure what to call it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Any good suggestions out there? Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Adaware and Spybot are both good free choices. Google them to find their websites to download.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
Zebodog

MS Antispyware is pretty good also.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I concur with TDC. Haven't tried the MS version, so I've no opinion there.

TrendMicro also offers an on-line spyware/malware scan. It picks up some things that Spybot and AdAware don't, so it's worth it as a final line of defense.

And if you're more technical and savvy, look at HiJack This. Rather than looking for bad programs, it looks for bad behaviors and lets you decide what to do with them. It can be very, very helpful. And very, very tedious, too, if you don't have good access to Google when you review the logs.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by T-D-C:
Adaware and Spybot are both good free choices. Google them to find their websites to download.
I'vbe got both, as once in while one will pick something up that the other has missed. AFIK, these have kept me spyware free, not that much finds its way onto my PC anyway.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:27 AM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

If you don't mind paying then zone alarm security suite is quite good. It is firewall, antivirus and anti-spyware in one. I installed it on my mum's computer and it offers good protection.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

All the new NAV 2005 and NIS 2005 have Anti-spyware as well. But you wanted something free so thats out of the question
Old 08-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

There are many, sometimes you need more than one, on ocassion one will detect the other. Decisions.

Easy choice:
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

In my experience the M$ Antispy software only has a 99% accuracy rating. Which is pretty darn good for free, and will detect some of the others as well. But, you have to provide M$ with way more info, and register non XP, and allow your XP to be scanned prior to download.

Or, you could join the Penguin Army, and not be bothered with thess mundane annoyances.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Not be bothered meaning just live with them? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

No. You know, the OS M$ doesn't want you to use, with web-browser that is not under daily attacks.

http://www.linux.org/

[ 08-18-2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote